Game-Labs Forum

Conquest Marks, PVP marks, PVE Marks, Gold...  There are so many currencies in this game that it is impossible to balance them all. Get rid of them all except Gold.

Combat earns XP and Gold. Crafting earns XP (and profits in gold if you sell your wares). All items in admiralty are priced in gold. Adjust the amount of rewards and prices as you will based on difficulty and desired scarcity. It seems to me that a) this system would be easier to get the economy right and b)would allow players to pursue their own paths to "success".

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

Conquest Marks, PVP marks, PVE Marks, Gold...  There are so many currencies in this game that it is impossible to balance them all. XP for experience and crafting should. Get rid of them all except Gold.

Combat earns XP and Gold. Crafting earns XP (and profits in gold if you sell your wares). All items in admiralty are priced in gold. Adjust the amount of rewards and prices as you will based on difficulty and desired scarcity. It seems to me that a) this system would be easier to get the economy right and b)would allow players to pursue their own paths to "success".

not a good idea, this will turn into a grind/pve game untill u have the best ship and or upgrades

1 minute ago, elite92 said:

not a good idea, this will turn into a grind/pve game untill u have the best ship and or upgrades

Why would it be any different than where we are at now except Devs would have less variables they would have to adjust trying to get the economy right? Too much $$ being made from useless trade, reduce the number of violins and historical artifacts in game. Too many SOL, raise the cost of Permits; not enough PVP, increase PVP cash award while decreasing PVE rewards.

Manipulating a game economy so that it works is perhaps an impossible task no matter what the Devs do but it is definitely impossible with so many currency variables. 

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

Why would it be any different than where we are at now except Devs would have less variables they would have to adjust trying to get the economy right? Too much $$ being made from useless trade, reduce the number of violins and historical artifacts in game. Too many SOL, raise the cost of Permits; not enough PVP, increase PVP cash award while decreasing PVE rewards.

Manipulating a game economy so that it works is perhaps an impossible task no matter what the Devs do but it is definitely impossible with so many currency variables. 

now its grind and pve only untill small frigates, if u want to proceed more u need to PvP and move ur carebear ass. but now we have the problem of conquest marks pension, as soon this problem is solved all the economy will be good

2 hours ago, elite92 said:

now its grind and pve only untill small frigates, if u want to proceed more u need to PvP and move ur carebear ass. but now we have the problem of conquest marks pension, as soon this problem is solved all the economy will be good

Okay, I can see that this is sort of over your head, but I'll try one more time...

A system where there are multiple economies: one for our PVP asses, one for the Carebear -- I assume you mean players who prefer PVE -- asses, and even a 3rd for the newbies who have yet to establish what kind of asses they are, well, that just won't work.. for anyone. At least it won't if you desire any group to ever transition to another one.

Just now, Farrago said:

Okay, I can see that this is sort of over your head, but I'll try one more time...

A system where there are multiple economies: one for our PVP asses, one for the Carebear -- I assume you mean players who prefer PVE -- asses, and even a 3rd for the newbies who have yet to establish what kind of asses they are, well, that just won't work.. for anyone. At least it won't if you desire any group to ever transition to another one.

its ok man, i understand ur point of view and respect it. prewipe there were no marks, only gold. and every1 can get every ship they want simply with grinding. now in the PvP server admin stated that OW pvp should be the first and only aspect of end game. he clearly said multiple times that pve players have their server open and that in this one instead ppl will have to fight each other in OW to get ships and better stuff. thats why we dont have 1 currency anymore. because with pvp marks required, u force players in open world and u make them hunting or be hunted generating pvp for every1. (too bad now we have conquest marks pension that need to be addressed)(i am for removing conquest marks and pve marks at all)

I am not a fan of PvP marks, they seem to encourage ganking even more. Like for example you may see a smaller ship than you or a much smaller fleet and with the PvP marks you are way more inclined to attack them just for the PvP marks. It May not even be fun but you do it anyway for the marks. Pre-patch that wouldn't of happened, you would just keep looking to find a better juicier target to attack. As of now it's hard to pass up those shiny PvP marks. PvP marks really encourage you to go ape on every player you see. #nogrindpvp #pvpisforfunnotgrind B)

Edited by SeaHyena
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Farrago said:

Conquest Marks, PVP marks, PVE Marks, Gold...  There are so many currencies in this game that it is impossible to balance them all. Get rid of them all except Gold.

They are self balanced by players when they are trading/exchanging them

9 hours ago, Farrago said:

well perhaps  all the marks should be........... silver.

in the age of sail they never heard of pve marks or conquest marks or pvp marks 

silver was the money ,not marks

(and dont forget the "jewels "they also paid with pearls at the pirate pub ...not marks ...

