Game-Labs Forum

Mega Patch 10 Constructive Feedback

I'm all for "realism" in the game and I understand that you need some gold sinks in game, so I like:

1 dura ships.

Provisions required for ship build.

Rum needed to assist Surgeon in battle with crew replenishment.

Having to buy or craft all cannons for the ships.

Protractor on map for planning your heading.

Crafting hull and rigging repairs kits.

The Marks and Permits are fine.

SOL's being hard to come by is good.

It looks like PB's may get a more mixed type of ship for quite some time; thats great and should add to the fun and challenge in PB's.

Still needs tweaking:

Hostility derived from PVE seems to have been tweaked way too low (per Jeheil's post)

I think not being able to capture any AI ships is a bit tough. Maybe a solution could be to allow capture up to 4th or 5th rates or something similar. AI ships captured should always be low/base quality like the npc ships for sale in shop.

The Hotfix tweak to weights on goods (I understand why it was done, the quoted reasoning from devs was fine) maybe went a little too far.

Feedback from clan members doing the ship skill tree grind is that its a bit over the top. Personally I don't see the reasoning to have to grind through loads of small ships I will never want to sail just to get to the skill slots on a 5th and 4th rate I do want to sail. I understand why this was brought in but maybe it needs tweaking down a bit.

I'm sure more things will come to mind but overall am really liking the direction the devs are taking and although there's more grind to do I personally don't mind and am thoroughly enjoying getting to grips with the new game. Nice job by the devs!

Edited by PaladinFX

I agree, I am really liking the direction as well, just would like some tweaks here and there.

I think currently the biggest tweak I ask for is mission reward adjustments as well as startup costs. I just feel players should feel like they can get to where they want with feeling hopeless. Doing a trade run here or there is great, but some players absolutely despise that and wish to make comparable money some other way.

Something that has to get fixed in my opinion is npc trade ships having absolutely no loot, or at least it has been reported that some don't have anything.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Cannons are very expensive only if you buy them from NPCs. 24lb carronade is I believe 500 at cost which makes 50 guns cost 25000 - which can be covered easily. 

medium guns will soon be supplied by players too and prices will go down. As medium guns drop as loot from NPCs.

That is very true. I feel cannon cost when made by a player, is not bad...i would like some adjustments to still be made, but probably a little early for that.

Again the biggest gripe i hear is one mistake and a player feels like he is stuck in his basic cutter again for x amout of hours and instead of wanting to play more, they instead want to stop playing. I want to keep that player here :).

Easy to fall into the trap of spending it all in one hand. We all do that mistake.

Actually, as a good advice, communities should encourage newcomers to work towards having a backup amount of cash to cover a full loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeheil said:

Trading is the way early on, even if you do small trades on the way to and from a mission, once you get a reasonable amount it snowballs, then you can build a building, find something you can farm and sell for more only a few ports away to limit time and risk.......

The old saying "the first million is hard, from there on it gets easy".

(or something like that) 

2 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Easy to fall into the trap of spending it all in one hand. We all do that mistake.

Actually, as a good advice, communities should encourage newcomers to work towards having a backup amount of cash to cover a full loss.

It is good advice for sure and one i like to stick by being an eve online player, but i feel that it's a huge downer when a player comes on and wants to get out of the basic cutter that his options are limited.

Again, I feel 7th and 6th rates, which I know are cheap already, should be cheaper, or at least some of them. So like instead of a player being forced back into a basic cutter, maybe instead they can get to a pickle or privateer. As a player gets more gold and bigger ships, their "basic cutter" version becomes the cerberus.

I know we have some time to play before we look at how the changes effect everyone, but my initial thoughts are still that starting your basic "gold accumulation" options are extremely difficult. 

Maybe having all players starting with some gold could be the easiest fix, but i still feel some tweaks all around should be made.

• Like 1

Got my Chackal ( Lynx ) for little over 9k plus full complement of mediums costing little over 19k. 

So to use the Lynx costs, in my mind, 28k + personal insurance of 28k to cover loss.

If we simply look at missions - Each low rank mission yielding roughly 8k ( plus any cannons loot ) against a equal ship ( or npc trader yielding anything from 0 to 150k ). 7 missions for a veteran. make that 9 to 18 for a absolute newcomer. Remember Basic Cutter repairs and all is totally free, just press the key and it consumes nothing. 

Given that we do have the Pickle as a redeemable we can even play a bit more with the kickstart wallet situation.

A simple solution to the expensive guns problem, is every ship you buy from port that is NPC sold with stock guns.  If a ship can host class 3-5 cannons on a specific deck, then that deck starts with class 5 mediums as an example, so that the ship is usable as soon as you buy the ship.

Just my 2¢.

Edited by Yar Matey

16 hours ago, admin said:

Cannons are very expensive only if you buy them from NPCs. 24lb carronade is I believe 500 at cost which makes 50 guns cost 25000 - which can be covered easily. 

medium guns will soon be supplied by players too and prices will go down. As medium guns drop as loot from NPCs.

Sir, with all due respect, the idea that players will supply all of the medium cannon in the game to combat high NPC prices relies upon an economy where a huge portion of the players are devoted to producing cannons. This will simply not happen lest the playerbase is HUGE, and will only happen in capitals most likely. 

Foundries should produce special types of cannons, they should not be the backbone of the entire cannon market.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _Masterviolin said:

Sir, with all due respect, the idea that players will supply all of the medium cannon in the game to combat high NPC prices relies upon an economy where a huge portion of the players are devoted to producing cannons. This will simply not happen lest the playerbase is HUGE, and will only happen in capitals most likely. 

Foundries should produce special types of cannons, they should not be the backbone of the entire cannon market.

Agreed 1000%. Not to mention, if players provide the backbone of the cannon economy, they WON'T make cannons cheaper. Why lower the price on your own income if you don't have to? Also, @admin can we please talk about how the US has NO coal producing ports? How are we supposed to produce without resources? And before you say "take a coal port from someone else", keep in mind they've gotten a head start on cannon production...

Edited by TXSailor
  • Like 1

I still feel that a general decrease of gold cost from buildings would solve multiple issues that are piling up, but also maybe some tweaks with repairs and cannons, if we can get this right then I think the game will be able to succeed.