Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.90+

10 hours ago, sterner said:

It will be converted into Easy and AI strength will be taken from default value for your actual date. If you want to get full effect from dynamic campaign then better to restart.

Moreover, all difficulty levels were tuned and old easy is almost new normal. Now you can find suitable difficulty level for your gameplay style and level.

Please clarify what you just said.  It sounds like continued campaigns are locked into a specific easier difficulty level but using the new mechanics?  Can those settings be adjusted?  If not, can Steam rollback the game code so I can continue my matching set of campaigns as before?  

Thanks   EDIT:L The corps and many units have too much character to cast aside when so far advanced into the war.

Edited by MikeK
Background

Can I add something?  Why does Henry Slocum have two different avatars?  Slocum's portrait in the campaign is different than the portrait in the Historic single-play of Gettysburg. . . 

Has anybody actually beaten the Potomac Fort mission (the very first CSA mission) on Legendary?

I'm wondering if 237 man artillery batteries at the fort is intended after the last update, given that previously they still were 75 men batteries. The man count exceeds the starting troop count of your cavalry troops, not to mention that the skirmishers are nearly 500 man squads, and are 2* skirmishers against your ~680 man 1* infantry brigades, I captured one of them and found out they have 50s in firearms and melee, versus 30/25 on your infantry squads.

Yeah, I don't really understand the rationale behind playing on legendary in this game. I've played it, sure. I can win battles, yep. But it's stressful, frustrsting, and exhausting. Ramping enemy troops up to 11 doesn't add an interesting challenge, but instead a grueling one.

On a different note, I love that I can now actually capture brigades reliably. What I don't love, however... "5024 prisoners exchanged for 1000 recruits." Surely this wouldn't throw the balance off that much? I've captured roughly 10k men total just after Shiloh (CSA normal) and gotten less than 3k recruits out of it. If you're going to reward me, do so in a consistent fashion. The 1k limit on prisoner exchanges (5 federals for 1 rebel? Terrible negotiators...) has done nothing except prevent me from fully filling out my brigades as I'd like to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

This cap is intended. in early beta there wasn't any and you could totally break the campaign's balance by abusing it. Imagine how easy the game would be if you captured 3k federals every mission.... 

I don't mind the prisoner exchange cap but not getting a windfall of guns from them is annoying.

Okay first initial complaint. 

With the latest update release, I restarted a campaign again!, everything was going great I was winning, enjoying the new aspects etc., enter 1st Manassas.  I'm holding the bridge, got a brigade to Matthews Hill, waiting for the advance I knew was going to come, when suddenly I'm told to make my withdrawal to Henry Hill.

Suddenly without any indication there were other union troops on the map, my starter force is immediately surrounded by enemy organizations, I've not been reenforced, they got Henry Hill ....

It was a total cf.

I was playing on BG level.

15 hours ago, Sykes said:

Can I add something?  Why does Henry Slocum have two different avatars?  Slocum's portrait in the campaign is different than the portrait in the Historic single-play of Gettysburg. . . 

In the battle of Gaines Mill CS General A.P. Hill is depicted with the wrong portrait picture too. His historical picture is in the game, but in this battle he is depicted with a random placeholder pic, which doesn't look like him at all.

Still hoping they will add more accurate portraits of historical Generals for version 1.0 of the game instead of placeholder images (at least for the more famous ones like T.J. Jackson, A.S. Johnston, Joseph E. Johnston, U.S. Grant, William Sherman, Jospeh Hooker, Ambrose Burnside, George B. McClellan, etc.)

8 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

This cap is intended. in early beta there wasn't any and you could totally break the campaign's balance by abusing it. Imagine how easy the game would be if you captured 3k federals every mission.... 

Yes, but 1k is frustratingly low. -- often that doesn't even recoup the losses incurred capturing those troops. Yes, some players would game the system and intentionally capture as many enemy troops as possible. Let them. 

It doesn't need to be a 1:1 ratio, but something more than a 1k cap. What if I captured 10k and still only got 1k recruits? That's exceedingly disappointing. It could be a semi random ratio, or perhaps a mix of recruits and weapons or money. There's definitely room to improve it.

34 minutes ago, Admiral666 said:

Yes, but 1k is frustratingly low. -- often that doesn't even recoup the losses incurred capturing those troops. Yes, some players would game the system and intentionally capture as many enemy troops as possible. Let them. 

It doesn't need to be a 1:1 ratio, but something more than a 1k cap. What if I captured 10k and still only got 1k recruits? That's exceedingly disappointing. It could be a semi random ratio, or perhaps a mix of recruits and weapons or money. There's definitely room to improve it.

I would prefer an exponentially diminishing return rather than a hard cap, but I found this nowhere near as frustrating as the fact that attrition only counted for you and not the AI so I'm not going to complain.

Question: When AI brigades shatter, does that count as losses or does the AI attrition only count for casualties that appear in the after battle report? Because in the latter scenario, it might well be worth capturing rather than shattering brigades even without additional manpower incentives.

From what I've seen shattered brigades aren't considered as losses. thats why it's impossible to inflict 100% casualties on the ennemy, even when you actually wipe him out.

