Game-Labs Forum

I AM BORED: Why I am thinking of quitting Naval Action

Hello fellow captains and developers.

I would like to share with you my thoughts on the latest patch, and the changes that have been introduced in the game which, in my case, are forcing me to seriously consider quitting the game.

First of all, let me confess that i am no power gamer. Naval action is the first online game I have bought and probably the last. I have no double, triple or quadruple account, and the best I can do is 2-3 hours of playing daily, after long hours of boring office work. I'm just an average so-so captain that still struggles with the manual sails, and the aiming of my cannons.

I belong to a small clan in the Spanish Faction called La Santa Hermandad. Small but very tight and organized. Over the two years and many hours of talking over the TS, we have become friends, and right now they are the only reason I'm still playing Naval Action.

After the last patch, I have been working hard to try to recover from the wipe. To the best of my ability I have tried to earn money, doing missions and trading to be able to extract resources in order to be able to craft ships for my clan. I know my clan mates have been doing pretty much the same.

And after three weeks of work, I have the feeling of being pretty much where I started. I'm stuck, my keel has struck the shoals and I'm going nowhere.

Here is what I think the fundamental flaw of the patch: The imbalance between time invested versus rewards received. Money is too hard to earn, it takes a lot of time. All of this time spent earning money (missions/trade) is not spent doing the fun stuff (PVP). As a result, I AM BORED. This is especially sad because I have had long hours of fun and entertainment with the previous versions of this game, and i know the potential of Naval Action.

So, my humble suggestion would be: 1) Increase the amounts of rewards in the missions, 2) revert the economy to its previous version, in which trading was a viable way of earning money, and 3) lower the cost of resource extraction. These three simple things would free time for all of us to actually play the game, and enjoy the new game mechanics.

Also, transport between ports has become another very boring exercise. If I have only two hours to play I don't want to spend them sailing to Havana. Teleport to capital should return, maybe even tow requests.

An additional imbalance which is creating a lot of frustration is the fake port battles to earn conquest marks. This mechanic is being exploited by big clans to earn defence/conquest marks, which allows them building of bigger ships and widens the gap between small and big clans. I'm not saying conquest or defence marks should not be awarded in port battles, I'm saying that fake, staged battles with the sole purpose of farming conquest marks are creating a lot of frustration in some segments of the player community, which cannot, or are not allowed to participate in these port battles. A fake battle would be very easy to identify by the number of shots fired, damage done and ships sunk. If the goal of the NA developers is creating a realistic game and a level playing field for all players, I do not understand why this obvious and public exploit is allowed to remain.

I have shared my frustration with many other veteran captains in the Spanish faction, and i can see that they are all in a similar or worse situation.

Please, make the game easier and more fun, give us more money for our time, i'm fed up of doing boring mission after mission against super accurate raking expert IAs just to see all the money earned disappear inside my mines.

Thank you.

Don Sancho Navarro

Jefe de Escuadra

Edited by Don Sancho Navarro
  • Like 19

So, my humble suggestion would be: 1) Increase the amounts of rewards in the missions, 2) revert the economy to its previous version, in which trading was a viable way of earning money, and 3) lower the cost of resource extraction. These three simple things would free time for all of us to actually play the game, and enjoy the new game mechanics.

This is Exactly what I would suggest to start making this game FUN again.

Point 3 is fundamental, extraction is way too expensive.

• Like 7

opino exactamente lo mismo, yo tengo abandonado el juego porque es aburridísimo, ayer perdi un indefatigable en una batalla y perdi los únicos cañones que tenia (todavía tengo otro indefatigable), pero claro ahora otra vez sin cañones y para comprarlos tendría que hacer misiones otra vez con el cutter, Yo antes iba a todas las batallas de puerto y ahora no voy a ninguna, porque? por dos razones, el calentamiento es un autentico peñazo y no puedes transportar barcos de puerto a puerto. No hay mas que ver que para hoy solo hay una batalla de puerto. Luego esta lo de los barcos con una vida, te cuesta un horror conseguir armar un barco y si te lo hunden a tomar por saco todo lo que habias echo. Yo antes me podía hacer mis barcos yo solo, incluso primeras, pero ahora o estas en un clan muy grande o olvídate. Estos días e pensado que visto el panorama la palabra action casi deberían quitarla del nombre del juego, porque hay de todo menos acción. Personalmente no voy a volver a entrar al juego hasta el siguiente parche y que cambien todas esas cosas, lo único que hare es entrar al TS como hago estos días porque me gusta escuchar las cosas y opiniones que se comenta en el canal de VLTRA, pero hasta ahí.

