Game-Labs Forum

If you are looking to build the ultimate 4k gaming PC...

Ned Low

Wait another 1-2 months for a newly announced AMD 'Thereadripper' to come out. 16 Cores with 32 Threads is not a joke. It is an ultra high end gaming CPU and will cost you some $$$, but you will be set for another 3 or more years. It will be much cheaper compared to the upcoming Intel I9 and I think it's a good investment. Also, AMD is releasing their new powerful GPU called VEGA. Early benchmarks show that you will be able to play 4k@80-100 FPS without any problem. Yeah you heard it right 100 FPS on 4k. 

If you have those extra bucks to spend hold on to them and wait for these 2 monsters, you won't regret it. 4k - Virtual reality ready gaming PC is something out of this world. Do not waste your money on overpriced Intel and Nvidia, you are going to pay for their Brand names and not performance per $. 

It's a great time to be alive and witness gaming moving into 4k and Virtual Reality this summer. 

You will need to save at least

$1500, this will get you CPU, GPU and Mobo. 

If you are building from the scratch then $2000 is a good start. Do not forget to get water cooling, you don't want to spend 100s of $ and run it on air. In addition water gives you room for future overclocking capabilities.

What is Overclocking? Overclocking simply means you can add additional performance to your CPU/GPU by increasing Clocks, Voltage etc... without spending extra money. 

----------

If you are on budget and don't have 2k+ to spend, Ryzen 1700, 1700x or 1800x mentioned by Olav are definitely good candidates. You can pair them with same VEGA GPU for little over $1k+ when building the new machine from scratch. 

Discuss. 

AMD-Ryzen-PC-1-1920x1385.jpg

thread-800x449.jpeg

AMD-Vega-Radeon-Next-Generation-GPU-1920

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 4

Slab another 800 - 1000 € for a average 4k monitor at 120Hz / Freesync. VR as enticing as it is, is a luxury gadget at the moment imo.

I can never stress enough, do not overlook a solid and robust motherboard. It is what bring it all together.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Slab another 800 - 1000 € for a average 4k monitor at 120Hz / Freesync. VR as enticing as it is, is a luxury gadget at the moment imo.

I can never stress enough, do not overlook a solid and robust motherboard. It is what bring it all together.

I agree, the more money you will spend on Mobo the better handling it will have while overclocking. There is no questions about it. 

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/

Edited by Ned Low

Why would you get a 16-core 32-thread CPU for gaming? There's a reason why it's marketed as an 'ultra-premium desktop system' / 'HEDT platform'.

8 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Why would you get a 16-core 32-thread CPU for gaming? There's a reason why it's marketed as an 'ultra-premium desktop system' / 'HEDT platform'.

Simply because of Star Citizen with 2 4k monitors.

Edited by Ned Low

Ok, there are some dangerous misconceptions in here (dangerous for your wallet at least).

1. Threadripper is NOT a gaming CPU nor will it ever be, it is a HEDT CPU, good for workstations and such, no game uses 16 cores(edit: How many even use 8 cores? or 6 cores? not many), if you want a gaming CPU with many cores, get the ryzen 7 1700, all you will need for gaming for a long time (and even then, for pure gaming right now, an i7 7700k is objectively better.

2. The leaked benchmarks show vega all over the place, we dont have much solid to work on with vega, we will hear more at computex, lets wait till then, and as always with any product, wait for benchmarks... dont trust the word of the manufacturer or the word of "leaked" benchmarks, leaked benchmarks are easy to fake and manufacturers... well they sometimes skew the truth to make themselves look better.

3. 1500 for threadripper + mobo + vega? maybe, not the 16 core monster however. My guess would be 3-400 for the Mobo, 16 core threadripper around 1500 (judging by competitors prices, HEDT tax etc.) and vega, for the top end beast, if it competes with 1080ti, around 6-700 USD. But we havent heard anything of prices and this is just me guesstimating. 

4. Actually, air is a very solid choice, and you would be surprised about how often air is a better choice than water cooling, especially with how rubbish most All in one water coolers actually are.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Simply solely for gaming for sure not. But does give you several things including robust multitasking and task switch being seamless including games of course.

