Game-Labs Forum

Such is a Lord - An idea

If anyone hasn't seen @admin's post this morning, here it is.  

Seems like a pretty good idea, but perhaps needs more fleshing out.  Had an idea about how to build upon it.  

Offer captains who have an outpost in the area a pension as well.  Call it a coast guard protection fleet money.  This would give captains a reason to be in the new areas and make it so it's in their interest to keep it.  This would also help smooth over hurt feelings about not getting into the PBs  by giving folks unable to make it a stake in the operation as well.  Another bonus is it would force people to push further out from the capital areas.  The further out your outposts or closer to the action, the higher the pension.  

An example.  Port battle participants get 2 marks a week.  Players with outposts get 1 every other week.  

Obvious cons - players will simply open up an outpost and do nothing with it just to accrue points.  Unavoidable, but given the expense of outposts now and the limited amount of slots, this should help deter.  Parking alts.  Unavoidable.  Put a cap on the number of outposts that can accrue.  

The main problem I see with @admin's such is a lord idea is unfortunately there are only so many battles and so many slots.  With a population of 1100+ on EU, a vast majority of the players who want to get into the battles to get marks simply wont.  This will help the balance a bit, but still let players who attend the battles to get a trickle down effect. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3

Initially I am in agreement with admin that it should be up to the RvR-fleets to motivate screeners by offering payment in conquest marks or by giving away ships produced with conquest marks. This leaves some responsibility up to the clans and the fleets to make sure that all parts of an RvR effort is valued and compensated. If screeners don't get compensation they will stop bothering to help out.

• Like 3

this isn't just for screening, but continued protection of that area.  If I'm not one of the select 25 who gets marks for a region I really have no benefit to defend it.  In fact, I actually have a vested interest in seeing the region getting capped and the opportunity to retake it to get my name on the list.  Lets say clan X took the region in the first place and managed to get 25 of their guys in.  I'm in clan Y and well, we kinda wanna make our own aggies too.  I would just let that region change hands and then attempt to take it back with clan Y guys.  In a perfect world clan X takes port 1, clan Y takes port 2 and spreads the love.  This isn't a perfect world.

Everyone should have a stake in the RVR process, not just the 25 guys in the battle.  

• Like 1

You know if clan X have marks, and bp, and permits, they can trade it or trade ships they build with clan Y because you are all in nation Z and finaly all RvR active players will be winners.

You are all reacting as self centred players without thinking 1 second all players are working for their faction... I understand your fear if you are thinking everybody else are thinking like you....

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Christendom said:

this isn't just for screening, but continued protection of that area.  If I'm not one of the select 25 who gets marks for a region I really have no benefit to defend it.  

You actually have all the benefits to defend it. If you come to defend it and lords don't - you get the title and they lose it. 

• Like 4

Just now, admin said:

You actually have all the benefits to defend it. If you come to defend it and lords don't - you get the title and they lose it. 

so the list updates after each PB defense?  I don't remember reading this in the other thread.

1 minute ago, charognard666 said:

Yes. If u defend u become lord.

ok good, makes it a bit more fair then.  I checked out after about page 3 or 4 on the initial thread.  I was looking to prevent supreme "lordship" of an area on a long term basis, would offer little incentive to help.  

Edited by Christendom

7 hours ago, Anolytic said:

Initially I am in agreement with admin that it should be up to the RvR-fleets to motivate screeners by offering payment in conquest marks or by giving away ships produced with conquest marks. This leaves some responsibility up to the clans and the fleets to make sure that all parts of an RvR effort is valued and compensated. If screeners don't get compensation they will stop bothering to help out.

I think a lot of folks need to step back and take a break and than go back to read it.  This is exactly what most clans should do if they want folks show. IF they don't help out the screeners they will just stop showing and how does that help you in your war efforts?  It doesn't so you need to trade and help other clans in your nation.  Yes my clan will fit out our clan members first, but as soon as we do that we will reward other folks that help us.  We ue to give out 1st rates cause we would capture so many to none clan members just for showing even if they didn't make it in.

