Game-Labs Forum

Civil War Art

First off, long time no see! We just finished track at the high school I work at so I have been pretty busy with that.

This is an off the wall topic, but one I enjoy. What is everyone's favorite piece of Civil War Art?

My personal favorite at the moment is "High Water Mark" by Don Troiani. I love everything about it from the actual painting to to story behind it. The leadership Gen. Armistead showed leading his brigade into the Union line at Gettyburg is amazing. Also, the fact that some say this is the where the South almost won the war is something I find very interesting. 

Image result for high water mark on the confederacy

Edited by Major Grigg
  • Like 2

No question in my mind. Hood's Texas Brigade by Don Troiani. Like Major Grigg, I am deeply intrigued by the story behind it. The Texas Brigade's stand in The Cornfield has always been one of my favorite moments in Civil War history.

hood-texas-brigade.jpg

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston
  • Like 3

Image result for artwork, confederate cavalry, raiders

John Hunt Morgan reviewing his cavalry in Kentucky before beginning the deepest raid into Union territory of the war. 

This picture does not do justice to the artists work, but it's damned impressive up close. None of the uniforms are regulation, no two men are armed the same; the only consistency in garb is the iron discipline of the men and the pride in their bearing that shows even as they hold their horses. 

Band of brothers, company of heroes. 

Those who do not fight with us on St. Crispin's day will consider themselves accursed. 

Note the absolute lack of medals and heraldry: the greatest honor of the Confederate Army was to be mentioned in dispatches.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

Mine is the first piece of Union art...tsk tsk

I respectfully disagree.  Powderhorn's post number 2 certainly looks union to me. But then, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.   ;)

• Like 1

I'm reminded of an account of the 2nd(?) US Regular Infantry, between Devil's Den & Little Round Top.  Essentially, holding formation to stall the Confederates, and then retreating in order though pressed on three sides.  A quote of, "We have taught them to fight like men, now let us teach them how to die like men" is in my mind as well.

Maybe I'm misremembering, maybe it was apocrophal, but if it is true as I remember it, I wonder that there is no art of it.

2 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I feel like Richard Sharpe. 

Do I get a bad-ass Irish Sergeant, a curassier's sword, and a fine optical telescope as well? 

You do, but he's going to constantly lecture you on the emerging abolitionist ideology and pro-Democratic impulse of United States Volunteers during the Civil War, juxtaposed with that of the pro-slavery impulse motivating Confederate volunteers.

Also, he's Scots-Irish 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

You do, but he's going to constantly lecture you on the emerging abolitionist ideology of United States Volunteers during the Civil War. 

Also, he's Scots-Irish 

Well, I can trace my paternal ancestry to Robert the Bruce's Sheild Bearer; and my elite brigade is invariable the Black Watch. You think I'm going to object to Scots anything? Adding a bit of Scotland to Ireland is the only thing that keeps those people from killing themselves anyway.  

• Like 1

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Well, I can trace my paternal ancestry to Robert the Bruce's Sheild Bearer; and my elite brigade is invariable the Black Watch. You think I'm going to object to that? 

He's now a Welshman

• Like 1