Game-Labs Forum

why won't the enemy attack

william1993

I didn't start my campaign again from .90 to .93 and I saw this twice so far.  The enemies won't attack. I played as CSA and both at 2nd Bull Run and Antietam they won't attack like they are supposed to. Now, if I move up and engage them they will commence a fight, but other than that they just sit there.  The whole west woods scenario of Antietam the Unions came out of the forest, lined up, emplaced guns...and sat there. The same at the 1st day of 2nd Manassas.  They came, formed line, set up guns, and didn't attack my corps.  

Is it because of the change in update that the game breaks if I don't start a new campaign?

The AI has learned how to take and hold an objective rather than just assaulting anything that moves. 

In the Union campaign, the Train Station, the easy way to win was to pull back behind the river and kill them on the bridges. Now, they sit on the objectives like a rational commander would. 

1. but this was pre-objective
  2.  they hadn't taken anything

I fought through Antietam and the Union attacked eventually. They piled Hooker and Porter's corps together with Franklin's Corps and made one big massive greasy attack on my left flank. So I pretty much moved my sunken road defenders to fight in the west woods.  I won, but it sucked.  I lost like 40% of my army but the Union was destrouyed

yeah it seems like the AI is good but has very little sense sometimes.

or maybe they have all the sense and were looking to attack your guns while you were preparing.

Just like Porter's and Franklin's corps combined with Hooker's then charged the hell out of me

I thought that but there were probably 2 divisions in front of the guns and another back a bit from them.  I was very cautious to cover them while I cleared Stuart out of the forest to the far south end of things.  It was a strange attack.  Had zero chance of success.  Would have made more sense to send them after the one division I had slaughtering cavalry to the south.

I would say my biggest issue with it is that the AI appears to be trying to serve two masters when it is supposed to attack.  It ends up sort of half attacking.  I am not sure it's taking less losses in doing so.

That being said one can tell it's trying to preserve itself which is a huge step forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wright29 said:

Well everyone was complaining about suicidal AI so they made smarter AI that saves its forces for later battles via the dynamic campaign function. Not quite perfect yet but it's getting there. 

Agreed... i can't believe it's actually trying to cconserve forces.

Fredericksburg was a bit weird b/c Union AI half attacked, but Stones River was a hard nut to crack for my CSA