Game-Labs Forum

Civil War Art

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

To quote Teenage Negasonic Warhead; 'you've really got me in a box here'. 

Count yourself lucky, I was going to give you a Dutchman next. 

Enjoy your Englishmen, Sharpie. Now take that hill, I think its called "Hamburger"

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

Count yourself lucky, I was going to give you a Dutchman next. 

Enjoy your Englishmen, Sharpie. Now take that hill, I think its called "Hamburger"

Weed and hookers? Not my first choice, but everyone should visit Amsterdam once.

Still, better than watching Canadians die in 'Dieppe'. ;)

(Actually, Dieppe was a cover for an SOE insertion of strategic spec ops toopers and equipment to the French Underground, and stealing German radar. Intrepid insisted they call it a failure to cover up the fact it was an enormous success. But, Canadians, eh? )

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Better than watching Canadians die in 'Dieppe'. ;)

(Actually, Dieppe was a cover for an SOE insertion of strategic spec ops toopers and equipment to the French Underground, and stealing German radar. They called it a failure to cover up the fact it was an enormous success. But, Canadians, eh? )

I'm experiencing an odd mix of offense and satisfaction at this...

You bastard(?)

Actually, my Great Grandfather was a medic at Dieppe. He spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp.

• Like 2

Hand to hand fighting during the brief Confederate breakthrough of the Union line at the Carter farm - Battle of Franklin, TN. 1864.

The Carter house in the background and the small brick office in the foreground are still standing. The wood portion of the house still has the bullet holes showing, while the back side of the brick office still shows the damage from Confederate cannon fire.

The Carter Cotton Gin is due to be reconstructed this or early next year. The Carter House and Carter Cotton Gin were locations for the most fierce fighting.

At the time of the battle the Carter farm was about 3/4 of a mile from downtown Franklin. The town has since grown up around the Carter house location, but the Civil War Trust has been reclaiming as much land around the house as possible. For instance, the reconstruction of the Cotton Gin at it's original site, was recently the location of a Domino's Pizza.  And the location across the street from the Cotton Gin (where General Cleburne was killed and now has a memorial), was the location of a Pizza Hut. 

The Carnton Plantation - which was used as a hospital during and after the battle is still standing, and the Carnton grounds is the location of the Confederate cemetery for those killed at the battle. Many of the Union soldiers who died at Franklin are buried at the Union cemetery 28 miles east at Stone's River Battlefield. 

Carter house.jpg

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 3

Captiva,

Your selection of BG Emerson Opdycke leading his Buckeyes at Franklin is a surprise to me.  Growing up outside of Stryker, Ohio, the elderly farmer neighbor, Emerson Opdycke, and his family lived on the farm across County Road G from us, and his brother Russell lived two miles down the road.  Emerson was named after his Grandfather, pictured with the pistol in this painting you selected.  Emerson recounted to us once or twice that during one fierce battle all the field officers dismounted except for COL Opdycke, and as he was the only officer high enough above the smoke who could see where the firing lines were located and could direct the unit's movements, he was later chosen to get his general's star.  Emerson's son and one daughter still live in the area.

(I grew up surrounded by Yankees ...)

--Gael

Edited by Gael

On 5/20/2017 at 2:02 PM, Gael said:

(I grew up surrounded by Yankees ...)

Gael. I too, grew up in the midwest farm country (Illinois). My great, great Grandfather joined an Illinois Volunteer regiment toward the end of the war and was stationed at a ammo depot in Alton, Illinois. I now live in Franklin and am a member of the Franklin Civil War Roundtable. I had little knowledge of the Battle of Franklin, and it's importance, till I moved here 20 years ago.  

Many of the Union soldiers at Franklin were from the mid-western states of Ohio, Illiinois, Wisconsin and Indiana.

How cool  that you lived down the road from Opdycke's grandson! Opdycke helped save the day at Franklin by charging forth from behind the battle lines to repulse the Confederates from their breakthrough of the Union line just south of the Carter house. Most of that fighting took place in the Carter yard, pictured in the painting. Franklin is such a tragic story for the Army of Tennessee. I continue to hope that the battle is included in the game. It could be a stand alone historical battle or included as a part of the Battle of Nashville in the campaign. 

Some Battle of Franklin Facts:

World War 2 General Douglas MacArthur's father was a part of Opdycke's brigade and was in the middle of the fight at the Carter house.

More Confederate generals were killed at Franklin than in any other battle of the war: Cleburne, Carter, Adams, Granbury, Gist and Strahl. 

At Gettysburg, 12,000 Confederates marched over a mile of open ground during Pickett's Charge.  At Franklin, 20,000 Confederates marched over two miles of open ground to attack the breastworks at Franklin. The Confederate casualties from the assault at Franklin, were greater than those from Pickett's Charge.

Franklin resident Todd Carter was a Captain in the Army of Tennessee. His childhood home was the Carter house. As he rode his horse toward the Union breastworks in front of his family home, he was struck by a Union bullet. Before the battle commenced, Todd's father and family retired to the cellar of their home for safety. After the battle ended and the Union Army retreated toward Nashville, the Carter family was  informed of their son's being wounded. They searched and found Todd's body about 500 feet from the house he grew up in. He was carried back to the house where he died the following day.

Captiva

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 1