Un saludo. davidyd

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davidyd said:

opino exactamente lo mismo, yo tengo abandonado el juego porque es aburridísimo, ayer perdi un indefatigable en una batalla y perdi los únicos cañones que tenia (todavía tengo otro indefatigable), pero claro ahora otra vez sin cañones y para comprarlos tendría que hacer misiones otra vez con el cutter, Yo antes iba a todas las batallas de puerto y ahora no voy a ninguna, porque? por dos razones, el calentamiento es un autentico peñazo y no puedes transportar barcos de puerto a puerto. No hay mas que ver que para hoy solo hay una batalla de puerto. Luego esta lo de los barcos con una vida, te cuesta un horror conseguir armar un barco y si te lo hunden a tomar por saco todo lo que habias echo. Yo antes me podía hacer mis barcos yo solo, incluso primeras, pero ahora o estas en un clan muy grande o olvídate. Estos días e pensado que visto el panorama la palabra action casi deberían quitarla del nombre del juego, porque hay de todo menos acción. Personalmente no voy a volver a entrar al juego hasta el siguiente parche y que cambien todas esas cosas, lo único que hare es entrar al TS como hago estos días porque me gusta escuchar las cosas y opiniones que se comenta en el canal de VLTRA, pero hasta ahí.

Un saludo. davidyd

Roughly translating what David says. He agrees with me, he is super bored. Yesterday he lost his indefatigable on a battle, and the only cannons he had. He is forced to do little missions with his cutter to recover. He used to participate in many port battles, but that is a thing of the past because warming up a region is boring and takes too much time of travelling, and port battles are too risky with one life ships. He believes the word "action" should be removed from the title. He will wait for the next patsh hoping these issues are fixed, and use the TS to get the latest gossip an opinions at the ULTRA channel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Sancho Navarro said:

I would like to share with you my thoughts on the latest patch, and the changes that have been introduced in the game which, in my case, are forcing me to seriously consider quitting the game.

First of all, let me confess that i am no power gamer. Naval action is the first online game I have bought and probably the last. I have no double, triple or quadruple account, and the best I can do is 2-3 hours of playing daily, after long hours of boring office work. I'm just an average so-so captain that still struggles with the manual sails, and the aiming of my cannons.

I belong to a small clan in the Spanish Faction called La Santa Hermandad. Small but very tight and organized. Over the two years and many hours of talking over the TS, we have become friends, and right now they are the only reason I'm still playing Naval Action.

After the last patch, I have been working hard to try to recover from the wipe. To the best of my ability I have tried to earn money, doing missions and trading to be able to extract resources in order to be able to craft ships for my clan. I know my clan mates have been doing pretty much the same.

And after three weeks of work, I have the feeling of being pretty much where I started. I'm stuck, my keel has struck the shoals and I'm going nowhere.

Here is what I think the fundamental flaw of the patch: The imbalance between time invested versus rewards received. Money is too hard to earn, it takes a lot of time. All of this time spent earning money (missions/trade) is not spent doing the fun stuff (PVP). As a result, I AM BORED. This is especially sad because I have had long hours of fun and entertainment with the previous versions of this game, and i know the potential of Naval Action.

Also, transport between ports has become another very boring exercise. If I have only two hours to play I don't want to spend them sailing to Havana. Teleport to capital should return, maybe even tow requests.

An additional imbalance which is creating a lot of frustration is the fake port battles to earn conquest marks. This mechanic is being exploited by big clans to earn defence/conquest marks, which allows them building of bigger ships and widens the gap between small and big clans. I'm not saying conquest or defence marks should not be awarded in port battles, I'm saying that fake, staged battles with the sole purpose of farming conquest marks are creating a lot of frustration in some segments of the player community, which cannot, or are not allowed to participate in these port battles. A fake battle would be very easy to identify by the number of shots fired, damage done and ships sunk. If the goal of the NA developers is creating a realistic game and a level playing field for all players, I do not understand why this obvious and public exploit is allowed to remain.

I have shared my frustration with many other veteran captains in the Spanish faction, and i can see that they are all in a similar or worse situation.

Please, make the game easier and more fun, give us more money for our time, i'm fed up of doing boring mission after mission against super accurate raking expert IAs just to see all the money earned disappear inside my mines.

Thank you.

Don Sancho Navarro

Jefe de Escuadra

I disagree. Game is harder and more challenging therefore better. you must be doing something wrong. I have done 0 trading and only pvp and have 1.5mil with lots of money donated to clan efforts and all outposts bought and 1x expanded dock space.

