Game-Labs Forum

Teleporting CS cavalry during battle of Shiloh

ross42899

I played the Battle of Shiloh as the union (campaign version). During the „Hornet’s Nest phase“ of the first day, Jenkins CS cavalry attacked one of my artillery batteries positioned at the Hornet’s Nest. Then the next phase of the battle started (where you have to retreat to Pittsburg Landing) and all of a sudden Jenkins CS cavalry was teleported to north of my lines, almost directly to the Pittsburg Landing victory point!

I reported this issue in game already, but I just wanted to bring this to attention. I hope the devs are aware of this and it will be fixed soon.

They aren't teleporting.  They are generally passing through the middle of your forces after the first two phases.  Or getting around the left side of the map.  Units disappear quickly if not firing in the thick trees.  The most important phase with the Union is when the phases come together to make some sort of connection between your lines as quickly as possible.

Another tip at Shiloh is if you hear the gunboats open fire, you know a Rebel unit is advancing toward the Indian Mounds surrounding Pittsburgh Landing. And if they take Pittsburgh Landing unopposed, game over. Always wise to rush a bodygaurd to the rear, just in case Forrest or one of his ilk try a recce down-and-out. 

21 hours ago, Bigjku said:

They aren't teleporting.  They are generally passing through the middle of your forces after the first two phases.  Or getting around the left side of the map.  Units disappear quickly if not firing in the thick trees.  The most important phase with the Union is when the phases come together to make some sort of connection between your lines as quickly as possible.

No. They DID NOT get trough my lines. They were south of my lines attacking an artillery battery the moment before the next phase started and with the start of the next phase they were telported to north of my lines. Unfortunately I don't have screenshots of before and after it happened, but I could actually see them being teleported between the phases. They just appeared all of a sudden north of my lines.

There was no way for them to break through my lines and appear north of my lines in 1 second of gameplay. It's clearly a bug. I had a game were they flanked my lines and captured the VP but this time they were clearly teleported from the south to end of my line to the north end of my line.

Edited by ross42899

Hmm that would be surprising.  I have seen new units show up in strange places in the past (lots of reports at Chickugama at one time) and the fame tends to drop union troops directly on some of my lines at Stone's River.  But I haven't ever seen a unit in contact vanish and reappear elsewhere like that.

I fully believe you, just seems like an odd thing to program in at all.  Once on the field units tend to stay where they were except when everyone is reset at an end of day type situation.

I've seen this but in my case the cs cav unit went along the river and got behind me. It then exited the map to the north and when the map opened up he was there waiting to take the objective. I haven't tried it on other battles yet but In the Shiloh battle you can send brigades to the other maps before they open up by giving them a move order off the map in the direction of the map you want them on. I did it by accident once and thought i lost the unit till the map switched and there it was. It seems the computer knows how to do this too.

i would say that is what happened in your case. It's more likely then teleporting units. Remember there are more then 1 cs cav in the scenario.

14 hours ago, BeefStu said:

i would say that is what happened in your case. It's more likely then teleporting units. Remember there are more then 1 cs cav in the scenario.

Please read what I wrote above:

The unit switched position right at the moment the phase changed (within 1 second of gameplay). There was no time for the unit to move around my lines in 1 second. It was the exact same unit (jenkins cavalry). It disappearerd south of my lines only to show up north of my lines. I could see the unit disappearing south and reappeaing north. I saw it changing position. It was NOT that i lost track of the unit and it showed up two minutes later. It was literally "transported" to a new position on the map within a second of gameplay.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact screenshot of this situation, but when I replayed Shiloh I took a screenshot at the same phase to better illustrate my issue. Blue circle indicates jenkins' position at the end of the hornet's nest phase, red circle his new position right at the beginning of the next phase. It just happend within a few seconds of gameplay, during the phase switch. There was no way for him to break through my lines or turn around my lines.

Unbenannt2.png