Game-Labs Forum

Currently, the random fire mode has no apparent practical purpose besides frustrating captains who accidentally use it - it offers no advantage over the rolling broadsides in any situation. However, I feel it could be made useful with a very minor change:

• Random fire mode now fires the guns twice as fast as the other fire modes.
  • Rename Random Fire Mode to Simultaneous Fire Mode.

By "fire twice as fast," I mean that the time it takes between the first gun and last gun to fire is half as long as the rolling broadside modes. It will have no effect on reload time, accuracy, etc. This will turn Random fire mode into a "full broadside" command. The reduced broadside time will be useful in situations where your firing window is short, or when you want to start maneuvering immediately after firing, thus making Simultaneous fire mode a useful tactical option.

This idea was brought up before in a previous post, but I thought it deserved its own suggestion thread for consideration by a larger audience.

• Like 2

Rolling fire, front or back, as she bears, it has a slower interval for that reason. Obviously it delegates timing of command to the captain player.

Simultaneous broadside is the random fire. No ship would sustain the strain of a lot of guns shooting at the very same second. It has to be a staggered fire type as we have.

• Like 1

Rolling fire, front or back, as she bears, it has a slower interval for that reason. Obviously it delegates timing of command to the captain player.

Simultaneous broadside is the random fire. No ship would sustain the strain of a lot of guns shooting at the very same second. It has to be a staggered fire type as we have.

As I said, it would be faster, not exactly simultaneous. Feel free to suggest a more accurate name for the fire mode. For example, if a rolling broadside completes in 3 seconds, simultaneous mode could perhaps complete in 1.5 seconds. And of course, it doesn't have to be exactly twice as fast - the particulars and what it is called isn't important at this point. The suggestion is to make random fire mode faster so it's useful.

Random is already faster. It can't get any faster or it causes issues for the sound effects.

It's not, I am quite certain, as I spent time testing exactly that. My Bucentaure, for example, completes a rolling broadside in 5.5 seconds, and a random broadside in the same amount of time.

Edited by LaRue

People often say Random Fire doesn't have a use.  I have even seen people say it needs to be removed.

People who say it doesn't have a use are wrong.  In fact, there are situations where if you aren't using Random Fire and you are on one of the Rolling Fires you are on the wrong mode of fire and most of your shots are going to miss.

It sounds like some people are getting hung up on the word "simultaneous." This is a suggestion to make random fire mode fire all guns faster than it currently does, not literally simultaneously. "Simultaneous Fire Mode" was just my attempt at creating a useful descriptor for what differentiates this fire mode from the other ones.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
3 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Hi there

What is the the point keep random fire mode when nobody using it.  Just remove it please. 

Either that, or increase the ROF - meaning that more than 1 canon fires at once in Random Fire mode (faster unload).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Either that, or increase the ROF - meaning that more than 1 canon fires at once in Random Fire mode (faster unload).

Devs said that the guns can't fire any faster without causing sound problems. As it is, Random is the fastest.

1 minute ago, admin said:

i use random fire mode in chases

why should we remove it again?

Yah I don't get them, prob cause they have never used it properly or keep hitting the V key and or switching into it by accident. I use it all the time when I strip down some armor and going broad side to broad side. I found that if you use Random I get more crew/cannon hit box than the other two.  Maybe it's just blind luck with RNG or something, but I use it just as much I use the Foward and Back modes.

Just now, Bart Smith said:

Because it bring nothing for my shooting rutine. Just have to double click every time when switching from front to back. 

idem, and i ve suggested also to increase the rate of fire of the broadside when in random fire mode , but i ve just read that there might be software limits

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

oh no...you have to pay attention and actually click on more time.....really that is your only reason is just your lazy to click on more time?

3 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

its useless in terms of accuracy and dispersion.

Here

Edited by Bart Smith
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlteSocken said:

I'd like to learn; could you give an example?

If you need to hit a running player at distance no matter what (to keep him in battle) it is better to do it using random mode as you increase your chance to hit due to spread (especially if that person started to turn to evade the broadside seeing that you started the shooting).

to rephrase from the running target pesrpective
it is much easier to evade the rolling broadside from distance if you see the direction the person is using. Gently Turn AWAY from his bow - stern direction and all his shots will miss. If he uses random many shots will still hit as you have to turn more and lose more speed

• Like 7