Game-Labs Forum

Early when the OW map was opened, about a month or so in we had a wonderful fight, truely my most favorite moment of this game by far. I only think one other battle was able to be better than this one.

Warning: Strong Language

Steesandwich already hinted towards it, but this is pure and pure addictive magic:

Outgunned and outskilled, we charged in and gave them no time to organise, some real Nelson manouvres there. And this every freaking Saturday. Where has the time gone.
This makes your blood pump faster, being chased at, being the one doing the chasing, watching your health, taking one for the team and on the background Nornica being funny and drunk at the same time hahah <3.

Oh yeah and FOG , fog was awesome, it was nerfed to hell, but oh buy when it got introduced on the OW, it was so thick that sometimes ships appeared out of nowhere. 
Devs i beg you, re- introduce it, the same old thick fog but not every night cycle like back then, make it an epic natural thing.

So many magicall moments:)

• Like 8

Knocking down a mast on an Ingermanland with my Mortar Brig! :wacko: 

Escaping a Surprise with my Trader Brig! 

The visuals are great of course but the best part is sailing around with friends looking for fights whether just cruising or going to PB.  We had fun in the "yacht club" after the last wipe! 

• Like 3

Why bother talking about it, when it can be showed. I still remember my first big ship battle in NA, all the way back in sea trials when i was still running a shitty setup on my youtube channel:

Nothing beats that amazing experiance of the first large battle you are in. It was amazing, it was a great experiance(be warned, that video is a bit cringy il admit).

The open world presented new things, it was fun seeing the map, joining the dutch nation chat and being guided to the lower antilles and the DAS TS where i met folks like Steel, Konoli, wesley and oh so many more amazing people. Great fun were had with das and on the open world with things like the Trafalgars which steel set up, was a real PITA to set up, especially with ships attacking you, but the sense of community was amazing.

The pre-early access is where I frankly had the most fun, I feel for two reasons. 1. The sense of community allowed things like the monthly trafalgar to be done in good spirit(for the most part), 2. I have experianced a lot and this game might in some ways be getting a bit not for me, hence why i am looking forwards to NA Legends. 

Truthfully, I feel though this is where the true experiance of NA lies though, not with the single player, but with the community, with a clan with awesome folks like steel, wesley, konoli and many more from other nations(too many people to mention), the team work, the large amazing battles. 

Of course, as NA went early access, I admitedly moved a bit away from the active group community as it became a bit too much for me, but it is something I still long for, just in a more casual way of NA Legends, but that does not take away what i would say is the greatest moments of NA, the great amazing grand battles, the scale of them, the tactics, its a cool and id argue unique experiance to be had.

• Like 3

This was a pretty good time. All of the thousands of hours spent hunting sorry across the map. there were a few times we met up on even grounds. very rewarding times.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/254841825955035791/2B5928F9286AF241F5E3D3632D76B71A940D4F51/

One of the other great moments for me in naval action was January of this year. I had decided to try to take command of the US fleet. We had been trying to get the danes off of the eastern US coast. So we rallied enough captains to fight at two crucial ports and turn the tide in the war. Santo Domingo and Savanah in one day. From that time on the US fleet ,which was left in disarray due to all of the BS that vicious had done, was once again considered a fighting force in the RVR. I remember looking at the US nation ts that night and there was no less than 50 pp. in there all talking about how great our victory was. previously you would do good to see more than 10 players on the nation TS. It was just a good moment for the US fleet and for all the people who put the work into reorganizing and commanding the fleets.

• Like 3

My first wow moment was when after start playing on Brit side I had not experienced any PVP. Even took a break and when I came back this is when I decided to step on the path of a pirate thinking that they dont have to look for pvp as hard. PVP is looking for them.

On the second or third day (already joined BLACK by that time and been guided by them on TS) I managed to find my very first pvp in a form of a Snow trader. He was sailing from Little Issac Rocks to La Desconocida and at first didnt see me following him.