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 8

Agreeing that points 1 and 3 need a slight adjustment, such as adjusting oak mines price as they did with iron and improving some rewards for battles (although this I think they have done in the last patch). I think point two would be a big mistake, do you want to go back to a non-existent economy system where money is worthless and boats even less? Naval action legends: You have the ships and you only care about striking cannon, which is basically what you propose and where we arrived with the economy before the patch.

Estando de acuerdo en que los puntos 1 y 3 necesitan un ligero ajuste,  por ejemplo ajustar el precio de la minas de oak como hicieron con el hierro y a mejorar un poco las recompensas por las batallas (aunque esto creo que lo han hecho en el último parche). Creo que el punto dos sería un gran error, ¿quieres volver a un sistema de economía inexistente, donde el dinero no vale nada y los barcos aún menos? Naval action legends: tienes los barcos y solo te preocupas de pegar cañonazos, que es básicamente lo que propones y a donde llegamos con la economía previa al parche.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Don Sancho Navarro said:

Yesterday he lost his indefatigable on a battle, and the only cannons he had.

But why was he sailing that ship if he is short of everything?

Don't sail a ship that you cannot afford to replace when you've lost it.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, zaba said:

Agreeing that points 1 and 3 need a slight adjustment, such as adjusting oak mines price as they did with iron and improving some rewards for battles (although this I think they have done in the last patch). I think point two would be a big mistake, do you want to go back to a non-existent economy system where money is worthless and boats even less? Naval action legends: You have the ships and you only care about striking cannon, which is basically what you propose and where we arrived with the economy before the patch.

Estando de acuerdo en que los puntos 1 y 3 necesitan un ligero ajuste,  por ejemplo ajustar el precio de la minas de oak como hicieron con el hierro y a mejorar un poco las recompensas por las batallas (aunque esto creo que lo han hecho en el último parche). Creo que el punto dos sería un gran error, ¿quieres volver a un sistema de economía inexistente, donde el dinero no vale nada y los barcos aún menos? Naval action legends: tienes los barcos y solo te preocupas de pegar cañonazos, que es básicamente lo que propones y a donde llegamos con la economía previa al parche.  

Dear Zaba:

Sorry, but yes, i prefer a world where ships and resources are easier to earn, and i tell you why.

I play Naval Action for entertainment. I work 10 hours in an office writing reports that nobody reads at HQ. My girlfriend lives a thousand miles from me. And my only refuge is Naval Action. I arrive home at 7-8 PM and I only have a few hours to play. This is worsened by the time difference between my location, Vietnam, and that of my fellow clan mates in Spain.

I don't want to waste these few precious hour mining resources for ships that can disappear in a single strike of bad luck. I want to play and have fun. Missions are not fun, mining is not fun, trading is not fun. And Legends is not fun, because i prefer a thousand times the time spent searching for enemies and evading them than the battles themselves. I am bored of doing boring things. And if this continues I will leave the game.

Naval Action cannot become a permanent job, or an obligation. This is a game and we should treat it as such, and right now it's a boring game, which is a pity because not so long ago it was absolute fun.

Thank you for writing back.

Sancho

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

But why was he sailing that ship if he is short of everything?

Don't sail a ship that you cannot afford to replace when you've lost it.

Yes, basically, if you can't devote 80% of playing time to mining money and resources, you should not play the game?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Don Sancho Navarro said:

I want to play and have fun. Missions are not fun, mining is not fun, trading is not fun. And Legends is not fun, because i prefer a thousand times the time spent searching for enemies and evading them than the battles themselves.

Sorry but I don't really understand your playstyle. If you find everything boring in this game except searching for enemies and then to evade from them. What exactly is your purpose of playing this game? Do you think Devs should give ships for free so that you don't have to earn money in either mission running, trading, mining (which is all not fun for you) for affording ships?

6 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

Sorry but I don't really understand your playstyle. If you find everything boring in this game except searching for enemies and then to evade from them. What exactly is your purpose of playing this game? Do you think Devs should give ships for free so that you don't have to earn money in either mission running, trading, mining (which is all not fun for you) for affording ships?

I don't believe I owe you any explanation of my play style. My point is that, since the patch, 90% of my time has been devoted to mining resources and money, and I consider this BORING. If you have difficulties understanding this, Im sorry.

Sancho

2 minutes ago, admin said:

lower level ships should be a bit cheaper. 

