Game-Labs Forum

This is WRT the use of the word dismiss on the fleet page.

CHANGE the G**D*** word.

Dismiss != Delete.  Dismiss means to release or send away from present duties.  It does not mean delete, kill, terminate.  Given you have provided NO documentation, if you are going to delete our ships from the game -- and doing so w/o asking for a confirmation!!! -- use the phrase Delete from game so nobody misunderstands what is about to happen.

Edited by Genma Saotome
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Genma Saotome said:

CHANGE the G**D*** word.

Dismiss != Delete.  Dismiss means to release or send away from present duties.  It does not mean delete, kill, terminate.  Given you have provided NO documentation, if you are going to delete our ships from the game -- and doing so w/o asking for a confirmation!!! -- use the phrase Delete from game so nobody misunderstands what is about to happen.

sound like someone lost a ship?

41 minutes ago, Genma Saotome said:

-- and doing so w/o asking for a confirmation!!!

I know how you feel as you are not the first nor the last to lose stuff because the instructions were not clear enough.

The most common loss most players have incurred was after they purchased goods and left a port without OP and lost them all. Some players pointed that out in the forum and a warning, similar to the one about leaving port without guns/repair kits, was added.

Implementation of new things that make the game more intuitive is a bit slow, but overall it is moving towards the right direction. As a rule of thumb, I believe any action that may result in a loss of goods/ships should come with a warning.

51 minutes ago, Genma Saotome said:

CHANGE the G**D*** word.

Actually that is exactly what your doing, your sending it away for ever.   Though I do agree they should prob add to that:  Dismiss/Destroy ship. 

I mean where did you think it was being sent off to since the other options are Send to Dock and switch ships?

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Actually that is exactly what your doing, your sending it away for ever.   Though I do agree they should prob add to that:  Dismiss/Destroy ship. 

I mean where did you think it was being sent off to since the other options are Send to Dock and switch ships?

You....! The one using logic in a internet conversation. Get out the internet is no place for such things......:)

The problem is no so much the one word as it is the entire phrase

"{ Dismiss | Delete | Remove } ship from game" is completely comprehensible to everyone.

"{ Dismiss | Delete | Remove } ship" from fleet" is also completely comprehensible to everyone.

"{ Dismiss | Delete | Remove } ship" on the fleet tab does not explain what is about to happen happen.  Period.

And yes, I am really angry about this.  WORDS matter.  

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It was already at the dock -- I had just moved things from the hold to the warehouse. I did not want to switch ships but simply reduce the fleet from two to one and continue on with the one I had been sailing.  That left Dismiss.  You know... as in you dismiss staff from the meeting.  Everything goes back to the normal state.

Consider: If "dismiss ship" clearly means delete ship from game, then shouldn't "leave battle" also mean delete ship from game? Both phrases mean sending the ship away.  Can you imagine the fuss there would have been if "Leave battle" did delete ships?  Well, that's how angry I am about having my ship deleted in port. WORDS matter. These guys have been paid to do the job right. "Dismiss ship" as it presently works isn't doing the job right, it's doing a sloppy job when all the difference in the world could be achieved by adding "from game".

The objective for good online instructions from software professionals is not to be understood.    The objective is to be not misunderstood.   

On 6/22/2017 at 10:11 PM, CaptVonGunn said:

The funny part is this has been this way since I started playing 17 months agp

You....! The one using logic in a internet conversation. Get out the internet is no place for such things......:) 

The funny part is this has been this way since I started playing 17 months and being a logical being every player has also been playing for 17 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Gemma is absolutely right. DISMISS does NOT imply that something is killed or deleted.  "Class is dismissed" does not mean that class is deleted or killed or destroyed.  It means that the class is dispersed back to its home. 

This clearly appears to be an issue of English not being the first language by the devs. 

There is no reason to say 'dismiss' when you mean 'delete' -- this needs to be redressed.  This is such a basic customer service issue -- the ONLY correct answer from support, here, is -- "I'm sorry, that instruction is unclear. I'm restoring your ship. I'll notify the developers that this issue needs to be addressed as soon as possible so other people don't have the same problem."

Restore Gemma's ship.  Then restore mine, for the same reason.

If this problem isn't fixed and ships not restored, I don't see a reason to continue to support a game that doesn't support the players.

• Like 1