• Like 2

Just now, The Red Duke said:

Simply solely for gaming for sure not. But does give you several things including robust multitasking and task switch being seamless including games of course.

That is true, and that is an area were ryzen shines... but you dont need 16 cores for that, an 8 core would be more than plenty for that, especially considering with threadripper you would be paying for things which most consumers dont utilize... quad channel memory, 40 PCIe lanes... So like i said, if you are a gamer that want many cores, ryzen 7 1700 is ideal, 8 cores, thats more cores than 90% of the games today utilize leaving many cores left over for other tasks. 

edit: Ryzen 1600 would also be plenty for that right now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OlavDeng2 said:

paying for things which most consumers dont utilize

Totally this.

I take my time buying new stations for home but they do hang tough a good deal of time doing their job - gaming, photo and vid editing, remote office work and media station for the entire household devices ( all MS based consoles and phones ). All seamless and often at the same time.

Each penny will have to be used.

• Like 2

Criticism is always welcome here. My predictions never failed me in past. For example with AMD stock;) that made me quite a bit of $$$:D  (I still recommend people to buy it as it will grow nicely). If you want official confirmation on details then wait for Computex indeed. 

We are talking ultra high end gaming here and not Ryzen 1700, even though it will handle 4k nicely with Vega on pair. Ryzen 1700 must be overclocked to shine and only a small % of customers know how to clock. This puts 1700 on low budget list with somewhat ok performance. 

Thereadripper will be 2in1 when optimized down the road, wait for more info. 

Edited by Ned Low

8 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

Criticism is always welcome here. My predictions never failed me in past. For example with AMD stock;) that made me quite a bit of $$$:D  (I still recommend people to buy it as it will grow nicely). If you want official confirmation on details then wait for Computex indeed. 

We are talking ultra high end gaming here and not Ryzen 1700, even though it will handle 4k nicely with Vega on pair. Ryzen 1700 must be overclocked to shine and only a small % of customers know how to clock. This puts 1700 on low budget list with somewhat ok performance. 

And threadripper will be different? all threadripper has over ryzen 7 1700 is cores(and the extra HEDT bits like quad channel memory ofc), What do gamers need? certainly not 16 cores. Especially for 4k the ryzen 7 1700 will handle it easy, on 1080p yes it needs to be overclocked to shine. But ryzen 7 or threadripper are both cpus id NOT reccomend if you are after gaming performance, the i7 7700k is objectively better than either for gaming.

4 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

And threadripper will be different? all threadripper has over ryzen 7 1700 is cores, What do gamers need? certainly not 16 cores. Especially for 4k the ryzen 7 1700 will handle it easy, on 1080p yes it needs to be overclocked to shine. But ryzen 7 or threadripper are both cpus id NOT reccomend if you are after gaming performance, the i7 7700k is objectively better than either for gaming.

At the moment yes, but wait for what's coming. AMD won't leave gamers disappointed this time. 

Edited by Ned Low

Just now, Ned Low said:

At the moment yes, but wait for what's coming. AMD won't leave gamers disappointed this time. 

Nah, AMD wont leave gamers dissepointed, ryzen 5 is an amazing gaming chip which has in my opinion obsoleted the i5 entirely, ryzen 7 and threadripper however... not for gaming, those are chips for either if you want more things + gaming, or you are doing some workstation tasks (video editing/rendering, VMs, Developmet etc.)

43 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

Nah, AMD wont leave gamers dissepointed, ryzen 5 is an amazing gaming chip which has in my opinion obsoleted the i5 entirely, ryzen 7 and threadripper however... not for gaming, those are chips for either if you want more things + gaming, or you are doing some workstation tasks (video editing/rendering, VMs, Developmet etc.)

2in1, yes. You will be able to have tons of apps running, multiple games open, video and rendering going all at the same time with no glitch. We have to wait on info and see how much better in gaming it will be vs current ryzen chips. There is no doubt ripper will be faster. I am also very curious to see new gen RAM coming to the market soon. 

