Game-Labs Forum

Enjoyed this game from day one! Graphics have been phenomenal! Played Empire Total War for years then converted to Naval Action. Love the strategy & game play. Realism is there even if I lose my ship. It's a game you have to learn on your own or, as I did, by watching it on YouTube. Been with it for three or more years and love every battle, trading, buying ships etc. What I like most is gaining experience in a ship you feel you know. Great job Devs! 

• Like 1

This has been a great thread to read and view. Thank you all for sharing your memories for those of us away from our computers at the moment. I've mentioned it before but I hope they do away with coordinates. It adds to the adventure. I've also come to the conclusion that perhaps since the day night cycle isn't synced to the clock.....just delete the clock!! It'll still look good!! All they knew back then was when "noon" was anyways! Simple fix!!

Hutch78

• Like 1

14 hours ago, admin said:

so do you think the island/port hopping strategy is better than unlimited region capture? (where you can sail anywhere and capture anything?) 
also do you think ability to capture all ports was better than capturing regions?

I'd say both should be given the right spot.

• Conquering far from borders should be possible but require a special organization (planning, maybe logistics and help from allies)
  • Capturing all ports (or raiding them) would expand the conquest gameplay. But capturing a regional capital has some added epicness. When all ports could be captured, many players left because the conquest was too intensive. With only regions, the conquest lacks dynamism (but that also depends on other factors such as combat balance and PB victory mechanisms).

Magic moments:

Tonight, when we fought the brits 5 vs 10 and won by a close margin (the end of days on PvP1).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776154411789309397/75076A2FF62DDFC74AFC7B26588397F4B31313CF/

Battle at Cumana, helping the Danes vs the Dutch - was one of the hardest battles i've ever had (the great east/west conflict).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/395581850117594348/CF5F709412A32980C87D30D959DB7624C9128E86/

Battle against Pirates, were we Swedes where able to pull a perfect result (the third swedish pirate campaign).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/447365653987869606/75F797B5ACE27F5219E2C5BCE29D34A55BA5AF4D/

Booting the Danes the first times, after being dominated by their fleet for months (the great antilles war).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/451866701002697052/FA1F68EB69FF24604977A5B3208FFFE82FA3F5ED/

Blocking the Danes to cap the last tower with our three remaining ships and getting a win on a razors egde (the great antilles war).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/441730428576971582/9578F1DD616ED0E47A5DCB46211B55D35815A2B6/

All those fun shallow fights vs the Dutch at Blanquilla (the swedish-dutch war).
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/456361430280745622/2908DB381F579593BEE3827C1566A33D74C11C9A/

For me, every PvP/RvR action is a magic moment, whatever i loose or win.

Not magic moments, but surely magically pleasing pictures and ships:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/437238244785516083/02FD8223A2FCCBC3D81224284CAAFC0A864A5885/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/437235073116873300/91DF5990168ABA6D6E2F219497E9CBF379F40F56/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776154411788730047/F7B4EDA53FEACBA947255B186BE829CDCAB3C74B/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/156903851087673946/38EF909846D3EA1926DDDE45E47BDFD9851F1750/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/427106415240670707/E8648262B510ABFF116C60A81C84BFBD27DED489/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/496891286002482446/72D577347BF90FEE8427FD0E2C3DB34A6A8E2ADF/

Thank you for this wonderful game!

Edited by sveno
  • Like 10

Magical moments for me :

- Back when we used to navigate without coordinates, everytime I guessed my position correctly and made landfall exactly where I wanted. Also, trying to and failing. I miss that sense of being lost and finding your way again.

- My first battle with SoLs. I was sailing a Merc, and at some point found myself cutting across the front of the formation. Looking at all those menacing ships coming right at me... Thankfully I was ignored for mostof the fight, until I was put to use tagging a 3rd trying to escape. He demasted me and nearly sank me with a single broadside, then got away XD

- Getting my first Belle Poule. Charging through a mixed fleet of Trincs and 3rds, carros ablaze, and emerging on the other side with barely a scratch and a couple of assists to my name. Fell in love with that ship there and then.

- Still on the Belle Poule, stern camping a rat Trinc so hard he finished the fight with just two working guns.

- Back when the Pirates (SORRY) had invaded most of Jamaica, I got to take part in one of the Liberation Armadas. Litterally hundreds of ships for several simultaneous PBs and corresponding screening fleets. Sails as far as the GPU could render. Awesome sight.

- Solo hunting with my custom playlist of mixed 'Master And Commander' and 'Lord of the Rings' soundtracks.

- During one of the infamous "Morant Point Raids" the Pirates and Danes would pull off on a daily basis, my Pavel got sunk by a group of Pirates in 2nds and 3rds. I sailed out again immediately after spawning back in port, just in time to join the revenge gank battle. Once inside, I managed to track down, single out AND get the kill on the guy that got the kill for me in the first battle. Instant revenge ;)

- Putting 12 leaks in an Essex with a single broadside from my Ingermanland. He never recovered from it and sank.

