Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King of Crowns

CURE for the dreaded night flips

55 posts in this topic

We already tested 2 servers though. It's not so much about prophets as it is about making the same mistake twice. Imo that is.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

We already tested 2 servers though. It's not so much about prophets as it is about making the same mistake twice. Imo that is.

no, we tested 2 servers that were exactly the same and still some US players choose to be on the EU server.

what we test now are restricted serverwide rvr times. finally

5 people like this

But the EU server has the very same problem developing that we currently have had on PVP1, people wanting to set RVR times for only those times convenient to them.  Just read the EU port battle thread, the same salt, just less vinegar.  There are a vocal group who have been around as long as I have (some longer) who seriously want the port battles to play like a LAN party.

Examples (paraphrasing)

>1500 wont work, many will be still at work, should be 1800 to 2200

>2200 port battles mean over at 0100 for me, too late but 2000 would work

>2000 too early, my daughter has piano practice, how about 2100?

>2100 doesn't work for me, thats when Star Trek is on.  I say 1500-2000

So we are left with some sort of insane compromise where port battles can happen on the weekends only, and maybe every other Thursday night, server time 1945, unless the traffic is bad.

Having several battles spaced out over an extended time frame is more logical, andI think solves the issues, this is a good idea that the devs should seriously consider.  The long term survival of this game is everyone's goal, finding a way to smooth over the rough parts (split servers, night flips, work flips, playtime restrictions) MUST be addressed,  This suggestion is a good one, and has NEVER been tried. 

Or we can keep doing the same thing, and if the EU PB thread is any indication, have the very same problems that have plagued PVP1 since the devs stated they probably would be closing PVP2 and merging it with PVP1, causing many people including my clan to move over and stay.

Oh please, most of that discussion has been around the merits of whether the upper and lower limit oughta be +/- 1 hour, that's nothing - especially when compared to how far away we are from any workable single-server solution. But I guess it's easier to make a case with paraphrasing and hyperboles.

1 person likes this

The focus on port battles has plagued this game which use to be about age of sail ship combat. And not trying to reclaim the glory days of Potbs but with more realistic combat. I have a pretty good solution to the port battle nonsense it doesn't involve timers and it's not dependent on where you are located on the map its an MMO solution to what is intrinsically an MMO problem.

This solution involves multiple things working together:

1) Nation voting to decide the target region

2) Port Battle queue

3) Its not just 1 decisive battle that determines victory but all engaged battles that happen over the span of a week or 2 at the end of which a winner is announced.

4) Participation Awards, then awards for top players (for all involved not just the winners) once winner is announced

5) After winner nation is announced port flips in 24 hours

Think of this as a pvp queue where you join it and when a full battle is ready a window pops up "would you like to join X Attacking Y at Z Port Battle?" you then join that instance from where ever you are when battle is over you return to where you were when you joined the battle if not already in one. If you lost your ship then you return to where you were but in a basic cutter.  To deal with lack of playerbase for defenses simply make it so that anybody from any nation besides the one attacking can join the defense. This way everyone can play at their times and still have port battles and there should be enough people from all nations to put up a defense at any time. At the end of the week or 2 weeks of battles everyone gets rewards and such for how much the contributed to the war effort etc etc.

This would work on both a EU/Global split servers and a Global only server. Solves the problems people are having with night flips, port battle timers, port battle locations, involvement in port battles when not in a clan, etc. This solution solves a large number of issues with this game in terms of port battles and what gameplay is lost by implementing this ? Potentially hours of time of open world realistic (yippee!!?) sailing to reach a port for a single battle where you are either 1) unopposed or 2) outnumbered, no more silly port battle flags.

This may not be a purest of pure realism solution infact its not trying to be, but it would be fun and engaging.

Here comes the hate in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

2 people like this