Game-Labs Forum

PVP Global and a review on the situation and flaws IMO

OK so we have basically had a few weeks to clear up all the land and get the lines in the sand drawn.

I'm playing GB and here's my take on it all.

Starting without coal and having a Capital spawn so close to the pirates makes for a slow start.  Having Belize become a coal port after you make all the clans move to coal is a bit useless as everyone had already built enough to say screw Belize. so effectively you moved GB to Panama.   Is that a problem.....with a 2-hour sail to get ships to anywhere for PVP yes it is.   So basically the server is now set so the ships are built as far away from each other as possible with a long sail to get somewhere for an actual fight.  This is bad design for an action game, especially with this low a population.  Noobies also have to sail for an hour before they can set up because KPR is a shit place.

Having started with no redeemable or XP the noob grind is too hard.  Basic cutters in the hands of a noob will not progress well enough to make them feel like it is fun quickly.  We have been grouping them up on solo missions till they get to 6th rates etc but really the noob is a solo player and the first 2 ranks NEED TO BE SOLOABLE.  give them basic 6lbs and half the timer on repairs or something so they learn to use it.

The economy is broken still.  you need to fix Iron prices, Food provisions and Carriage prices in the NPC shops.  they are too profitable with a number of hours available to be given freely at the start of the game.  The iron market is a massive economy issue...like compass wood and fine woods were.....wish you guys would pay attention to the economy after a wipe.

Crafting - No XP for subcrafting is wrong..you should make it till level 15 or something so that people can make ships people will use once they start building.  Also with the requirements of items to make the shipyards it is hard for a new crafter to get his foot in the door without any method of using his developing hours other than as an expense.   In the wipe situation, this works but only because of trader lynx purchases.  on a populated server, the clan basically needs to bankroll a crafter to start crafting.   Labor hours will start costing money soon and your back in the God for damage PVE farming situation of last game.  To make it PVP you can't have these kinds of gold needs as it makes for uneven starts in nations.

Open world sailing.....its stupid...I have spent 300 hours or something and still not had a real PVP battle.  I'm not hunting it but I'm certainly not avoiding it either.  you have to make some sort of thing where you can Towships to port somewhere closer to front lines or some way to get things where it can be used without the wasted hours.  This is, without doubt, the biggest most mundane timesink at this time.  increase the speed in OpenWorld until the server gets population or something.

Conquest marks - This is just a fail, to be honest. it makes for uneven competition and considering that 1 duro will be the factor that changes who is winning wars not how many permits you have its a waste of design.  I'm earning more conquest marks a day than i can use and the whole idea that a nation will live or die by the number or ports it has is just dumb and grinds the smallers to be smaller.  Your design has to favour the weak to even shit up not make it so that one side hello kittys over the other.

I would be looking to remove the hurdles ad letting the  1 duro ship idea play out.  your changing too many things at once and compounding solutions to problems making a new problem.  get rid of conquest marks on pvp global, open al the vlueprints up or pur them in epic events or something but marks is not working out. let the game be played not enforcing a PVE grind to win and see what 1 duro ships does to the game..

you still have good combat mechanics and a decent concept.  Timeslots for PBs are still no good tho.  us aussies are still night flippers apparently

• Like 4

Without "nightflipping" same on PvP1 the dominating clan of each nation will for sure swim in conquest marks and the rest of the player base will be earlier gone as the hardcore gamer can think an addition operation.

One question, does PvP general have also so much "arranged" PBs so that the dominating clans get more conquest marks? For sure they need it to build up their 1st rates fleet and replace their losses of real PBs in future. So I dont want to blame them, I would do it the same if I where them because of failed game design, one PB lost and the majority of the clan needs new ships e.g. 15 new Victories will be 375 conquest marks if this happens in a week more than once ....

28 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

Starting without coal and having a Capital spawn so close to the pirates makes for a slow start.  Having Belize become a coal port after you make all the clans move to coal is a bit useless as everyone had already built enough to say screw Belize. so effectively you moved GB to Panama.   Is that a problem.....with a 2-hour sail to get ships to anywhere for PVP yes it is.   So basically the server is now set so the ships are built as far away from each other as possible with a long sail to get somewhere for an actual fight.  This is bad design for an action game, especially with this low a population.  Noobies also have to sail for an hour before they can set up because KPR is a shit place.

small-violin.gif

29 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

Having started with no redeemable or XP the noob grind is too hard. 

eyw2y8.jpg

Be happy you are not starting when the rank experience requirements were double than what they are now. 

