Game-Labs Forum

Gettysburg day one

i64man

Good morning Gentlemen, I have a question regarding Gettysburg day one as a CSA. Started the battle with 3x Bde's and during the first hour, secure the the small ridge in front of the bridge and the ridge on the right side of the map with 1x Bde. My two other Bde's are pressing the fight to the ridge on the left. I just got my first set of reinforcements and I directed them to the ridge on the left. After getting my first reinforcements, I conquered the leftside ridge, routed several units. The Union received reinforcements and I still held the ridge and force them to retreat to Gettysburg. I left the game after receiving my 2nd wave on day one on the far left side of the map. I have to march them to Gettysburg to take the last hill, but the timer is just over 1 1/2 hours.

The question is, can this battle be won on day one? I know I have the rest of my 1st Corp and my 2nd wave just arrive, but can it be done without going to day two? When the timer rundown, will this signify the start of day two? 

Edited by i64man
  • Like 1

Yes end of timer means u're going to fight the second day provided you didn't take Cemetary Ridge on time. It's advised to not loose a single minute once you've received those troops. However it's pretty doable to win on day one, it's generally what most CSA players try to go for and most of the time they are succesful.

Thanks Col_Kelly.... I will try it tonight..... push with the bulk of the 2nd wave, take a division run it on the boundary behind Gettysburg and shifting my troops from the left ridge and flank cementary hill once the Union in Gettysburg is busy with the assault from the 2nd wave.

When Gettysburg first came out for this game, it was comically easy for the CSA. By the time you're pushing onto cemetery hill you've already smashed all the union out at the seminary etc, and the cemetery is guarded by tattered remnants of the early union forces, and a trivial amount of fresh troops. With plenty of time its basically impossible to lose. The devs fixed this, I think, by greatly reducing the amount of time you had. While it's still possible, fairly easy even, to win the battle day 1, you have to move your troops, run them even, from the second they enter the map. IMHO it's not particularly fun. Running in an all out blitz for the cemetery feels gamey and historically implausible. Why, though, would I do anything different when doing so saves me at least another day and potentially tens of thousands of lost men? I'd have rather liked an alternate day two where Meade decides to try to recapture cemetery and culp's hills through assault, but for whatever reason the devs decided not to go that route.

Edited by Jake4228
  • Like 1

Jake4228.... that is food for thought. I might still try it to see if it can be done and above all how many soldiers I loose.... otherwise, set for day two and take it in a more organized matter as long as the troops remain where they arrive at the end of day one.