Edited by Ned Low

14 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

2in1, yes. You will be able to have tons of apps running, multiple games open, video and rendering going all at the same time with no glitch. We have to wait on info and see how much better in gaming it will be vs current ryzen chips. There is no doubt ripper will be faster. I am also very curious to see new gen RAM coming to the market soon. 

Threadripper will 100% not be faster than ryzen in gaming, Threadripper is literally the same uArch, threadripper uses 2x zeppelin dies while Ryzen uses 1x zeppelin dies, since pretty much no game scales past 8 cores, clock speed and IPC is the two things which would be able to make threadripper better... but since it literally uses the same dies... yeah thats not happening. As such, threadripper will not be better in gaming. In multi-core work loads like video rendering, compiling code, VMs etc. It is ideal however.

On the topic of RAM, we aint seeing DDR5 untill 2020, so you will be waiting a while longer for that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

But can it run Dwarf Fortress?

It can run 500 of them at the same time while you are cooking bacon in the kitchen and watching Trump fires people. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OlavDeng2 said:

4. Actually, air is a very solid choice, and you would be surprised about how often air is a better choice than water cooling, especially with how rubbish most All in one water coolers actually are.

I have the Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler, the cpu never gets above 40deg C, it's worst fault is the amount of dust it collects in the matrix, I have to clean it outside...

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I have the Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler, the cpu never gets above 40deg C, it's worst fault is the amount of dust it collects in the matrix, I have to clean it outside...

I went with a Cryorig ultimate, i think it runs 1 degree hotter but 1 decibel quieter, or something along those lines, i don't quiete remember.

Also got a 200mm input for my case itself among other things, 1 big fan is quieter than 2 smaller ones.

People tend to forget that there are usually fans on air cooling systems XD

• Like 1

On a similar note though, how many of you have had a crack at VR?

Tried out the HTC Vive for a few days last summer, and if we get the hardware to push those at 4k to overcome the blurriness - which seems quite doable - and there aren't associated health issues (eyestrain, headaches and such) I wouldn't game on a monitor ever again. Stopped playing any flight and racing sims after realizing how much better they are in VR, which felt kinda bittersweet.

Just waiting on the tech, hope I'll afford it once it's here. :P

8 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

I went with a Cryorig ultimate, i think it runs 1 degree hotter but 1 decibel quieter, or something along those lines, i don't quiete remember.

Also got a 200mm input for my case itself among other things, 1 big fan is quieter than 2 smaller ones.

People tend to forget that there are usually fans on air cooling systems XD

Not really the case for 200mm fans though, id take 2x 120 or 140mm over 1x 200mm any day, 200mm fans are just crap sadly... there is a reason they are mostly abandoned by cases these days

22 minutes ago, Aegir said:

On a similar note though, how many of you have had a crack at VR?

Tried out the HTC Vive for a few days last summer, and if we get the hardware to push those at 4k to overcome the blurriness - which seems quite doable - and there aren't associated health issues (eyestrain, headaches and such) I wouldn't game on a monitor ever again. Stopped playing any flight and racing sims after realizing how much better they are in VR, which felt kinda bittersweet.

Just waiting on the tech, hope I'll afford it once it's here. :P

I mean, I don't even wear a headset because it leaves a headset-shaped imprint in my hair, and I don't want to go out in public looking like that.  I can only imagine what a facebox would do o_O

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I mean, I don't even wear a headset because it leaves a headset-shaped imprint in my hair, and I don't want to go out in public looking like that.  I can only imagine what a facebox would do o_O

Well, a fair few of the headsets go above the ears and around rather than on top so there might still be hope ^^ And don't think anyone is going to be using them in public, unless you plan to set up some IR trackers (lighthouses) in your backyard and the neighbours wonder what the hell you're doing running around in your backyard at night. :o

Just now, Aegir said:

Well, a fair few of the headsets go above the ears and around rather than on top so there might still be hope ^^ And don't think anyone is going to be using them in public, unless you plan to set up some IR trackers (lighthouses) in your backyard and the neighbours wonder what the hell you're doing running around in your backyard at night. :o

They do that anyways with greg so i dont think that last bit is a worry for him xD