Game-Labs Forum

Communication and Expectations

Please improve your communication, as a fellow developer the way you guys strung along the community is really rough.

Please consider the following:

• Do not provide dates to the public. Set quarterly estimates for the public. NEVER DATES.
  • Create a tumblr or a basic blog to provide content and general project updates TWICE A MONTH. (I know, I know I hate documentation too but you gotta do it.)
  • Stop using the forum as a battleground for your ideas. Use the blog for that. Don't fight for your ideas, just show them.
  • Always remember that even if someone saw what it took to build your game they still wouldn't fully understand it. They wouldn't understand the sweat and blood it takes and all the little details along the way. I understand how you guys can be very frustrated with your fan base but when you set a certain expectations and cannot meet them which always happens to us devs the fans/customers freak out.

I applaud you guys for sticking with your vision and hope for the best, don't take this as someone shitting on you but as advice from someone that's been there before.

Edited by koiz
  • Like 1

koiz, pls...

3 minutes ago, koiz said:

as a fellow developer

You're not the first to bandy about with that. What is that? Some sort of advanced way of getting attention?

As a user I find them to be among the most responsive developers I've been around. I've been prepared for every wipe and every postponement by the developers by direct communication.

It's not the developers' communication that UNcalms my titties.

• Like 6

Install the cameras in your office and start broadcasting. :)
For example, as GitLabs during database recovery.

===rus===

А еще можно установить камеры в офисе и запустить трансляцию.

Например, как делал GitLabs, когда востанавливал базу. Они круто накосячили, но зароботали кучу положительных отзывов и сочувствий, а не гневных отзывов.

Edited by qw569
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jodgi said:

koiz, pls...

You're not the first to bandy about with that. What is that? Some sort of advanced way of getting attention?

As a user I find them to be among the most responsive developers I've been around. I've been prepared for every wipe and every postponement by the developers by direct communication.

It's not the developers' communication that UNcalms my titties.

It's just a statement that says, "Hey I've been there before I understand the pain it takes to get something built". Your analysis is quite off, I even reiterated that by saying, "don't take this as someone shitting on you but as advice from someone that's been there before."

Your experience must be short if you think they are the most responsive developers... They can do better and it will help make this community better.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Install the cameras in your office and start broadcasting. :)
For example, as GitLabs during database recovery.

===rus===

А еще можно установить камеры в офисе и запустить трансляцию.

Например, как делал GitLabs, когда востанавливал базу. Они круто накосячили, но зароботали кучу положительных отзывов и сочувствий, а не гневных отзывов.

I don't think we need that much visibility but that would be hilarious.

"TONIGHT ON, NAVAL ACTION THE REAL LIFE..."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, koiz said:

It's just a statement that says, "Hey I've been there before I understand the pain it takes to get something built". Your analysis is quite off, I even reiterated that by saying, "don't take this as someone shitting on you but as advice from someone that's been there before."

Your experience must be short if you think they are the most responsive developers... They can do better and it will help make this community better.

Mfw+not+sure+if+someones+joking+or+dumb_

If you've been there before and have all this deep understanding of how annoying user nagging can be, why would you come here and do just that?

Also, you made this thread after being in direct communication with admin in that other thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

If you've been there before and have all this deep understanding of how annoying user nagging can be, why would you come here and do just that?

Also, you made this thread after being in direct communication with admin in that other thread.

Direct communication? He didn't even response. I decided to detail my points a bit more clearly in a separate post because that post has spun out of control. It's a prime example of these issues.

14 hours ago, koiz said:

• Create a tumblr or a basic blog to provide content and general project updates TWICE A MONTH. (I know, I know I hate documentation too but you gotta do it.)

And what the hell is wrong with the forums, it's what we used before Tumbler and all these other things where around and we can still use them today. I don't want a game that i have to have a tumbler account, twitter, FB, pinster and half a dozen other things to get info off.  I want one place and only one place.  Right not a few games I'm on gives you the info in several different places (The Division liked to put it on Twitter instead of the Forum and FB page).   I should no have to have to look in half a dozen places to get info.  It should be one place and that is it.  

• Like 4

While I usually don't care in the slightest about, say, troll posts of memes and images in feedback threads getting people banned and whatnot, I must say that I'm starting to lose a bit of faith in it as of late. I just stumbled upon the following posted on the steam forums.

Shrez iconGames.png 1 hour ago
Banned on forum for calling devs are not Valve!
How long? forever?

I mean, come on, ease off the ban trigger a bit fellas.

It is NOT one instance that leads to a time/out from the forums. It is the ALL of them. Reckon the rules are pretty clear on that one.

End of Forum rules discussion. Move to Communication and Expectations.

14 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

And what the hell is wrong with the forums, it's what we used before Tumbler and all these other things where around and we can still use them today. I don't want a game that i have to have a tumbler account, twitter, FB, pinster and half a dozen other things to get info off.  I want one place and only one place.  Right not a few games I'm on gives you the info in several different places (The Division liked to put it on Twitter instead of the Forum and FB page).   I should no have to have to look in half a dozen places to get info.  It should be one place and that is it.  

The forums are not one place they are many places so your point that the forums aren't an issue is sort of moot. Not everyone is willing or capable of reading through all the threads.

I should no have to have to look in half a dozen places to get info.  It should be one place and that is it.  

The platform they actually use for the forum supports blogs out of the box so it wouldn't be anywhere else but this site and community.

It may sound dumb to you but a clear channel of communication controlled by the devs would help control the disinformation that floods the ranks of this game.

Edited by koiz

1 hour ago, koiz said:

The forums are not one place they are many places so your point that the forums aren't an issue is sort of moot. Not everyone is willing or capable of reading through all the threads.

The platform they actually use for the forum support blogs out of the box so it wouldn't be anywhere else but this site and community.

It may sound dumb to you but a clear channel of communication controlled by the devs would help control the disinformation that floods the ranks of this game.

There is a section called Developer news and announcements so that isn't all over the place, just like there is a section called Patch notes so you don't have to look all over the place.  

Try again.

Now I do think they need to separate some of there announcements so that you can't comment and that is all it is and than have a separate thread/post for the discussion of some of the topics.  Some of it does get spammy and buried several pages deep.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

There is a section called Developer news and announcements so that isn't all over the place, just like there is a section called Patch notes so you don't have to look all over the place.  

Try again.

Now I do think they need to separate some of there announcements so that you can't comment and that is all it is and than have a separate thread/post for the discussion of some of the topics.  Some of it does get spammy and buried several pages deep.

Yes... Sections that contain tons of threads and comments.

You actually agree with what I'm saying and it seems you're debating it because it's my position... You actually agree when you say this:

12 hours ago, Aegir said:

While I usually don't care in the slightest about, say, troll posts of memes and images in feedback threads getting people banned and whatnot, I must say that I'm starting to lose a bit of faith in it as of late. I just stumbled upon the following posted on the steam forums.

I mean, come on, ease off the ban trigger a bit fellas.

And what happens after banning someone for these weak reasons. Gotta stop treating this like a propaganda machine and more like an open forum.review.png.38ac6f400535f9c7aa570a0617fcbf41.png

25 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I agree they can be better organized, but I don't agree we should be using other out side source to get the data we should be getting here.

I agree I even said:

The platform they actually use for the forum supports blogs out of the box so it wouldn't be anywhere else but this site and community.

It would be on this site just a link at the top, if they choose to enable comments on a topic you'd post with your current forum account. I mentioned tumblr just as an example. 

For example here's a screen from IPS showing off the blog feature enabled along with some others too:

Take a look how they are being used now... Its pretty bad lol

blogs.jpg

Edited by koiz