I was sailing rattlesnake and have never ever attacked a real player before. My heart rate was so high I thought it will jump out of my chest. Fingers shacking, hands sweating, almost slipping off my chair sitting so close to the edge.

He finally saw me just before his destination port. Tried to wiggle then continued running towards the port. I managed to tag him seconds before he could dock. As a result he appeared quite far in the instance.

Straight away I thought to remember the lesson how I should tag players. I have made lots of mistakes in that fight. Even almost lost him when I got shamely stuck in irons and could not get out of it still not being aware that I could control my sails manually (going back now me thinking damn how can one get stuck in irons sailing rattlesnake right? Haha I did :) ).

Long story short. I got the guy at the end. He was probably just as newb as I was. I got full cargo of coal. Its nothing but I was stocked. I had probably the most enjoyable experience I ever had playing a game and I'm 40yo and still remember MUDs.

My real journey in NA action started from that moment months after I first logged in. 

• Like 6

my most magical moment would be the first battle i ever had on na. it was one of the first large battles that happened on na i believe. here is the link to the vid(im "seawolf" ofc and SeaHyena is "sureshot"). 

the fog in these battles was amazing. we split off in our own little groups/fights and had no idea where our allies or enemys were. at any moment a enemy or ally fleet could come and join in on the little battle.

The next magical moment was the final battle vs WO in the tournament. doing fair fights vs other groups was a great experience that i wish would happen on NA more. 

• Like 7

The Pirate/French War of PvP2

Not sure if that's too broad of a "magic moment" (it lasted, what, 2 months?) but more than anything else, that war cemented NA for me as a good game.

There were nightly open world hunts as Pirates tried to do missions and level up and we tried to stop them. The pirates were more numerous and higher level but we were able to hold them pretty well at Pedernales, where the shallow port defense negated their level advantage. There were epic amounts of smack talk. There was a lot of open sea hunting, gank attempts and counter-gank attempts. We were in each other's faces every single night. If you wanted PvP it was not hard to find.

Once that war was over I tried to recapture that feeling several times and failed. I guess I won't go into the list of reasons why we failed to recapture that moment somewhere else (including after moving to PvP1) but suffice to say I think a lot of changes over the past year will help make it easier to get into this kind of conflict next time. At the time, game design made it a fluke -- rarely did two nations overlap that strongly, but that's what you want for good wars to occur.

To me that is the true epic gameplay Naval Action offers.

Almost any game can give you a "good fight" but it's hard to find a game that makes me want to log in every night to continue a war.

• Like 4

What keeps me playing is PvP. When you can find good open world PvP battles one after the other, nothing is better. NA has one of the most unique combat systems ever and it's just awesome to play the game when you have endless amounts of PvP.

If PvP is easy to find, that is when NA is at it's best. :)

I have found since hostility was added, these kind of PvP battles are hard to find. Hopefully we can bring back great PvP like old times. 

One of those great even battles back when flags were in game and we were battling for grand turk.

65VRFje.jpg?1

6 First rates + 1 Trinc Vs All First Rates 2015

Eeq6MrG.jpg?2

2016 near La Habana.

sFZPj8A.png

Surp Vs Buc near La Navasse late 2016

fWX2rhm.jpg?1

All different scenarios, each have a strategy to winning or escaping. When NA has easy to find PvP and various different scenarios of battles, that keeps NA interesting and fun to play. :wub:

Edited by Sureshot
  • Like 4

the Wow for me, when it was sea trials and the brig was introduced, going from the lynx and cutter to the first square rigged ship, learning how to sail manually was a new challenge. And then the OW added, learning how to navigate, sailing for hours checking out the landscape and ports, getting lost in the wild storms from the Baltic sea and heavy sea fogs from northern Europe ( until they worked out the weather for the Caribbean was not like that of northern Europe)  seeing the game change and grow from sea trails to OW no matter the bug pain, Ive enjoyed all the concepts of the game from port battles, pvp fleet battles, trade and crafting. Waiting in anticipation for the new direction the game is going in. I've tried the testbeb update and really like the new changes.