- Getting 12 leaks in my Pavel from Pirates, and no sinking (somehow)

- Trolling a Spanish Constitution in my Basic Cutter for a whole 40mn before he was finally able to demast and ram me. Managed to start two fires in him before I sank jejeje.

And many more... ;) 

• Like 2

The entire game is my "Magic Moment"!! Naval Action has obviously struck a chord with many devotees of the "Age of Fighting Sail"!!!  All other attempts at creating similar games in the past pale in comparison. As stated by others, this is truly a dream come true.  I have been a student of naval history since I read the entire Hornblower/C S Forester series in High School, followed by fictional series by other naval fiction authors over the last 40+ years: Ramage/Pope, Bolitho/Kent, Delancey/Parkinson, Aubrey/O'Brian,  Drinkwater/Woodman, Mainwaring & Gallant/Susthren, and more recently Hayden/Russell, Cutler/Hammond, and Lewrie/Lambdin. This led to an extensive library on biographies of Nelson and other Naval Heroes of the time as well as non-fiction tomes on nautical history, sailing and combat during the18th and early part of the 19th Centuries.  I even took up sailing small day-sailors in my college years. This game replicates the sailing experience quite accurately but my first truly "MM" was during combat in a night action with cannon fire lighting up the screen!!

I am not a "Gamer" - NA is the only game I play. This game has allowed me to experience in a "dry" setting an approximation of what it was  like to participate in naval combat of this time period, something I have always dreamed of - which is now a reality - and get this - we are only just completing the "Alpha/Beta stage"!!!

For all those impatient players with "Toxic" comments -  remember that this is not a completed game and patience with the devs is warranted considering the amazing complexity and realism of this game. I have 3441 hours into this game and do not regret 1 hour of it - what out there is better??

Thanks again and kudos to all who have participated in bringing this game to fruition.

ps - apologies for the long list of fictional works - by I so enjoyed reading them I thought others interested in this genre might try some of them.

• Like 5

There are many but a few spring to mind.

Accidentally sinking a team member in storm battle during Sea Trails. The weather was so bad he could not tell who did it and I never confessed (I think it was Tommy Shelby).

The endless SLRN versus Danes in early OW. Some we won, some we lost but always a good fight.

When the DEVS prohibited carronades on big ships but forgot that existing ships fitted this way still had them. My Bellona's suddenly became dreadnoughts.

More recently the guy who tagged me in a bigger ship and relentlessly chased me after I was badly damaged forcing me eventually to turn to meet my certain end. But on his last broadside he got stuck in the wind and I caught fire, allowing me to get alongside and watch (gleefully) as he too caught fire so that he could not escape thus allowing me to blow up killing his crew.

• Like 3

The probably most hilarious ones in (beware!) PVE:

RA fleet mission, most of us set up for boarding getting nice and close to get those tasty first rates (there were a lot of them there), one of us shot at an AI Victory right as we all were really close to pull the respective target --> fire, crew shock -> fire shock and a few moments later around 20 masts (friend and foe) fell into the water as the Vic blew up.

Oh my ears are still tingling from that laughter.

Edited by Tyrdael

3695 hours Played! Battles in raging storms with high seas were Epic!!  I missed the big swells They never should have been removed !!.  The First time I reached level 50 craft and built my first gold  Santisima . The absolute friendly Camaraderie on the PVE Servers And the way we all help each other and support each other in battles and Also in just learning the game and leveling up.  Exploring new coastlines and attempting real navigation Before the grid cheat system. (Which would not have been necessary by the way if we just had accurate compasses Instead of the little toy compasses) I also miss the fact that it was the only game I've ever played in my 60 years where I was able to engender my family to play also,  even my Older sister! . We got to enjoy something that Bridged generations that didn't require Memorizing 1 million esoteric control buttons or twitch reflexes that could be played at a much More leisurely pace and required a little planning. The fact there was something in that game for everyone whether you just wanted to be a merchant, or you wanted to engage in epic battles, or you just want to teach others. Or if all else just sailing And exploring. I also Enjoyed sinking a ship with a Single lucky shot from the mortar Brig 308 mortar. The first Time I Used the fire ship To set fire to an opposing fleet. There were a lot of moments like these . Especially the ones where we were able to create maximum slotted fleets of players to go Into  epic battles. And many more

