Game-Labs Forum

Combat Marks

What is the true purpose of marks ? Do we really need them ?

They can be exchanged for permits and plans to build ship and a whole bundle of refits and equipment and crew specializations.

How does this differ from the old module system, in effect ? 

Acting as a effort measure to enable access to the Ships of the Line seems a acceptable measure, to a point although in reality is only delaying and not really providing a real gate to access by sheer effort of combat.

Let's keep the marks as they are then, Combat Marks. Make them untradeable between players. Products acquired by use of Marks can be traded. This provides a real sense of having to earn the marks with a definite objective and not turn them marks into mere coin.

My suggestions are the following:

- no drops. make all available at the Admiralty/Pirate Den, even the specials for Refits. Adjust the values. Make them worthy.

- Adjust Combat Marks values same as gold/xp rewards. A ship value is always the same. If BR difference is too high it doesn't matter. The base value is shared amongst the victorious captains with killer and assists being eligible. Killer gets the biggest slice.

- Marks cannot be traded. They can be exchanged in the Admiralty/Pirate Den.

- Items acquired from the Admiralty/Pirate Den can be traded freely

( obs. 100 marks. 5 alts farm 20 each. -or- 100 marks, whatever alts, at least 1 has to go to 100 as they can't bundle together )

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

can you explain this ....are you saying having alts and farming marks from them is  accepatable ?

We can trade marks right ? So to have 100 we simply need a few people to give us marks until we accumulate the 100.

What if we cannot trade marks ? The individual must actually earn 100.

Makes sense ?

• Like 1

I totally agree about removing drops/RNG from crafting/outfit/trims.

There's no real difference between "marks can be traded" and "items bought with marks can be traded" though.
Other than introducing lag, market risk, and inconvenience. 

Why would you grind on an alt? There's no real advantage because you can't readily multi box PvE mark grinds against bots unless somebody codes something ;)  so it it makes no difference really whether alt003 is grinding or main001. The supply is the same.

5 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

We can trade marks right ? So to have 100 we simply need a few people to give us marks until we accumulate the 100.

What if we cannot trade marks ? The individual must actually earn 100.

Makes sense ?

you havent explained your 5 alts making 20 marks a piece

whats to stop your 5 alts getting 100 marks each and trading you the upgrade or book ??

or putting upgrade on market at a low price for you to immediatley buy

taking your idea further we should just stop trading

1 minute ago, Snoopy said:

I totally agree about removing drops/RNG from crafting/outfit/trims.

There's no real difference between "marks can be traded" and "items bought with marks can be traded" though.
Other than introducing lag, market risk, and inconvenience. 

Why would you grind on an alt? There's no real advantage because you can't readily multi box PvE mark grinds against bots unless somebody codes something ;)  so it it makes no difference really whether alt003 is grinding or main001. The supply is the same.

Remove radom drops at all would be a great idea.

The point is some players known to try to exploit the sytem goes into empty port battle with 2 accounts at the same time so he gets twice as many ... but aswell i don't really see a difference in making admirality store items tradeable but marks not ... i can buy combat marks from shop in gustavia anyway right now for i think it was 3000 each so why actually having that marks at all? or are they left overs from those who sold their pve marks?

1 minute ago, Grundgemunkey said:

you havent explained your 5 alts making 20 marks a piece

whats to stop your 5 alts getting 100 marks each and trading you the upgrade or book ??

or putting upgrade on market at a low price for you to immediatley buy

taking your idea further we should just stop trading

no we should stop alts actually ... they take away some parts of gameplay ... no smuggler flag necessary to trade in enemy waters.

i know ... somehow sad but true ... and it was not ment that they actually should stop it because it's impossible but it would solve some problems and good things could come back cause noone could exploit it anymore ... 95%-99% of the people who have alts don't try exploit ... but those who do are a problem

Just now, Guruthos said:

i know ... somehow sad but true ... and it was not ment that they actually should stop it because it's impossible but it would solve some problems and good things could come back cause noone could exploit it anymore ... 95%-99% of the people who have alts don't try exploit ... but those who do are a problem

alts are devs biggest source of income i would guess

Just now, Guruthos said:

Thats why they have no interest not to allow the use of alts ... pure ecenomic decision

dunno ..but if players a deperate enough to unload a couple of hundred pounds/dollars/euros/ etc ..on buying alts why would you ban the use of them  ..its not a sound economic choice

i don't wanna blame the devs ... in fact the money they earn by this can help them to make this game even better than it is ... i really enjoy playing it ... and i know it's not possible to sucessfully avoid it ... even some games i used to play in the past you needed to even tell them you use 2 accounts from the same ip and promise you don't interact with each other or you got a ban ... i just mean some game mechanics are developed (like to allow you to go into enemy port under a high risk) to be able to avoid restrictions ... these are nearly useless because there are alts ... i'm just saying ... i know we all have advantage of alts .... me included even i don't have an alt

Edited by Guruthos

Idea is not about ALTS.