I'm sorry Admin. Lower level ships and everything else should be cheaper. I am playing for pleasure. If the game becomes a boring obligation, and a repetitive succession of missions, I will have to quit the game. And I will be sad to do so, because previous versions of this game have been so fun and entertaining.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

I agree with you, ATM there is much more farm/grind than fun. Especially if you are not good in pvp. Each loss is a heavy pain to the owner. That's a bit pity.

More money=more ships=more fun for the hunted (me)= more fun for the HUNTER (KARAS).

What the hell is wrong with that?

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

You can't measure it this way. Many players enjoy the challenge. If you make it as easy as before clans will print ships and the challenge (and the whole eco TBH) is gone

I'm not one of those players that enjoy the challenge. I believe this game is unbalanced at the moment, not advocating for a return to the previous version.

1 hour ago, King of Crowns said:

I disagree. Game is harder and more challenging therefore better. you must be doing something wrong. I have done 0 trading and only pvp and have 1.5mil with lots of money donated to clan efforts and all outposts bought and 1x expanded dock space.

How many hours have you devoted daily to the game?

Ive been on and off since 2014, its more boring then ever to play the game then previous versions, hate the ship tree, extensive grind, lack of a proper economy and investment in game for ports and development of them, constant ways of farming the marks system, lack of good pvp because now people seem less willing to throw away hours of grinding for a fair fight or lose it to all those gankers (Wankers) out there because they don't wanna lose their hours of grinding, i feel the game doesn't really know how to get itself outta the whole it keeps digging itself into, there are that many examples out there which would go so well in this game even taking them from real world situations and providing more balance would help this game but it doesn't seem like its going any where good atm.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Ronald Speirs said:

Ive been on and off since 2014, its more boring then ever to play the game then previous versions, hate the ship tree, extensive grind, lack of a proper economy and investment in game for ports and development of them, constant ways of farming the marks system, lack of good pvp because now people seem less willing to throw away hours of grinding for a fair fight or lose it to all those gankers (Wankers) out there because they don't wanna lose their hours of grinding, i feel the game doesn't really know how to get itself outta the whole it keeps digging itself into, there are that many examples out there which would go so well in this game even taking them from real world situations and providing more balance would help this game but it doesn't seem like its going any where good atm.

Hear, hear. Well said.

@Don Sancho Navarro

I dont see where the trading is not viable anymore. Well you are not able to print money as it was possible when the economy was totaly screwed.
Still, right now I can easily double to money (and more) if I know the trading routes. (from the amount invested).

The economy looks way better than earlier. If you dont know how to trade the way it is possible, than learn it by yourself.
(I know that it costs some time but its possible and you get more money out of it than by just doing missions.)

For the other problem: Yes NA takes some time for almost everything. This is not new and you should not expect something else from an open world sandbox game. If you dont want this: Play NA Legends or World of warships. Arena style. Than this game is nothing for you.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, I am also bored from time to time. It also hello kittys me up that you have to sail so far away to fight or do something else. Still this is what the game needs you to do to be able to use the open world mechanic. So you only have the choice to live with it or not.

Edited by Twig
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Don Sancho Navarro said:

Thank you.

Don Sancho Navarro

Jefe de Escuadra

Lol.

you just described how unable you are to adjust to the new situation.

People are making money, fighting, making ships, crafting goods, without being 24 hours in game.

Frustration is self made.

It's quite clear that this game in it's current state is more "work" than "play" for many participants. (and yes, i am counted among them)

And frankly, i can't blame then for complaining about it.

Who wants to come home from work and start his second job called "Naval Action"?

And for everyone that wants to shoot down my opinion of the current state of the game, i'm guessing the nation you're playing is currently in a position of advantage over others, and therefore don't wish to lose said advantage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cortez said:

Lol.

you just described how unable you are to adjust to the new situation.

People are making money, fighting, making ships, crafting goods, without being 24 hours in game.

Frustration is self made.

Yes, well I cannot. Perhaps I'm not as knowledgeable, perhaps I don't want to invest the necessary hours. Yes, I'm unable to adapt because this game takes too much time and dedication to be enjoyable, which was not the case before. 

Before this patch I could have fun, and now I can't. Now, if the game can afford to lose some players like me, ok. I see millions are connected everyday, happy with the new patch.

You can Lol all you want, I'm not saying this game is going to die. But I'm not going to be spending my summer hours doing missions or investigating the price of the sevilla almonds in Andorra to make a little gold and then burn it in my mines. Let's see what happens in July and August.