Game-Labs Forum

Ship durability

Seaman Stains

Question

I was forced to abandon this game for a while, but recently rejoined. Many changes have occurred, most for the better. I suppose the things I think are not for the better might make perfect sense to others (certainly to the devs because it got implemented).

What I'm most intrigued by is the durability of ships. Before the most recent wipe, ships had a durability of 5, meaning you could "lose" them 5 times. Now it seems they only have a durability of 1. I'm only a 1st Lt at the moment, and so am sailing a pickle (after losing my cutter several times through noobishness, aggressive tactics etc - but getting it back for free, just losing my MIGHTY 6 pounders). I can understand it having a durability of 1 as it was a "gift" - a "redeemable" for loyalty because I was part of the beta before the wipe.

But if I craft a ship, does it have a durability of 1 as well? If I buy a ship in the "shop", I can understand how someone might lose a ship a few times because they have attacked a larger force, but when they upgrade they sell the ship, and it might have only 1 or 2 durabilities left when you purchase it.

It seems to me that this durability of 1 would make people less inclined to spend in game gold to upgrade their vessel, as they might lose it at any moment, and make them reticent to enter combat, or to flee when it seems as if the odds might be even at best, or overwhelming at worst.

Is there durability 5 ships out there? Can someone enlighten me as to why all ships having a durability of 1 is a good idea, good for the game, or evens out the playing field?

8 answers to this question

Durability was a completely nonsensical idea back when POTBS invented. Good riddance.

I'd be 100% fine with going in the carebear direction with insurance and ship replacements from the admiralty for good service, but durability should stay dead.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, maturin said:

Durability was a completely nonsensical idea back when POTBS invented. Good riddance.

I'd be 100% fine with going in the carebear direction with insurance and ship replacements from the admiralty for good service, but durability should stay dead.

Are maybe do a fallback like POTBS did above the basic cutter.  Say one you level up a bit you can get a Brig or Cerbus that is a fall back (store stats of Oak/Crewspace?), but you can only get this ship if you have no other ships in your docks.  So that way your always in something other than a basic cutter once you rank up.  Still have to buy cannons and such for it but it's better than loosing all your ships in a few days and being stuck in a basic cutters.  With the added of teh ROOKIE Brig/Snow that could be a  way to do a basic ship that isn't just the basic cutter.  Very cheap version of ships that might stand up to low level AI, but not to equal tier store bought or player ships.  No mods or skill slots for them as they are ment to help you get back on your feet.  

10 minutes ago, maturin said:

I like the idea of insurance or ship replacements through the admiralty.

• Like 2

Free insurance would be the same as having extra durability, insurance that cost gold , would probably cause the whiners to complain about grinding. Low priced insurance that went up every time you made a claim interests me though

but yes, having your own pile of gold and thinking before setting sail sound best