[and a other suggestion here "pirate treasures" on hidden places ....for the romance of the game ....]

gold silver and jewels...

girly pirate captains and woman i miss here to...ohw well it s a men world i think :)

"The depth in this game, is only at the bottom of the ocean? "

Edited by Thonys

5 hours ago, SeaHyena said:

I am not a fan of PvP marks, they seem to encourage ganking even more. Like for example you may see a smaller ship than you or a much smaller fleet and with the PvP marks you are way more inclined to attack them just for the PvP marks. It May not even be fun but you do it anyway for the marks. Pre-patch that wouldn't of happened, you would just keep looking to find a better juicier target to attack. As of now it's hard to pass up those shiny PvP marks. PvP marks really encourage you to go ape on every player you see. #nogrindpvp #pvpisforfunnotgrind B)

I share your point of view. I need PvP marks to make my ship compatitive to others. so you nearly have to attack anyone you can kill. thats not different to grinding bots. just someone who can't defend himself against a superior ship. i prefer grinding bots than doing something like that because bots don't feel the loss. 

but because i don't do it i can not win against someone who does it even we would have the same skill in this game because he can get better upgrades and ships than i can.

this is not promoting pvp at all. this makes a need to gank for those who want to do pvp and even for those who don't want to do it but have a good ship to defend home waters ...

make the permits and upgrades buyable with gold. anyway you can buy pvp marks sometimes in the shop for between 50.000 to 100.000 just the amount is not large enough -> those who gank can make alot of money with pushing casual players or newcomers out of the game by sinking their ships.

• Like 3

I say ditch the PvE marks for a bit more gold, throw out the conquest marks and only use PvP marks. Capping ports gives you X amount of PvP marks (allot more then conquest marks). And instead of giving them the name PvP marks. Use "Reputation Points", as in the admiralty/pirates have taken note of you humble and honourable succes in defeating the enemy and as your reputation has risen you stand a bigger chance of getting a nicer boat/upgrades etc...

The current system with pensions is just not the right way to go forward and keep the game interesting for a large group of players for a large amount of time. When you are in a disadvantage there is no real way for a nation to change this quickly. And every day you fail to do this the difference gets bigger and the chances of levelling the field is severely reduced. On top of that it severly reduces the chances of pubbies, or lower ranked clan members to get into a portbattle.

Use PvP marks for all matters PvP, OW Battles and PB conquests, and it offers an alternative for nations who are knocked back. At the same time we got rid of the rewards for screeners as they get PvP marks.

I'd remove marks entirely, and replace them with a standardized resource that is given as reward for all action in the game, PVP, PVE, RvR.

In varying degrees of course. PVP would reward more than PVE, but at least this way everybody can get the resource although at different speeds depending on their playstyle

Make higher level ships attainable for everyone, not only the people who are ganking newbies in mission areas to farm PVP Marks.

The current restrictions that are implemented with the Marks system are just ridiculous, and contradictory to an open world/ sandbox game.

• Like 4

i fotgot to mention one thing in my first post so that there is not coming sth like don't sail sth you can not replace. yes it's true you should not. but lets say it's worst case ... you just jumped in a 5th rate. still you have 250.000 so you actually really can replace that ship and canons. you got sunk outnumbered by pvp mark farmers. maybe there is still 1 cerberus or renomee in the shop so you can buy another one or as crafter you still have the labor hours to craft a new ship. so you spend your money for the ship and canons. you have 1 hour recently killed so noone will attack you. reward on 5th rate mission depends on how good you are is between 30.000 and 50.000. so you need at least 3-4 missions to replace that loss. takes about 1.5-2 hours. after 2 missions you get sunk again by someone. now you have to replace it again. ok might still be possible if there is still a ship in the shop for a reasonable price but then you have no money left. maybe aswell no repairs. and how about the crew?

if you wanna keep the pvp mark system give the chance to surrender maybe after 5-10 minutes with keeping your ship if the battlerating of the attackers is at least 50% higher as yours. increase the amount of gold but give no pvp marks for the attackers if they sink you. i know thats very likely exploitable. losers get no rewards so it even pushes the strengh of those who just engage when they outnumber their enemy.

but what to do? all suffer because some would "cheat"

22 hours ago, The Spud said:

I say ditch the PvE marks for a bit more gold, throw out the conquest marks and only use PvP marks. Capping ports gives you X amount of PvP marks (allot more then conquest marks). And instead of giving them the name PvP marks. Use "Reputation Points", as in the admiralty/pirates have taken note of you humble and honourable succes in defeating the enemy and as your reputation has risen you stand a bigger chance of getting a nicer boat/upgrades etc...

The current system with pensions is just not the right way to go forward and keep the game interesting for a large group of players for a large amount of time. When you are in a disadvantage there is no real way for a nation to change this quickly. And every day you fail to do this the difference gets bigger and the chances of levelling the field is severely reduced. On top of that it severly reduces the chances of pubbies, or lower ranked clan members to get into a portbattle.

Use PvP marks for all matters PvP, OW Battles and PB conquests, and it offers an alternative for nations who are knocked back. At the same time we got rid of the rewards for screeners as they get PvP marks.

like your idea about " Reputation "

it gives a other load to the game

perhaps it will give some reduction in your purchasing of stuff , or rewards for some feature

but still i think ,perhaps a new kind of mechanism is needed  to acquire the bp or permits  

perhaps a admiralty ladder to acquire those blueprints or sail the kind of schips 

remember a young captain did not get the command of a victory overnight...

it took some time to get the command of a fleet ,in this game  i see a young captains (with 10 hours of game time) sailing a heavy frigate already when he enters the game,  and that's something strange to

also the ladder of command is out of order as well ...(look at the casualty rate allready of young captains who already lost  there redeemable ships to veterans) [Perhaps a other topic ,but i believe ,if not opened a number 3 knowledge slot of a ship you can not sail it]

a lot of balance is needed ..to overcome the enormous unbalanced feeling of this game ...

and yes pvp/pve/conquest marks, >  all the marc names are  .....silly names

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2