• Like 2

I liked the game from the first day I played (Feb 2016, 1574 hours), but I'd have to say that my first wow moment was when I joined a clan and we started our campaign against the (Aussie) Brits around Bonacca. It was a battle that lasted a couple of months and we were almost always outnumbered. Those fights taught us how to sail and fight as a group and we even won our share of battles. I can still remember the first time I saw a Santisima explode in a battle in Bensalem Harbor. We laughed the rest of the night- if I remember correctly it was one of Merrill Stubings gang which made it even better.

Since I was little I've been captivated by the sight of ships under sail. I keep playing the game because it is a beautiful game to play and I've met dozens of friends on TS over the last year plus.

I've played POTBS, Sid Meiers 'rats, Port Royale II, and I even go all the way back to the Ancient Art of War at Sea on a monochrome monitor. This game tops them all.

Here is one of my favorite screen shots from back in the day. I'm running a flag in my Merc at 103 knots...lol.

.jpg

Edited by Yippee Ki Yea
  • Like 2

So many to choose from, I should just hit the highlights to make it easy :)

The first being from Sea Trials, where I had one of my first few battles with TDA, and in particular with Tommy Shelby, who I would continue to play with for thousands of hours. Sea Trials was a time of small community and constant battles which created some of the best memories in NA.

The next would be in the first iteration of OW where I as a lonely midshipman had to sail from the US coast to the coast of Cuba which while menial, using only landmarks and a compass was certainly a daunting task and indeed quite frustrating to find the correct port. After leveling up some I then sailed from Cuba to the port of Plymouth. Using only landmarks and my trusty compass I set sail and the feeling of hitting Plymouth directly in one continuous sail was beyond explanation. Personally I miss the old navigation in the game and the challenge that it posed to all players. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1ZVtVRT1B2FGRGqpVRa6afA7I5qY&ll=28.4276006978859%2C-64.67050455216327&z=5 (link to booyah's map :) )

The most memorable moment had yet to come though. At Plymouth we would have a Trafalgar battle between all of the nations( except British xD ), a truly epic event. 25 v 25 all people on team speak. Now for some newer players this may seem trivial with the addition of port battles and the like, but for its time this was truly an event of the grandest scale and will not be forgotten. So after spending an hour or a two getting pulled into battle by ai and fighting the wind we finally began the fight.

And to reference the post above the rivalry between the British and the rest of the nations (particularity SLRN) made for some very fun fights and chats (especially with Manvua)

• Like 5

the passage from Sea Trials to Open World.

storm battles

battle with introduction of land inside instance

the time when there weren't fleets and repairs but only the player ship in battle (with stronger hull)

being able to craft my personal ship alone without help

my 1st 1st rate

1st rates battles

being able to do everything, in an acceptable amount of time. (from crafting to battle, not only 1 of them)

3 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

One of the other greatest times for me in naval action was during the tournament. That was by far the most fun I have had playing a game of any type. TY again for the people who organized that and put the 100s of hours of work into that.

Amen. The tournament was epic indeed!

Wow. What a great topic. I completely agree that the compass really needs to go. It certainly added to the adventure and exploration. The game was great and I spent sometime on the test bed server. I think if they implement most of what is on the test bed the game will likely die. It's literally no longer "fun". It's become an impossible grind. And this is coming from someone who LOVES RPG's and grinding. Trade is also dead....traders aren't even worth capturing. 

Id say if things stay this way I'll hope for just a PVE standalone game and they can close the servers. There is literally no way to advance in the game. You can't make money so you can't trade. You can't purchase factories because your broke. So no ships for you. That means no pve OR pvp. Your literally "stuck". Everyone on the testbed server thinks this I'm pretty sure. 

600+ hours here... playing something else but will monitor for another week or so. 

HUTCH78

British