Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion On Loss Of Experience Slots

Not my idea, but I felt it needed a thread here. To quote Baptiste Gallouédec:

"Tree grinding for knowledges slots deletion was soo obvious it makes me laugh. It's great ofc, but i think sinking should gives negatives knowledge xp. So knowledges are not just a one time grind and we keep the possibility to meet diverse quality ships even later in the server.."

I also think this would add a good dynamic to the game. Loss of a ship in the real world certainly impinged on a captain's career prospects, it would be good if it did the same to us in game somehow.

Great idea Baptiste, hope I didn't steal your thunder, but I didn't see a thread, and thought your idea merited one.

• Like 1

It's a unique idea but what if you suck at combat like me?  =)  

Double penalty, lose your 1 dura ship AND Knowledge!  Take that you unskilled fool! :P

Meh, HTFU?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Because you think in term of massive loss of xp, it can very well be tuned so sinking makes you loose half of what a kill gives. As 5th slot require the most xp, it will take the same to loose it, a good ratio should be rewarded, not just a strong one time grind to get fully slotted speed/strongmasts/strongsails fireship all your life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, William Drayman said:

Not my idea, but I felt it needed a thread here. To quote Baptiste Gallouédec:

"Tree grinding for knowledges slots deletion was soo obvious it makes me laugh. It's great ofc, but i think sinking should gives negatives knowledge xp. So knowledges are not just a one time grind and we keep the possibility to meet diverse quality ships even later in the server.."

I also think this would add a good dynamic to the game. Loss of a ship in the real world certainly impinged on a captain's career prospects, it would be good if it did the same to us in game somehow.

Great idea Baptiste, hope I didn't steal your thunder, but I didn't see a thread, and thought your idea merited one.

<sarcasm>

Why don't you directly propose a system, that were you die or sink, you have to start all over again.

You die, no more XP, no more crafting XP, all ships, outposts and money gone, and just start from scratch.

Find more ways to chase players away from this game, why don't you.

</sarcasm>

Like I suggested in the patch thread, I think this could work if it was linked to the surrender mechanic: if you surrender you won't lose ship knowledge (because you keep your veteran crew, etc.)

This would be a bit like having officer lives, resulting in surrender being used more instead of fighting until you sink (or get your whole crew killed).

PS.

Besides, when your ship sinks, now you won't get a carbon copy (no durability) of it but rather you'll have to acquire a new one, and by extension, you should have to learn the individual characteristics of the new ship. Imagine having ship knowledge tied to a unique ship and being able to name it - I know this will only make it harder to entice people to go out and risk their ships, but it would bring some immersion to the game and another appreciation of each individual ship. As I said though, this may be counter-acting taking active part in PvP etc., I'm just making this up as I go along.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen

12 hours ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Not the worst idea but simply stop introducing more sinks. Money sinks x10, time sinks and now xp sinks. We and especially time limited players lose so much I'll make a profit from not leaving port soon.

that's a good one.

Maybe naval action legends will be for you guys who fear so much of loosing anything.

NA is not a f2p where grind is what keeps you in the game, ow have to be evolutive, not a one time grind, or everyone will become bored in 1st rate fully slotted/maxed with pockets full of gold and they will drop. The last maj was a good step in that way with marks/permits/dura.