Game-Labs Forum

Skulls and Bones (Ubisoft E3)

Pelennor

Ok Game-Labs, i know I may be very negative regarding certain decisions you have made during NA development.

But when I look towards your competitors and games they plan to release (see Skull & Bones E3 presentation below), I just want to say thank you.

Thank you for your efforts to achieve the best realistic Age of Sails game available on market.

ô7

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, admin said:

why you don't like rams? :)

Hides his Northern Master Craftsman mod, "What RAM?  I see no Rams around here."

As for that game it looks nice, but they made it to cartoonish in a way too as are a lot of the other games about Pirates and Sailing are very blockish/cartoonish.

Problem is OP is now Naval Action is facing stiff competition. SOT, this, black wake, hearts of oak, etc all look a lot more exciting compared to the OW aspects of Naval action to the average gamer.  I suspect the real reason behind the legends beta that they are starting this summer. The current swell in popularity of AOS/pirate themed games is going to potentially put a dent in NA's population.

I seriously doubt the combat they come up with will compare to NA's, but how many want to mess with the other aspects NA open world has to offer.

24 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Hides his Northern Master Craftsman mod, "What RAM?  I see no Rams around here."

Northern master craftsmen did exist. The Das Boot engine guy the inspiration for the northern master repairman ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Problem is OP is now Naval Action is facing stiff competition. SOT, this, black wake, hearts of oak, etc all look a lot more exciting compared to the OW aspects of Naval action to the average gamer.  I suspect the real reason behind the legends beta that they are starting this summer. The current swell in popularity of AOS/pirate themed games is going to potentially put a dent in NA's population.

I seriously doubt the combat they come up with will compare to NA's, but how many want to mess with the other aspects NA open world has to offer.

None of it even compares.

If anything only two product at the moment, and being under testing, can be interesting enough to pull attention from NA now and then IMO.

SailAway and UBoot, but neither is a full package, combat, open world and mmo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

None of it even compares.

If anything only two product at the moment, and being under testing, can be interesting enough to pull attention from NA now and then IMO.

SailAway and UBoot, but neither is a full package, combat, open world and mmo.

Given that Uboot has nothing to do with AOS theme, not sure why you mentioned it seeing it's set in WW2, and sail away is just a sailing sim, again not really direct competition like the games I mentioned unless your saying NA is primarily a sailing sim.

• Like 1

OMG THE RAMS ;-;

The one thing that bothered me the most about AC4 was that the ships had these absolutely hideous iron ram things on their bows. They're impractical, hideous and warp the ship's lines and organic hull shape. And of course, this game has those too... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Given that Uboot has nothing to do with AOS theme, not sure why you mentioned it seeing it's set in WW2, and sail away is just a sailing sim, again not really direct competition like the games I mentioned unless your saying NA is primarily a sailing sim.

flying on rails or flying open... sailing on rails or sailing free... oh boy oh boy, games have come a long way but flashy, wacky quick delivery packs still sell like crazy just to be dead after a month... For Honor much ?

I shall stand down. Snappy salute.

7 minutes ago, Justme said:

Cool, a game that my kid can play so I don't log in and find myself in the middle of nowhere in a basic cutter with no money. My punishment for leaving the computer on while taking a nap.

Household upcoming game will be Sea of Thieves though. Excellent family cartoon visuals. Proper community standards ( it is rated for 8 yo iirc and devs/mods don't mess around with the language allowed ) and above all if one messes up anything in the game the goofy looks of the actions make it look like everything was on purpose.

3 hours ago, admin said:

why you don't like rams? :)

I absolutely love em but you know on galleys and stuff. Loved playing Athens in Rome Total War II and go for total naval domination :P (btw that Boot guy is called Johann the Ghost ;) )

Honestly though that game looks like a cheap copy of black flag (I could swear the No1 guy is exactly the same voice) made for some weird multiplayer like For Honour. Ubisoft keeps being between genius and complete and utter overpriced crap. Wildlands was pretty decent at least if you get the right guys together but For Honour was a bloody disaster same as Rainbow Six Siege...

• Like 1

Ubisoft are known to simply disappoint. They will hype you up on with trailers and teasers but once the game is out, it's simply different and worse. I remember how they presented Rainbow Six Siege, now look at this game.. 

Now, for the Skulls and Bones. I already dislike speed of cannon balls. It feels that you shoot not from the cannons but from the modern artillery. Instant fire&hit, what? Second, is it is not defined what exactly is this game about. The game only mentions "Open world" and "PvP" and "Game modes" yet nothing of more precision. It is a mmo? Can you sail in open world like in NA? Is multiplayer separate from singleplayer? Or is it another "For honor" game but on sea? Too little information.

I wanted to reply to the thread that got locked, you can have your Skull and Bones.  You can have your Pirates of the Caribbean style game, I will take my Master and Commander/Patrick O'Brian/C.S. Forester style of game.

It is Ubisoft, so what can we expect?

1.  Ships that sail in battle at 50 knots

2.  Modern Artillery

3.  Rams

4.  Poor servers

5.  Disastrous game launch

6.  Fantasy elements

7.  Wind that doesn't matter

8.  Ridiculous looking ships

9. Oh, and 4-5 different ships.  The same class bullcrap that most modern games define such as Tank, Sniper, Tech, Medic, and maybe a couple others.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 5

Rams, rockets, every ship having huge studding sails making them look like balloons, skull-decorated sterns, all of them looking like resurrected wrecks, HUD bars blocking the ships you're shooting at e.t.c.

I think I'm gonna be ill :blink: But that's games nowadays.

21 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Just watched the trailer. It didn't show very much about the game at all in my opinion. 

If it's just these arena matches it's going to get boring as hell. Though if they do an open world and you can make clans and fight each other other then in these events than I might pick it up on sale or something later just to have a side fun game.

While I liked most Ubisoft games but I tend to get bored of them fast after beating them cause they are so repeative and lack actual story to them. Love the open world fighting stuff and all, just not doing the same type of mission over and over.

• Like 1

Yes. Likewise MWOL was supposed to have a world meta game even if only with sectors. :lol: But why try to make something challenging and complicated that requires a bit of learning from the player side when flashy thunder boomshakalaka sells outright, right ?

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

Yes. Likewise MWOL was supposed to have a world meta game even if only with sectors. :lol: But why try to make something challenging and complicated that requires a bit of learning from the player side when flashy thunder boomshakalaka sells outright, right ?

Have you seen the new Mechwarrier and Battletech games suppose to come out soon?  I still play MWOL ever once in while cause I have so many mechs, but it's just a kill a few hours here or there thing not something I can just sit and play all day.  No story, but the two new ones I'll prob get for sure.