Game-Labs Forum

If you are looking to build the ultimate 4k gaming PC...

Ned Low

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

On a similar note though, how many of you have had a crack at VR?

Tried out the HTC Vive for a few days last summer, and if we get the hardware to push those at 4k to overcome the blurriness - which seems quite doable - and there aren't associated health issues (eyestrain, headaches and such) I wouldn't game on a monitor ever again. Stopped playing any flight and racing sims after realizing how much better they are in VR, which felt kinda bittersweet.

Just waiting on the tech, hope I'll afford it once it's here. :P

Did try Oculus and HTC both in simulators, planes and cars.

It is a question of bang for the buck. Personally it would be a waste as half the time I'm playing eyes wide open to what's going on with the family part of life :) so a VR set would be only to be used when 100% nothing will happen. Hence a waste of cash for me.

Other than that, give it one more generation of development, especially for hardware to fully support it and game devs to make the "optics" correct. Some games will give you headaches due to wrong eye to screen angles so your optical muscle is always on a strain.

too bad you don't buy cores for gaming; i have 56 cores in my machine and they just mostly sit idle while playing anything :(

on the flip side, when I do AI development they can burn through my algorithms in hours instead of days!

Edited by CatSwift

1 hour ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

I went with a Cryorig ultimate, i think it runs 1 degree hotter but 1 decibel quieter, or something along those lines, i don't quiete remember.

Also got a 200mm input for my case itself among other things, 1 big fan is quieter than 2 smaller ones.

People tend to forget that there are usually fans on air cooling systems XD

My case has four 120 fans, two sucking in air and two above the noctua sucking air out

Just now, seanjo said:

My case has four 120 fans, two sucking in air and two above the noctua sucking air out

Id definetely reccomend having more in than out. Its impossible to get balanced air flow(most of the time, if you have same in as out you have negative air pressure), and that is really bad for dust if you have negative air pressure.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shrez said:

What graphics card should i buy?

RX580 or RX570

Are 8gb ram more worth?  coz iam wanns stick to 1080p gaming.

RX 580 is def the better card, if i were you however id also take a look at the 480, that might just turn out to be a better buy if you find it for cheaper. Id definetely go for the 8GB version my self unless limited by budget

More than the chip, important is the assembler of the cards ( Sapphire, Asus, VTX, etc ) and they do tinker a lot and come up with their odd setups.

As yet a Asus card on top of a Asus board is top. Sapphire is terrific for any build. Club3D and ROGs can be deceptive. Some of the gaming versions are glorified OC boards which will flicker and die very fast.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

More than the chip, important is the assembler of the cards ( Sapphire, Asus, VTX, etc ) and they do tinker a lot and come up with their odd setups.

As yet a Asus card on top of a Asus board is top. Sapphire is terrific for any build. Club3D and ROGs can be deceptive. Some of the gaming versions are glorified OC boards which will flicker and die very fast.

That is very true, it is also very hit and miss sometimes, like for the rx 480, you dont want sapphire, but for rx 580 sapphire is terrific. Meanwhile for rx 480 MSI was the best, but for 580? you dont really want MSI, so really it some research that has to be done as well. 

(with that said, there is a discord where we gladly help out with any PC questions you might have: https://discord.gg/0uXqxZg1eDE6G95F )

Just now, Shrez said:

Why is Sapphire bad?

Sapphire isnt bad, they just happened to make a bad card that generation, but that changed again with the 580. Thats what i am saying, one generation cards from a company might be terrific, the next shit.

1 minute ago, Shrez said:

Ok thanks!

Then might i'm gonna buy an Asus card np.

If history is to follow, Asus is someone you avoid at all cost with AMD cards, but not sure how their situation is with the rx 580.

6 minutes ago, Shrez said:

lol Sapphire bad Asus bad?

Good trolling.:D

No, thats not what im saying. Sapphire have made bad cards(like there rx 480 card), but their 580 car is solid... asus, they have their history which actually caused cooling problems and loudness (2 heatpipes not touching the die it self, IIRC it was also a problem on the r9 280, the hd 7970, r9 390 IIRC as well, no clue on 400/500 series)

edit: to make it even more clear what i am saying, take a look at the specific card you are looking into, dont look at the brand only, brand is only part of the equation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OlavDeng2 said:

If history is to follow, Asus is someone you avoid at all cost with AMD cards, but not sure how their situation is with the rx 580.

Had 3 cards from them with 0 problems. Burnt 2 pushing overclock too high, shipped back and got 2 brand new replacements with 0 hastle. Avoid at all costs. 

2 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Had 3 cards from them with 0 problems. Burnt 2 pushing overclock too high, shipped back and got 2 brand new replacements with 0 hastle. Avoid at all costs. 

Which cars specifically? Since, unless you modify BIOS thats something that should not happen...

While we are at, plan on upgrading my PC with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 soon. But Im not sure which RAM I should get, since you somehow need to overclock that RAM to get the ryzen to its full potential. I never overclocked RAM before anyways and didnt knew thats a thing 2 weeks ago...

I heard that this RAM is pretty solid: Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000 but then again it feels bad to pay 130 € for RAM..

My GPU is a Radeon R9 290 4GB 

Thoughts?

@OlavDeng2

Just now, Jon Snow lets go said:

While we are at, plan on upgrading my PC with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 soon. But Im not sure which RAM I should get, since you somehow need to overclock that RAM to get the ryzen to its full potential. I never overclocked RAM before anyways and didnt knew thats a thing 2 weeks ago...

I heard that this RAM is pretty solid: Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000 but then again it feels bad to pay 130 € for RAM..

Thoughts?

@OlavDeng2

1. 130 Euro is actually not too bad, and it will only go up in price, there is some serious ram shortage going on(believe it or not)

2. For ryzen, if you want the best experiance you want something that uses what is called samsung b-die, easy way to identify it is if they are 3200 MHz and have CL14 CAS timings, like these ones: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz, they are more expensive, but right now those are the only ones people have reliably gotten to run at their rated speeds.(might change with AGESA 1006 that should come by the end of the month)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Thoughts?

@OlavDeng2

RAM prices are up in last few months...sadly. As Olav said: there is shortage :https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ram-prices-are-increasing-until-third-quarter-2017/

I was plan to build new rig soon but...bahh way too expensive now. My old I5 - 16 GB and Radeon R9 290X 4GB have to handle for some time yet

Edited by Bart Smith
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

1. 130 Euro is actually not too bad, and it will only go up in price, there is some serious ram shortage going on(believe it or not)

2. For ryzen, if you want the best experiance you want something that uses what is called samsung b-die, easy way to identify it is if they are 3200 MHz and have CL14 CAS timings, like these ones: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz, they are more expensive, but right now those are the only ones people have reliably gotten to run at their rated speeds.(might change with AGESA 1006 that should come by the end of the month)

Thanks, I guess Ill wait for that update then and see if I can use some cheaper RAM

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Thanks, I guess Ill wait for that update then and see if I can use some cheaper RAM

You would be perfectly fine with the ram you chose as well, its just not guaranteed it will run at 3000 MHz right now. But even at 2400 MHz, its a solid choice for CPU, im running my ryzen 7 1700 with 2400 MHz RAM (waiting for AGESA 1006 to see if i can overclock it furter, right now it wont go one bit past it)

• Like 1