Game-Labs Forum

Colour Blind friendly

I happen to be one of the 10% of males in the world who are affected by colour blindness. An extremely high proportion are red green sensitive.

This makes it difficult or impossible to see certain aspects of the game.

Floating player name friendly or enemy,,,, not possible to discern, you have to alt to player list look up the player as ally or enemy and then decide your action, meanwhile you may have suffered damage or missed opportunities to score damage.

Target Marker, again missed opportunities or taking damage while you try and double check location of marker for firing correctly. (Marker is only easy to spot against pale sky due to contrast of colour. when it is against, land, sea, ships or even dark skies this marker can be very difficult to spot.)

PVP map edge marker

Options to select information to be displayed from a reasonable pallete choice would be ideal, as not all colour blind sufferers are sensitive to the same degree, or to the same colours and shades.

A simple 'win' would be to offer a medium/pale shade of Blue to be used for enemy names and targeting marker, pvp map edge is not bad but perhaps some kind of additional visual indicator could be used ? ocassional shimmering etc.

I hope you will consider adding some form of colour blind mod for final release. If it is hard for people to understand the issue, imagine trying to play the game without half of the screen GUI

• Like 9

I find the target marker can get lost if their is a lot going on screen and I am not colour blind. Oh and as this is being brought up can you make the "all" chat a different colour as occasionally it gets lost in the clutter on screen. The team chat is fine in blue. But the "all" needs a bright colour as well to make it stand out. Or maybe put the chat in a box with a dark background

Me too

Color blinds like me (but there are different types) do see the world like in shades of grey but in color, as strage as it may seem: so, if a green color is neither darker nor lighter than a red one (for example a red flower on a green bush), it is very difficult to differentiate (impossible to me to spot the red flower !). And the color of thin lines or small spots is really difficult to identify (I do see the line/spot, but cannot tell its color). That is why I never applied to become a fighter pilot and had so much problems in modern fighter simulators...

Here, I still have not tried the game so I could not give a specific advice, but in my opinion, dark red a light green could already be an option. Better if you offer a selection of colors for those who are easy with other pairs of colors.

Glad to know I am not alone in my strange world ;-)

I happen to be one of the 10% of males in the world who are affected by colour blindness. An extremely high proportion are red green sensitive.

This makes it difficult or impossible to see certain aspects of the game.

Floating player name friendly or enemy,,,, not possible to discern, you have to alt to player list look up the player as ally or enemy and then decide your action, meanwhile you may have suffered damage or missed opportunities to score damage.

Target Marker, again missed opportunities or taking damage while you try and double check location of marker for firing correctly. (Marker is only easy to spot against pale sky due to contrast of colour. when it is against, land, sea, ships or even dark skies this marker can be very difficult to spot.)

PVP map edge marker

Options to select information to be displayed from a reasonable pallete choice would be ideal, as not all colour blind sufferers are sensitive to the same degree, or to the same colours and shades.

A simple 'win' would be to offer a medium/pale shade of Blue to be used for enemy names and targeting marker, pvp map edge is not bad but perhaps some kind of additional visual indicator could be used ? ocassional shimmering etc.

I hope you will consider adding some form of colour blind mod for final release. If it is hard for people to understand the issue, imagine trying to play the game without half of the screen GUI

+ 

This is necessary. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If we have the technology to have friends name tags green and opponents name tags red - don't we also have the technology to have opponets name tags a larger font and UNDERLINED?

Seems like it might help all of us sort out friend/foe decisions - just sayin ....

A friend of mine got diagnosed with epilepsy recently and wanted to play this game. I sent the devs an message to with the online results this game had for upsetting him. I certainly don't expect any computer game to be eplilepsy friendly. But colour blind friendly should be easier

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they change the colors or make some kind of option for color selection - It's a real pain to have to manually check the flags of the ships im fireing on, just to make sure, that they're really my enemy.

Alternative what Ryan suggest, removeing the name colors entirely could work and might even be more fun IMO.

Myself and a group of players from Sea Lords Virtual Fleets, are currently in touch with the developers on this subject and have been putting together some material for them to review which we are hoping to have ready to forward by the weekend.

If anything new comes up that will put added argument/content on the subject we will definitely include it in our suggestions.

Once we have had feedback from them we will share the results or perhaps Game Labs will choose to do so themselves. Either way it is good that Game Labs are listening and hope to have some colour blind options planned for release game soon.

I think i mentioned it before in a post, but yes please thinking about the colours of the UI. 

Contrasting tones not colours is the best way to go about it. 

Red / yellow /blue are a good combination for most, otherwise  stick with the 3 primary colours. magentayellow, and cyan. (yes they are the real primary colours, no it doesn't matter what you were told in school).

The amount of things in my house that are pink or what ever entertains my girlfriend a lot.

I think i mentioned it before in a post, but yes please thinking about the colours of the UI. 

Contrasting tones not colours is the best way to go about it. 

Red / yellow /blue are a good combination for most, otherwise  stick with the 3 primary colours. magentayellow, and cyan. (yes they are the real primary colours, no it doesn't matter what you were told in school).

The amount of things in my house that are pink or what ever entertains my girlfriend a lot.

But according to you they are not really pink - just dithered magenta. ;)