32 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

Crafting - No XP for subcrafting is wrong..you should make it till level 15 or something so that people can make ships people will use once they start building. 

I agree with this. If you are not building ships you are not earning any experience towards crafting. 

36 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

I would be looking to remove the hurdles ad letting the  1 duro ship idea play out.  your changing too many things at once and compounding solutions to problems making a new problem.  get rid of conquest marks on pvp global, open al the vlueprints up or pur them in epic events or something but marks is not working out. let the game be played not enforcing a PVE grind to win and see what 1 duro ships does to the game..

These Changes have been presented and been up for testing for a couple of months before going live. Everything they have changed has been a nice transition from what was once a very mundane and gridlock game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gysendorf said:

Without "nightflipping" same on PvP1 the dominating clan of each nation will for sure swim in conquest marks and the rest of the player base will be earlier gone as the hardcore gamer can think an addition operation.

One question, does PvP general have also so much "arranged" PBs so that the dominating clans get more conquest marks? For sure they need it to build up their 1st rates fleet and replace their losses of real PBs in future. So I dont want to blame them, I would do it the same if I where them because of failed game design, one PB lost and the majority of the clan needs new ships e.g. 15 new Victories will be 375 conquest marks if this happens in a week more than once ....

You know nothing as far as i can read what you write.

Anyone can participate in rising hostility, and take part in empty PB.

Those are only preparations for bigger things.

Instead of snivering moaning here, better do something useful for your nation.

Just now, Cortez said:

You know nothing as far as i can read what you write.

Anyone can participate in rising hostility, and take part in empty PB.

Those are only preparations for bigger things.

Instead of snivering moaning here, better do something useful for your nation.

I like toxic behaviour it shows me that I am right. If you spread the conquest mark through the whole nation and your pb-players loses their ships in a pb how will you replace them?  Are you sure the casual gamer will give it to you for the greater cause? Is he online? How long will this take? Isnt it better to have a reserve so that your clan can compensate losses or do you think the whole game will be only arranged empty PBs?

And at the end, how dare to ask yout this, but have you recognized it rasing/lowering hostility dont give you conquest marks and it is also not a guranteed slot in a PB.

38 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

small-violin.gif

eyw2y8.jpg

Be happy you are not starting when the rank experience requirements were double than what they are now. 

I agree with this. If you are not building ships you are not earning any experience towards crafting. 

These Changes have been presented and been up for testing for a couple of months before going live. Everything they have changed has been a nice transition from what was once a very mundane and gridlock game.

dude im a 1400hour player not a scrub....im saying as someone who can play that the grind will be too hard for noobs. not that i found it too hard. Not starting with coal made a difference and was conveying that to the devs.....

it's a review not a sook.  I'm probably one of the best off players on the server.

yeah after most of the playerbase left the game including us.  we didn't test it if we had we would have said straight up its bad design. We left because they kept ignoring us telling them things and eventually got blocked out by their turning off of pirates. We are a big reason the pirates were changed.  it isnt coincidence that 1 month after we went pirate pirates couldn't take ports anymore. also EU time locking...thats our fault too. we are feeding back whats wrong and testing. 

Testing and reality are not the same thing,  testers thought it was a good idea...it isn't remove it and rething...dont let it sit there and fester and screw the game up while you can remove it

Edited by Fastidius
comment about testing.

1 minute ago, Gysendorf said:

I like toxic behaviour it shows me that I am right. If you spread the conquest mark through the whole nation and your pb-players loses their ships in a pb how will you replace them?  Are you sure the casual gamer will give it to you for the greater cause? Is he online? How long will this take? Isnt it better to have a reserve so that your clan can compensate losses or do you think the whole game will be only arranged empty PBs?

