Game-Labs Forum

5 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

We all remember sailing in the game when we didnt have a GPS, well we do now.

Would you prefer to make is reference within the square only or get rid of it altogether.

I prefer the latter as I dont think we need it in game at all.

Exact coordinates are too much and not very realistic, but there must be a system to get relatively good coordinates regularly. You must be able to know when you have passed the island you are looking for. I suggest that we get updated coordinates (with small random error) at noon instead of continuously updated exact coordinates.

I can't see how this will add anything to the game besides the frustration of getting lost at sea, as OneEyedSnake described. Especially for new players who will enjoy the lengthy OW sailing sessions enough already. We don't have any navigation instruments like a sextant or an accurate star map to help navigation, either ( would be beyond cool but the time it would take for this to be implemented is probably better used on something else ).  This could be interesting, if there was actually uncharted land waiting to be discovered.

• Like 2

If you don't want the GPS than don't look at them and the map.  Plan and simple.  Some of us suck at navigation through third party means and it helps us alot.  Though most the time now I never look at the map cause I know it.  Just like most of you do.  Though a new player will have no clue and doesn't know the game like the back of there hands.

54 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Balls, Brilliant Idea...    

All you need to do is drop the last 2 reference digits from your location. 74.25/ 23.25 to 74/23    

Norfolk.

You do know that is a big area, as that is each square block.   That is a lot of area to cover, but if you are so freaked out about GPS and it doesn't even put a dot on the map so it isn't even true GPS, just don't look at the top corner of your map, better yet just never push the M key than and use third party stuff to plot your own course. 

They did have charts back than and could pretty accurate plot there courses, yah they might be off a bit, but you guys forget this is a freaking game not a real life simulator.

What I think is funny when I hear folks say hay I got some one out here, the don't say. 74.25/23.25.....no they say. "I just caught Norfolk out side La Tort, the battle is open for 5 mins so if your in port or can get here hurry up."  Rarely have we ever used coordinates other than stetting up a meeting place to get every one to before a port battle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duncan McFail said:

Nothing more fun than sailing anywhere in the middle of a storm without coords.

I like the idea of disabling the coords while sailing inside a storm. Having no coords at all in general and no other means of navigating while getting lost is probably only fun if you have way too much time on your hands...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Lust said:

I like the idea of disabling the coords while sailing inside a storm. Having no coords at all in general and no other means of navigating while getting lost is probably only fun if you have way too much time on your hands...

I do like this.

And I am totally not staring at your Avatar.

13 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Come On Sir Texas,   

Hug a Carebear today... 

Norfolk

I just remember how bad it was back in those days when I couldn't figure out how to set coordinates and such and had to revert back to my Viking days of staying to the coast lines so I wouldn't get lost.   Than again if you got lost back than all you had to do was sail west...you will hit US coast line sooner or later.  That was back when I never went past the Florida Keys or the Bahamas also.  Now I don't even use the map any more, but I'm looking at the game from the casual player or new player that doesn't have over 4.5K hours in game.  Just about every one of you that have piped up in this post have prob a lot of sail time, like I said if you don't want to use the cords than don't look at them.

• Like 1

Maybe from Post Captain and higher the rounding happens. This helps the player in the early stages of the game perhaps...?   

Sir Texas,   

Look up a BBC Doc film on The Bermuda Triangle 2 years ago. Flight 19 US Navy and navigation....     

Flight 19

Main article: Flight 19
170px-TBF_%28Avengers%29_flying_in_forma

US Navy Avengers, similar to those of Flight 19

Flight 19 was a training flight of five TBM Avenger torpedo bombers that disappeared on December 5, 1945, while over the Atlantic. The squadron's flight plan was scheduled to take them due east from Fort Lauderdale for 141 miles, north for 73 miles, and then back over a final 140-mile leg to complete the exercise. The flight never returned to base. The disappearance is attributed by Navy investigators to navigational error leading to the aircraft running out of fuel.

One of the search and rescue aircraft deployed to look for them, a PBM Mariner with a 13-man crew, also disappeared. A tanker off the coast of Florida reported seeing an explosion[42] and observing a widespread oil slick when fruitlessly searching for survivors. The weather was becoming stormy by the end of the incident.[43] According to contemporaneous sources the Mariner had a history of explosions due to vapour leaks when heavily loaded with fuel, as for a potentially long search and rescue operation.

4 hours ago, BallsOfSteel said:

We all remember sailing in the game when we didnt have a GPS, well we do now.

Would you prefer to make is reference within the square only or get rid of it altogether.

I prefer the latter as I dont think we need it in game at all.

Not aware of consequences i guess?

No way to find sealed bottle wrecks in OW , if you can navigate at all.

You are forced to sail near coast only if you dont have some references on navigation.

22 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Not aware of consequences i guess?

You are forced to sail near coast only if you dont have some references on navigation.

No, you are not. You can sail pretty well without coordinates if you have a map. You can use landmarks on the way. Of course, you should not try to sail directly to some far away port, but you split the journey in smaller pieces and correct you position on the way. You can do this with game map, but there are external tools which help a lot.

But I agree that we need some kind of coordinates. I like the idea that you don't get any coordinates in storms (or in fog and cloudy weather) and roughly the correct coordinates otherwise (at least noon coordinates). This helps when you are trying to find out whether you are outside of the map or when you are lost somewhere middle of the sea.

Edited by Blackbrook

2 minutes ago, Blackbrook said:

No, you are not. You can sail pretty well without coordinates if you have a map. You can use landmarks on the way. Of course, you should not try to sail directly to some far away port, but you split the journey in smaller pieces and correct you position on the way. You can do this with game map, but there are external tools which help a lot.

But I agree that we need some kind of coordinates. I like the idea that you don't get any coordinates in storms (or in fog and cloudy weather) and roughly the correct coordinates otherwise (at least noon coordinates). This helps when you are trying to find out whether you out outside the map or when you are lost somewhere middle of the sea.

There is no "but" in terms of navigation. Either you can sail on OW or not.Without being able to know where you are,it is impossible.

The lack of GPS before we got coordinates on the map and before we started using F11 to get coordinates is part of what I miss the most from when I started playing this game. I would absolutely support nerfing the GPS a bit to make navigation less accurate.

23 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Sealed bottles as they are now should be removed. Instead of sealed bottles wrecks should spawn semi-randomly in the OW away from the coast so that you can come across them when you are out sailing. Instead of something that you sail out specifically to get, wrecks should be content you encounter on your sails.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Anolytic said:

The lack of GPS before we got coordinates on the map and before we started using F11 to get coordinates is part of what I miss the most from when I started playing this game. I would absolutely support nerfing the GPS a bit to make navigation less accurate.

Sealed bottles as they are now should be removed. Instead of sealed bottles wrecks should spawn semi-randomly in the OW away from the coast so that you can come across them when you are out sailing. Instead of something that you sail out specifically to get, wrecks should be content you encounter on your sails.

Make it harder and harder for the newbs;)

Lets do it :ph34r:

Just now, Fenris said:

Make it harder and harder for the newbs;)

Lets do it :ph34r:

The very first instance of OW we were all newbs. We had to use real maps to navigate. Not in game map :)

Do not diminish anyone please. People are more bright and resourceful than you give credit for :)

• Like 4