Game-Labs Forum

Objectives in Major Battles

Beruldsen

In the multi-part, major battles there are objectives assigned but these objectives are often not part of the securing a victory (for example capturing a bridge/ford in Chickamauga).  Is there any penalty for not securing the objective and conversely a bonus if you do?  In many cases I'm inclined to preserve my forces for the next phase...

• Like 1

Just now, Beruldsen said:

In the multi-part, major battles there are objectives assigned but these objectives are often not part of the securing a victory (for example capturing a bridge/ford in Chickamauga).  Is there any penalty for not securing the objective and conversely a bonus if you do?  In many cases I'm inclined to preserve my forces for the next phase...

Actually, they are part of the overall victory scoring. 

At Chickamauga, any points not controlled at the end of a phase will count against your total point at the end of the game. perhaps yeilding a partil rather than total victory. 

And, those points become a factor again at the end of the game when totalling up your final score. 

I usually go for the points only required for a victory. When the objectives list reads: ONE of these must be met....I usually meet one, with an alternate if I have forces available and I don't risk losing that one for a Draw.

First heard about a total point system.  I understood there were various victory conditions or draw conditions (i.e. not holding a location but inflicting a certain casualty %)...so I thought it was pretty clear about either you get a Victory/Draw/Defeat scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

At Chickamauga, any points not controlled at the end of a phase will count against your total point at the end of the game. perhaps yeilding a partil rather than total victory. 

And, those points become a factor again at the end of the game when totalling up your final score. 

What does "partial" versus "total" victory mean?  I've only seen "Victory", "Draw" or "Defeat".  Are you saying that less money/rep/recruits result?  It would be useful if this were spelled out on the results screen somewhere, but I'm not convinced that not taking locations that aren't part of the 'official' victory conditions matter.

4 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

This doesn't make sense to me, Andre. There is no score system or different types of victories in the game. It's complete binary. Win or lose. Well draw too I suppose. Meet the criteria of win or draw or you lose. 

The initial bridge objectives for the CSA must all be held in order to not lose the battle. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Koro said:

The initial bridge objectives for the CSA must all be held in order to not lose the battle. 

It would be really nice to know, at least in vague terms, the consequences of holding (or not holding) these initial objectives when each phase expires. It seems like failing some of these objectives have major consequences, and others are completely meaningless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quicksabre said:

It would be really nice to know, at least in vague terms, the consequences of holding (or not holding) these initial objectives when each phase expires. It seems like failing some of these objectives have major consequences, and others are completely meaningless.

The game tells you this in the introduction to the battle, quite clearly :)

• Like 1

The game tells you this in the introduction to the battle, quite clearly :)

Does it?  I haven't gotten to Chickamauga, yet, but for example, in my Union campaign so far - 1) The objective in the first phase of second bull run. I ignored it, what happens if I take it?  2) The hill on in the northwest of the Antietam map that is an objective in the first phase. I took it. What happens if I don't?  The briefing says the confederates have artillery up there but they don't.  3) Stones River, first phase. Neither of those objectives counts at the end of the battle. Is there an incentive to hold them? The briefing doesn't say.

Edited by quicksabre
try to fix quote
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, quicksabre said:

Does it?  I haven't gotten to Chickamauga, yet, but for example, in my Union campaign so far - 1) The objective in the first phase of second bull run. I ignored it, what happens if I take it?  2) The hill on in the northwest of the Antietam map that is an objective in the first phase. I took it. What happens if I don't?  The briefing says the confederates have artillery up there but they don't.  3) Stones River, first phase. Neither of those objectives counts at the end of the battle. Is there an incentive to hold them? The briefing doesn't say.

The ones that are critical are either in the victory conditions or described in the text. The noncritical ones are there for tactical guidance mostly as many players likely need help in knowing which points are useful to hold on the battlefield. Other than that, they serve no purpose really and can be ignored at your discretion.