Concerning tweaks on prisoners cap I'm still pretty doubtful about that. With the new changes campaign seems pretty balanced on all levels and making it too easy wouldn't be fun. In early campaign getting 800 prisoners extra recruits per battle is already quite a game changer.

7 minutes ago, Col_Kelly said:

From what I've seen shattered brigades aren't considered as losses. thats why it's impossible to inflict 100% casualties on the ennemy, even when you actually wipe him out.

Concerning tweaks on prisoners cap I'm still pretty doubtful about that. With the new changes campaign seems pretty balanced on all levels and making it too easy wouldn't be fun. In early campaign getting 800 prisoners per battle is already quite a game changer.

Exponentially diminishing returns could fix the strength of prisoners in the early game, too, as long as it wasn't 1:1 up to 1000. Also, it might be interesting if exchanged prisoners return to the AI manpower pool... But I generally agree, keeping the balance is most important at this point, and none of this is particularly important or maybe even beneficial to change.

As much as I shouldn't probably mention this, as this probably promotes the wrong sort of behavior as far as historical games go: there are other uses to captured units besides the 1000 man benefit.

Like using them as bait to draw enemies out of cover (empty captured supply wagons), or otherwise body shields to cover your men while they're reloading (walk them in front of the reloading brigade). It's up to one's imagination to find a use for units that the enemy will not shoot. :unsure:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Col_Kelly said:

The supply wagon trick is defendable but the other one is really, really dark. 

Just depends on how far you're willing to go just to reduce casualties. 

Normally you don't need to bother in BG, and most likely MG, since the supply wagon trick is usually good enough to displace enemies from trees. On legendary, you have to pull every ruthless trick out of the book to survive.

2 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Just depends on how far you're willing to go just to reduce casualties. 

Normally you don't need to bother in BG, and most likely MG, since the supply wagon trick is usually good enough to displace enemies from trees. On legendary, you have to pull every ruthless trick out of the book to survive.

Any means to an end I suppose. One thing is for certain...Better make sure your side wins the war outright. If not, then you will definitely be fitted for the "ultimate necktie" after your tribunal. It will be a short walk to the hanging tree for sure.......

On another note....I'd like to see some sort of patch/revision # on the opening screen just to be certain one is using the most recent/current patch.  Especially if one is having to restart a campaign due to a recent patch.  Thx!

I'd also like to hear what our proven play testers feel about the changes with the patch. I understand that may not be allowable at this point but it would be interesting anyways. As always...Kudos to Nick and his team and the play testers!

34 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

On another note....I'd like to see some sort of patch/revision # on the opening screen just to be certain one is using the most recent/current patch.  Especially if one is having to restart a campaign due to a recent patch.  Thx!

I'd also like to hear what our proven play testers feel about the changes with the patch. I understand that may not be allowable at this point but it would be interesting anyways. As always...Kudos to Nick and his team and the play testers!

There is a version number, bottom left hand corner of the main menu. :)

Least to say, I'm ecstatic about the update - the player now has far more agency when it comes to determining the future of the validity like campaign.

New HotFix has just been uploaded!

Hotfix2 v0.91 rev.19795 10/8/2017
- Reduced surrendering probability because it would be too strong when units were surrounded.
- Increased unit reaction time making player units generally more responsive to orders. This affects also the AI that will be also more responsive to your actions.
- Major fix for retreat. Now, we must have addressed completely the problem of units retreating through enemy lines.
- Fixed bug that did not allow game to continue in multi-day battles.
- Fixed bug that made Supply Wagons not capturable.
- Fixed bug that made Melee Cavalry able to dismount via Dismount HotKey.
- Fixed bug that could dismount all types of cavalry units when a group was selected.
- Fixed bug that made multi-selection of units inaccurate.
- Minor text corrections of new report messages (Soon they will be translated to the different languages).

Restart Steam to receive it fast!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

New HotFix has just been uploaded!

Hotfix2 v0.91 rev.19795 10/8/2017
- Reduced surrendering probability because it would be too strong when units were surrounded.
- Increased unit reaction time making player units generally more responsive to orders. This affects also the AI that will be also more responsive to your actions.
- Major fix for retreat. Now, we must have addressed completely the problem of units retreating through enemy lines.
- Fixed bug that did not allow game to continue in multi-day battles.
- Fixed bug that made Supply Wagons not capturable.
- Fixed bug that made Melee Cavalry able to dismount via Dismount HotKey.
- Fixed bug that could dismount all types of cavalry units when a group was selected.
- Fixed bug that made multi-selection of units inaccurate.
- Minor text corrections of new report messages (Soon they will be translated to the different languages).

Restart Steam to receive it fast!

Well there goes the list I was working on......Well Done Guys!!! ;)

2 hours ago, The Soldier said:

There is a version number, bottom left hand corner of the main menu. :)

Least to say, I'm ecstatic about the update - the player now has far more agency when it comes to determining the future of the validity like campaign.

Thanks a lot Soldier!!!! My screen resolution was at max and so out of my view! Just shrank it down and there it was!!! Thanks Pal and much appreciated for your reply!