20160617215236_1.jpg

20160601233633_1.jpg

20160604064926_1.jpg

20160604065427_1.jpg

Edited by JazAero
Edit pictures
  • Like 4

Days had passed and the maelstrom had dragged our aged Brig far off course with no way to know by what degree or direction. Continuously tossed and rocked on waves higher than the gunwales. Steel grey clouds so burdened they had been dragged down from the heaven to rest upon the steel grey sea and cut visibility to only a few yardarms in all ways we could see. Bursting full of torrential rain which poured onto the decks making the wood sleek and slippery underfoot. We had a hull full of our entire worth that was needed in dock and before any other trader and this would make us a fortune we dreamed and now feared we would die for. Sinister shapes and shadows, harshly lit with every distant lightning flash, forever moving in the heavy mist all around. Fear, fear, bone shaking fear that one phantom would break the veil bearing 'The Black', and then  all'd be gone and done. Then a glimpse and hope, in the glow of the distant struggling sun a silhouette of land and the familiar towers of a port. Hurrah, hurrah we've been saved this day.   

Edited by Lisa-Azra
  • Like 3

Few great moments i can remember :

1st - at the steam release, me and a few friends from cutters to snow and mercury, battling against a lone ai constitution, this thing looked like a monster by then, very impressive and dangerous, he won.

2nd - Travelling from port Fort-Royal to Louisiana in a Lynx. That was epic, boring, beautifull, stressfull but at the end i was proud to establish an outpost in Louisiana.

3rd - A full Swedish Cutters and gunboats fleet passing La Martinique and my LeGrosVentre, saluting me on their way to the defense of a french port in the south (probably against Brits or Dutchs.

4th -  One of the numerous screening battles i took part in front of Puerto de España. I was trying to escape a larger fleet in my 3rd rate, i ran away from my buddies wich were promised to a certain death. A Surprise kept hitting my sails, soon, a Bucentaure, a Bellona and a constitution  gained on me. I tried to save my sails as long as possible, keeping heading straight to Naparima. First the surprise made a bad move and i took the opportunity to land a full double shot salvo at him, then one of the consti tryed to push me probably looking for a quick boarding win. I used all my double charge / double shots on his port side and he gived up the time for him to repair, but when he came back again, i heard the distant fort protecting the entry of Naparima firing is guns on the consti, i was saved ! All my ennemies turned away that was close.

- Special mention - to all the 1vs1 or 2vs2 pvp battles i fought in shallow waters.

• Like 1

~~1200 hours

I remember my first serious PvP action, more than 100 people on teamspeak, huge operations, people organizing and giving orders. For a new player in a frigate, without previous experience in big MMO games, this felt awesome, to be a part of something big.

Also, a battle for Kidd's Town, on the secret island, where we managed to win the port battle, because 3 pirate ships sank to the circle, literally 30 seconds before the battle was over, shifting our battle rating to our victory.

And, of course the battle outside Maracaibo, where we managed to stop whole danish 1st rate fleet, using troll fireships fleet.

Generally, Pvp and RvR were always the most exciting part of playing this game.

• Like 5

My first magic moment was when I set sail for the first time in my tiny cutter and the ship moved with the waves, dived into them and came up again, it was like real sailing. A damn great moment. The second was when I switched to the surprise and the third when I attacked the first time with 18pdrs in a frigate, suddenly I was able to make big holes.

And I still enjoy firering full broadsides :D

• Like 2

The Moments that make me evenings exciting in game i think is BP Lottery system,not every craft man so lucky to get the BP every time ,get the rare BP could make me happy all day,  I miss that feeling , i had prepared so many materials that can craft 15's more Victory  , of course ,it's for La'Ocean , i had played this game 952 hours, i will play it as long as i can  。

Keep  on it ! DEV

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but for me one of the most memorable times playing NA so far was "Black Wednesday" 31/11/16, when the Eastern alliance carried out a strategic attack on 7 ports simultaneously. It put us in a bit of a panic with initial thoughts of not defending some regions, but eventually managing to get enough fleets together to defend all and not losing a single region. There was some great battles that night.

• Like 3

Wow moments...

- Afraid in the beginning to sail too far from Willemstad. Some day i did a mission, came back in a huge storm. Couldn't see anything but a vague shape what should be the island. At a certain point i, and some other ships who were also struggling to get back to the port, could see some lights of the city, but somehow couldn't get to it (land in the way). It was kinda funny.

- My first Snow. Now i really felt like i had a big ship.

- Figuring out manual sailing, and trying to apply it well with my surprise. The surprise is an awesome ship.

- My first Port Battle in my surprise, mainly frigates then in PB's yet. No lineships yet. Didn't know for shit what i was doing, without clan or TS, but at least i was trying to help. Sank while fighting in the chaos.

- My first 3rd rate, now that's a ship! Bought those huge carronades for the rear, the sound of it!

- My first Port Battle in my 3rd rate, between other 3rd's and maybe a vic already. Very cool, sailing in line (if it goes well), it's really a different level than the normal battles.

- My first victory... amazing ship, although slow of course, which is to be expected. Still like it more than the Santi.

• Like 2