Game-Labs Forum

Recruits and available guns vs cost

i64man

Gentlemen, Good morning or good day depending on which part of the world you are. I just have a question or maybe need some clarification. I have been playing the game for a little while now and everytime a major upgrade comes up, I start again. But what I have notice is that when you are on the Camp screen and you want to create a new Bde on the initial stages of the game, both the recruits and the guns if you have them on the pool they cost either very little or nothing at all, as long as you have the exact number of guns or more to equipped that new Bde. 

Now as the game progresses that is not the case. For example, I just finished Gettysburg as the CSA and capture over 5K Springfields 1861s. I outfitted some of my 3stars Bde with then since their manpower is at 1,500 men. Those units were at just over the 1,000 men per Bde. So I increase their number to 1,500 and changed the rifles to the Springfields, which I had on the Armory and still had to pay for the men and the guns.

Maybe I am miss-understanding something, but if you have the men and have the guns, shouldn't you have to either pay less or nothing until you go over the number of guns in your Arms room? If you exceed that number and want more, that is where you should start paying, Am I right? Or I am way off.... the thing is that I have check some videos and I see some guys with Bde at full strength and I can barely manage to get the units on my 3 Corps pass the 1,500 men strength. I do have some 1 star and 2 star units that I do get to max strength, but my best units, there is no way.

Edited by i64man

You must be missing something.

What you pay for in a brigade :

- Guns
- Commanding officer

- Horses when you create a new cav brigade (10$ per horse). Reinforcing an existing cav brigade doesnt cost any extra horse money.
- Veterans

If you have 1500 M1861 and 1500 men in your pool, you can :

- Reinforce a pre existing M1861 brigade with 1500 rookies or less for free

- Create a new brigade equipped with m1861s, with 1500 rookies for free if you have an officer available. If not the brigade will cost the price of the new officer you choose to recruit.

- Outfit a pre existing 1500-man brigade or less with m1861s for free

As the CSA, if you want to use all your manpower pool in all battles, you will have to rely on a lot mississipis and smoothbores including rebored farmers until antietam, especially if you pick government manpower reinforcements instead of guns. if you dont you will fight with small armies that are more vulnerable to union forces and you will have more troubles building a strong and numerous core of veterans (a lot of two stars). BY Gettysburg though you should probably be way into the process of replacing at least the smoothbores with some kind of rifled weapon.

Edited by Draluigi

Thanks Draluigi, then I must be missing something, because when I am reinforcing an existing bde with its officer intact, I am paying a lot of money. For example I reinforced one of my 3 stars units to 1500 men with CS Richmonds (the unit had a manpower after the battle of 1030) and in the Armory I had over 1000 CS Richmond available. I end up paying over $20K for just reinforcing that unit. I had other cases in which I paid more than that. Conversely, I can reinforce an existing Bde of 1 or 2 start with say M 1855 or Entfeld 1943 to 2000 men and pay less.

either I am doing something wrong or I might have a corrupted file somewhere because I am paying too much, in my opinion.

That is true, since these are veteran units and reinforcing them with rookies, you loose a lot of the veterancy....but the veterans cost too much, even with Army training and economy maxed out.... thanks.

Yes only rookies come for free. IMO veterans are only worth it if all your brigade slots for the coming battle are occupied and you predict to have money left after all these brigades have been fully reinforced to their max. Better guns, more men, more artillery, more sharpshooters is always more worth it. And also thicker brigades with better weapons gain more experience because they kill more ennemies, and lose less experience through rookie reinforcement beause of their size. So while providing you with more troops early, it's also a more cost effective way of breeding veterans. It is absolutely possible to play Gettysburg with all of your infantry with 2 stars without ever having reinforced anyone with veterans.

Edited by Draluigi