It is about giving worth to getting the Marks by making them individual rewards and not simply a currency.

It improves the correct application of player achievement towards exchange in the Admiralty in earnest.

- Do whatever you want with the modules/refits/bow figures but we will have to earn them -

As I see it it does affect the "alt machinations" indirectly but is not focused on that, was simply a observation.

Are we talking about marks or alts? In my opinion something has to change PvE is not PvP same as RvR is neither PvE and PvP. Therefore you cant generalize the marks.

I dislike the marks. They stand for everything that is bad in games. Excessive farming + Ganking.

A reputation system should not promote such things. Especially when we dont have a system that take care of BR disadvantages. I mean we still get a hell of a shit as reward when 5 ships sink 1. That is a bad game mechanic. Same as PvE is more rewarding than PvP on a PvP server.

Dump the admiralty store.

Add nation Repuation. The bigger your BR disadvantages the bigger your national huzzah

Books should get into National Shipyrad supply. The higher your perosnal reputation the more "Books" you get unlocked. Which book you unlock is RNG but every rank unlocks a new one. (similar to ship knowledge)

Perma mods get dumped as well.

Ship permits and Bp can be bought for money at a certain repuation lvl.

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Are we talking about marks or alts? In my opinion something has to change PvE is not PvP same as RvR is neither PvE and PvP. Therefore you cant generalize the marks.

I dislike the marks. They stand for everything that is bad in games. Excessive farming + Ganking.

A reputation system should not promote such things. Especially when we dont have a system that take care of BR disadvantages. I mean we still get a hell of a shit as reward when 5 ships sink 1. That is a bad game mechanic. Same as PvE is more rewarding than PvP on a PvP server.

Dump the admiralty store.

Add nation Repuation. The bigger your BR disadvantages the bigger your national huzzah

Books should get into National Shipyrad supply. The higher your perosnal reputation the more "Books" you get unlocked. Which book you unlock is RNG but every rank unlocks a new one. (similar to ship knowledge)

Perma mods get dumped as well.

Ship permits and Bp can be bought for money at a certain repuation lvl.

Reputation might be a good solution maybe the higher your reputation the lower prices get. but i am against everything what is random ... sry ... if you wanna unlock books like slots then you should be at least able witch book you wanna chose.

i think the 3 perma upgrate slots are good cause actually you lose more if you lose a ship and now by having the compat marks it's not that big loss anymore ...

but actually i don't really see a reason for having more than 1 currency in game as long as they are tradeable cause they in the end have a value in gold so if you wanna keep it make it not tradebale ... if you want to keep them tradeable better remove them and replace them directly by gold (i would prefer to pay everything directly with gold then gather marks) 

11 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Idea is not about ALTS.

It is about giving worth to getting the Marks by making them individual rewards and not simply a currency.

It improves the correct application of player achievement towards exchange in the Admiralty in earnest.

- Do whatever you want with the modules/refits/bow figures but we will have to earn them -

As I see it it does affect the "alt machinations" indirectly but is not focused on that, was simply a observation.

you brought up alts in your original post

im not haing a go directly ..i just dont see the difference ... between 5 people putting together 20 marks each ,, or  one person doing a 100 ...still the same activity same result

not been able to trade actually reduces the team work required in the game ..which is one of its best features

this is the suggestion. the alt footnote is just a side effect, not the main purpose.

Main purpose is to actually make the marks be worthy and not coins. You want them ? You get them. Or wait until someone gets them to get you the item you want.

- no drops. make all available at the Admiralty/Pirate Den, even the specials for Refits. Adjust the values. Make them worthy.

- Adjust Combat Marks values same as gold/xp rewards. A ship value is always the same. If BR difference is too high it doesn't matter. The base value is shared amongst the victorious captains with killer and assists being eligible. Killer gets the biggest slice.

- Marks cannot be traded. They can be exchanged in the Admiralty/Pirate Den.

- Items acquired from the Admiralty/Pirate Den can be traded freely