And at the end, how dare to ask yout this, but have you recognized it rasing/lowering hostility dont give you conquest marks and it is also not a guranteed slot in a PB.

conquest marks are a second or third teir additional burden on something that takes already time and resources as well as dedication to getting the rank of crafting.  its a bullshit hurdle and by design a significantly flawed design that favors the strong and grinds the weak.

It should not exist

Oh my heart bleeds for the poor British captains who no longer have access to everything on Jamaica! 

*Rolls eyes*

Hey Devs, give the British back every possible resource on Jamaica. The sail to coal it's is just unfair. Poor, poor British!  

Unless I'm mistaken there's coal on the southern tip of Cuba! But that means fighting pirates and we all know that goes against the morals of all British captains!! 

Oh I'm sorry I forgot you'll just say it's not fair that great Britain has to fight for anything, when you should just be granted access to it by default. My bad! Oh but your granted access to coal at Belize by default. Erm it's hard understanding Britishs captain mindsets!.....

Edited by monk33y

7 hours ago, Cortez said:

Improvise,adapt,overcome.

USMC.

Look at the Royal Marines then copy 90% of their concept and model your corps after them.

USMC

Cause improvising and creating something new is overrated :D Also continue to be trained by RM instructors and regularly get saved by us when you run blindly into an ambush. I love it when you colonials think youre the best :P

Edited by JollyRoger1516

On 15/06/2017 at 9:53 AM, monk33y said:

Oh my heart bleeds for the poor British captains who no longer have access to everything on Jamaica!

Your heart has been bleeding since November? You really should have that checked dude the floor is starting to be slippery ;)

Since November Jamaica was useless in terms of resources. Even today it may still be Fortress Jamaica but it relies so heavily on 1 hour sails (back and forth each) and outside resources that well just meh. That means all the crafting clans leave the isle. As we can't move the new player spawn as well that means they are being hit non stop by so called 'skilled super players' who attack nothing but brigs all day to brag on the forum. That hurts not only us but primarily the game as those new players especially with the current economy just piss off never to be seen again.

This resource distribution also means endless time spent on non combat ships and no action to be seen (and in a trader not wanted obviously). That is bloody boring... Even in a top notch location like Cartagena de Indias which has a full Cannon production to gather resources of all types you have the furthest one 30mins sail away (in total 1 hour then) - for a single resource... Time spent trading/hauling is a time spent not fighting which is something that bores the living shit out of most people.

Also btw does your fiddle play any other tunes cause I see you in every thread even non-British making anti-British comments without ever applying logic first.

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 2

Every other nation (apart from Dutch, hmm funny that) has been effected by the changes to resources distribution and have adjusted how they play. Not the British! No the British are complaining that the game is now hard...!

The entire point of this game has shifted from sit by your capital and be spoon-fed too go and get it yourself. Better still, take it off someone who has what your nation requires!

Trade is now a players own responsibility.

Conquest is a players own responsibility.

Ps. Why come to the forums complaining that you must sail 2 hours to get coal when there's a region ABOVE homeland Jamaica that produces coal. A mere 30(Max) mins sail away....!

I know it's scary British captains your in a new age where the training wheels are off!

Pvp global, I know you (gb) have more players than the pirates but I know that restricts you (50% never turned manual sail on before)

Pvp eu. (gb) I know Spain is scary with pirate and usa support but do you think it's worth the risk or will the blow back be crippling! 

Edited by monk33y
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Fastidius said:

Open world sailing.....its stupid...I have spent 300 hours or something and still not had a real PVP battle.  I'm not hunting it but I'm certainly not avoiding it either.  you have to make some sort of thing where you can Towships to port somewhere closer to front lines or some way to get things where it can be used without the wasted hours.  This is, without doubt, the biggest most mundane timesink at this time.  increase the speed in OpenWorld until the server gets population or something.

You are definitely doing something wrong.  Back when OW first opened to closed testing, when there were no teleports, when there were 20 people on the server, I found pvp in the first few hours.  Granted, there are times when you can go 6 hours without seeing an enemy worth attacking, but this is Age of Sail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prater said:

You are definitely doing something wrong.  Back when OW first opened to closed testing, when there were no teleports, when there were 20 people on the server, I found pvp in the first few hours.  Granted, there are times when you can go 6 hours without seeing an enemy worth attacking, but this is Age of Sail.

no im sailing everywhere.  its just not where the enemy is.  i could go to la navasse etc which is fine and i know that but everything south and west of KPR is pretty much a waste of time sailing with virtually zero risk.   compression if no enemy within 50Km would still be  most of my life in compression.