• Like 1

Just now, Koro said:

The ones that are critical are either in the victory conditions or described in the text. The noncritical ones are there for tactical guidance mostly as many players likely need help in knowing which points are useful to hold on the battlefield. Other than that, they serve no purpose really and can be ignored at your discretion.

Got it, thanks. So I assume something like the taking bridgehead in the city of Fredericksburg in the first phase of that battle is important because it basically tells you that you have to do it to get the army across the river, but the objective in the first phase of Second Bull Run isn't because it just tells you your goal is to cross the map and meet up with the army, and maybe kill some rebel troops on the way?

Just now, quicksabre said:

Got it, thanks. So I assume something like the taking bridgehead in the city of Fredericksburg in the first phase of that battle is important because it basically tells you that you have to do it to get the army across the river, but the objective in the first phase of Second Bull Run isn't because it just tells you your goal is to cross the map and meet up with the army, and maybe kill some rebel troops on the way?

Something like that :). Their purpose is not always clear, I'll grant you that and some of them do quite literally nothing. I could imagine being used as a sort of tally to keep score throughout the phases. So if you hold it you get 1 point in your advantage and whoever holds the most points at the end of the battle, wins. This would require almost complete revision of the game's battles though and likely won't happen though I find the idea interesting as it would give more purpose to these locations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koro said:

Something like that :). Their purpose is not always clear, I'll grant you that and some of them do quite literally nothing. I could imagine being used as a sort of tally to keep score throughout the phases. So if you hold it you get 1 point in your advantage and whoever holds the most points at the end of the battle, wins. This would require almost complete revision of the game's battles though and likely won't happen though I find the idea interesting as it would give more purpose to these locations.

That would be cool - Hold them as the Union at your initial line at Stones River and win a greater victory than if you fell back to your entrenchments.

I actually assumed when I first started the game that they determined how the battles phases branched - kind of like how in UGG whether you captured objectives in one phase impacted your options in future phases.

20 hours ago, Koro said:

This doesn't make sense to me, Andre. There is no score system or different types of victories in the game. It's complete binary. Win or lose. Well draw too I suppose. Meet the criteria of win or draw or you lose. 

I beg to differ. 

Following the Chickamauga campaign in one play through, I did not hold one of the ridges early in the game, and while I 'won' I did not get the 'decisive victory' screen although the rewards seemed to be the same. So it is a gradation thing. 

regarding the other, these are not the droids you seek. 

• Like 1

OK, I am now told these ARE the droids you seek. 

Gentlemen; allow me to introduce you to the Endgame: 

After the Last Battle, when the sabers are handed over and the peace treaty signed -- win or lose -- you are told your history after the war is done. This is calculated based on your entire performance throughout the Campaign. 

So, if you lose, and are a diehard Confederate like Watkins (not that I think Watkins loses a lot of games, but for example . . . ), you might be a Rebel hunted by the Federals. You may be forced to take refuge with a Cherokee Chief named Lone Waddi, and seek your way down to Texas. Perhaps you'll meet a wagon load of Jayhawkers from Kansas; and stare down a war chief named Ten Bears. Is this one possible ending of the game? I reckon so. 

If you win, you might be elected President. Or Senator. Perhaps Governor. Mayor of a Town is not the worst possible fate. Maybe you'll own a Plantation, or a Factory. Or become Superintendent of West Point. 

Koro wants to own the Lego factory. Mercanto wants to Carpetbag a couple of small distelleries in Tennessee. Kelly is hoping to be mayor of a town in France; but if he goes home he is afraid Javert will finally find him. And I have no doubt The Soldier will stay in the army. Forever. 

Lots of options. 

Fitting, considering the incredible number of options and difficulties you'll have faced bringing this terrible conflict to its final conclusion. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 1:09 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I beg to differ. 

Following the Chickamauga campaign in one play through, I did not hold one of the ridges early in the game, and while I 'won' I did not get the 'decisive victory' screen although the rewards seemed to be the same. So it is a gradation thing. 

regarding the other, these are not the droids you seek. 

What's the difference between the normal screen and the decisive victory screen? I've never noticed a difference.