7 hours ago, charognard666 said:

You know if clan X have marks, and bp, and permits, they can trade it or trade ships they build with clan Y because you are all in nation Z and finaly all RvR active players will be winners.

You are all reacting as self centred players without thinking 1 second all players are working for their faction... I understand your fear if you are thinking everybody else are thinking like you....

I'm starting to think a lot of these players complaining about not getting anything grew up getting these.  If you want the rewards you need to play and win....simple as that.

nVbee2p.png

6 hours ago, Christendom said:

so the list updates after each PB defense?  I don't remember reading this in the other thread.

Yah that was very clear to me.  Each port battle it updates. The new 25 is the guys that where actuall in the fight defending or attacking. Which won't always be the same guys more than likely.  Not to mention you can hit more than one port at the same time and get it spread out.  Good way to distract another nation to is to make it pick which port it wants to defend or have screeners even at if they don't have the numbers.   You can always take them back on your time too.  I think a lot of the confusion in that post was to many jump and just assumed stuff instead of reading all the details. It was very clear to me that it was who ever showed each time was the new lord.  That was why I was behind it from the start.

• Like 1

I think it’s a great step in the right direction. But let’s face it the focus is on one time 45 minute window, the battle. The empty build up one day prior to the conclusion seems a bit flat or one dimensional as it plays out.

This starts to add or flesh out the port battle with rewards for screeners and the ability to reward clan member’s that can’t or didn’t take part. They are also vital to its success.

The Blockade Idea attached (see 1.02 at the bottom of the thread). This actively makes clan members join in either screening for runners or build role prior to the PB. The idea makes the Port Battle of interest to every single player on that server, Carebear, Ganker or trader of any Nation.

At the moment, it’s between two nations with maybe a third help for screening. That’s it.

Rewards given out yes, you are attracting the wider audience for port battles. That’s what its designed to do. Why not lift the lid, and through it open to the whole server? A lot more interesting than night flipping wouldn’t you say…?

Norfolk nChance

18 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

All in all not bad... But i do think you should get say 1 CM if you provided a set ammount if the Hostility points(not fully understanding how they work this is an open ended suggestion)

The problem with this is when did you get that agro. When US attacked kids I had 16K agro on one char and over 30K agro on another cause I used it for leveling up other clan memebers and just fleet grinding and testing.   If I didn't make it to the port battle your saying I should got 1 CM per char cause I had so much Agro on that port (counter version of it)?  You can collect points for the port battles way before any one flips it.   So folks that never PvP or RvR can have thousands of thousands of  points.  They will be the first to run when the fleet shows up to flip and not show up for the port battle so why should they get a rewards cause you or me stopped the attack and they ran and hid?

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The problem with this is when did you get that agro. When US attacked kids I had 16K agro on one char and over 30K agro on another cause I used it for leveling up other clan memebers and just fleet grinding and testing.   If I didn't make it to the port battle your saying I should got 1 CM per char cause I had so much Agro on that port (counter version of it)?  You can collect points for the port battles way before any one flips it.   So folks that never PvP or RvR can have thousands of thousands of  points.  They will be the first to run when the fleet shows up to flip and not show up for the port battle so why should they get a rewards cause you or me stopped the attack and they ran and hid?

No you only get the points for the agro if the port flips. Then keeping getting it like the others but maybe at a slower rate unless you had maybe 10-15% of the total agro then you would get treated like one of the OB guys ... Just spit balling odeas here

Edited by CaptVonGunn

31 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

No you only get the points for the agro if the port flips. Then keeping getting it like the others but maybe at a slower rate unless you had maybe 10-15% of the total agro then you would get treated like one of the OB guys ... Just spit balling odeas here

I'm explaing how the current system for agro works.  That is hwo it is, you gain and gain until a port battle and than it reset no matter if your there or not.  

12 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'm explaing how the current system for agro works.  That is hwo it is, you gain and gain until a port battle and than it reset no matter if your there or not.  

Ah i thought you were askinng how my suggestion woukd work in that situation....