If people want the screensaver thats fine and im not saying disable it but i am saying that if i dont want the screensaver there should be something i can do other than what it is now.  Back when there were 4000 on the server it was fine but now its too empty.  I dont care if its age of sail or tetris or whatever.  waiting 2 hours to press any key other than left or right is a bit shit

If you're looking for action, there's plenty around Mortimer / La Tortue every evening in the US time zone.

I too spend a lot of time trying to figure out "where the action is," and sometimes I get really frustrated when I realize I've sailed for hours somewhere that's proven to be a bust.

On the flipside, I usually wind up seeing a new part of the map that I've never seen before, and I still find that to be really cool.

And when you finally find a "happy hunting ground"? It's that much sweeter.

Maybe War against neighboring Nations is also a option ? There could be opportunities to engage in PvP more often.

Politics and Logistics and naval power and privateer deployment go hand in hand in NA to be honest.

Every "pact" that is established by elected councils reduces the chance for PvP. Imagine the horror of being at peace with half the nations... :( ( oh yeah, we had it a while ago, wasn't pretty )

• Like 1

On June 14, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Fastidius said:

OK so we have basically had a few weeks to clear up all the land and get the lines in the sand drawn.

I'm playing GB and here's my take on it all.

Having started with no redeemable or XP the noob grind is too hard.  Basic cutters in the hands of a noob will not progress well enough to make them feel like it is fun quickly.  We have been grouping them up on solo missions till they get to 6th rates etc but really the noob is a solo player and the first 2 ranks NEED TO BE SOLOABLE.  give them basic 6lbs and half the timer on repairs or something so they learn to use it.

The economy is broken still.  you need to fix Iron prices, Food provisions and Carriage prices in the NPC shops.  they are too profitable with a number of hours available to be given freely at the start of the game.  The iron market is a massive economy issue...like compass wood and fine woods were.....wish you guys would pay attention to the economy after a wipe.

Crafting - No XP for subcrafting is wrong..you should make it till level 15 or something so that people can make ships people will use once they start building.  Also with the requirements of items to make the shipyards it is hard for a new crafter to get his foot in the door without any method of using his developing hours other than as an expense.   In the wipe situation, this works but only because of trader lynx purchases.  on a populated server, the clan basically needs to bankroll a crafter to start crafting.   Labor hours will start costing money soon and your back in the God for damage PVE farming situation of last game.  To make it PVP you can't have these kinds of gold needs as it makes for uneven starts in nations.

Conquest marks - This is just a fail, to be honest. it makes for uneven competition and considering that 1 duro will be the factor that changes who is winning wars not how many permits you have its a waste of design.  I'm earning more conquest marks a day than i can use and the whole idea that a nation will live or die by the number or ports it has is just dumb and grinds the smallers to be smaller.  Your design has to favour the weak to even shit up not make it so that one side hello kittys over the other.

you still have good combat mechanics and a decent concept.  Timeslots for PBs are still no good tho.  us aussies are still night flippers apparently

I agree on crafting

Not on open world speed.  My experience isn't in having trouble finding PvP. It's in setting up successful forward bases.  So what if the British chose to move to Panama.  That isn't the problem. Expecting to be able to move production to Panama while still easily projecting it as if done from Jamaica isn't reasonable.  Jamaica is the single best home port spot in the game.  It's only weakness is that you have to feed it coal to build special guns.  Just build the guns elsewhere and ship the guns instead of whole ships.  On PvP G you have taken all of Panama, the mosquito coast, south Cuba and half the Gulf of Mexico.  In last years game you could defend that with teleports. This year there is no way your going to hold all that land no matter how many CMs you get. It's that sail and the time input that will trim Britain back to having to chose an actual favorite spot to keep.

Conquest marks I agree on as well. The current system is fail. They need to be nation specific or something different than they are now.