Game-Labs Forum

Swedish 2nd rate "Spiran" by F.H Chapman

BungeeLemming

9 hours ago, SteelSandwich said:

Ill lend a hand here, the chatham is build along the same lines as the admiraal. She has different but very similar decorations and ornaments. It's neither of those ships.

As far as my knowledge goes, the stern style =/= dutch design.

Then the only other ship I can remotely think of is Danish, the Dannebrog.  And if it's not her, she's either Danish or Swedish.

The French had a couple of 90 gun second rates, but none that fit the bill.

Edited by Haratik

hmm.. I shall shed some light then and tell you why you wont find any images or models of this vessel.

I am pretty certain I am the first person to model and publish images of her. She was never build but approved by the authorities. Means she would have been build if the money was at hand.

Her dimensions would have been:

• Length                     202' ("national" fot) -> ~60m
  • Breadth                   53' -> ~ 15,73m
  • Draught Forward     22' -> 6,53m
  • Draught Aft              23' -> 6,82m

Armed with:

• 30*42pd
  • 32*30pd
  • 32*18pd

and a crew of ~830

You could search for a ship named "Spiral" but I did it myself to make sure this doesnt give away too much. But maybe your digging methods are better than mine so I wish you good luck if you plan on searching this vessel.

• Like 2

Hmmm, well it looks like the Dutch 'Voet' = 1.033 English feet, which puts the length at 195.5'. 60 meters is 196.85' so That is very close...however its not out of the question that the Swedish or Danish foot equivalent is similarly close to the English measurement.  I can't say I have a good guess for the identity of the vessel, but given the relatively high headrails and hawse-holes, and two tiers of galleries on a three decker, I'd place this ship between 1800-1820, most likely in the second half of that range. The American '74' gunners (that were really more like traditional second rates, with two full decks and a fully armed spar deck) had round bows and only one or two tiers of quarter galleries, and the British built a first rate on the great lakes with similar characteristics during the war of 1812.

http://imgur.com/AFiPOHg

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3186-hms-st-lawrence-1814/ 

It certainly isn't any of those ships, but has the characteristics that would be considered modern at the same time they were built and after. 

Nearly.. It wasnt '97 it was 1792:

Spiral_data.thumb.jpg.ea88bd2a7e20003ee2197e389583eeab.jpgSpiral_data_02.thumb.jpg.bc343c57370ca2d7a92db125c4ed248d.jpg

I understand where you got that date from however I have no clue how it was determined to be `97.

The plans I have come from the swedish archives and they differentiate a bit from the plans shown in the thread above. My plans do not feature any deck houseing or roofs whatsoever. Could be slapped on later..

plans: (they are intended to be low res!)

592ad1e10008b_scaleddownplans.thumb.jpg.bc5683a9ca2ea7c5648678e6b70978b9.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sveno said:

A beautiful ship, and we surely cant have enough Swedish ships ingame, but, is there even the slightest chance for it getting implemented due to never being built in RL? 

Maybe we could hope for "Chapman 1790 Swedish fleet proposal" ship bundle! ... ;-)

(included: 66, 74, 80, 94 and 110 gun ships, not sure if all of these had even plans made)

lolno.

If this was approved for the game I would not share it^^

All I model is first and foremost for my own experience and curiousity.

@Riparian

I do have the plans for the 74 gunner and there are plans for the 100 gun vessel.

I dont know about the intermediates

Hmm, indeed a beutiful ship. The name is not "Spiral" but Spiran, swedish for scepter. I have bought these plans too (bloody expensive) for the sake of having eyegasms at them. Chapman really knew how to build boats. I had hopes of someday modeling this ship when I have refined my skills. But it's truly awesome to see someone actually making this pracically unknown ship a reality. If you would be missing any of the plans (like the rigging) I would be happy to send them to you.

• Like 1

On 2017-06-01 at 4:41 PM, Riparian said:

Maybe we could hope for "Chapman 1790 Swedish fleet proposal" ship bundle! ... ;-)

(included: 66, 74, 80, 94 and 110 gun ships, not sure if all of these had even plans made)

The 110 gun ship, project name Kronan has complete plans in the swedish war archives.There also exists for example : 60 gun unnamed project, Äpplet 80 guns, Nyckeln 66 guns and the Spiran. These are all projects by Chapman that never were built, although i suspect the 60 gunner bear similarities to Wasa. The 110 gun, 94 gun, 80 gun, 66 gun all have complete plans including rigging.  For those interested they are all named after the swedish crown jewels, a naming tradition in sweden for larger naval ships. I´m planning on visiting the war archives next week and dig around a bit. As far as I know the late 74 gun project (not the Gustav III) by Chapman was built as the Carl XIII. There is however a 74 gunner drawn by Gilbert Sheldon (grandson of Francis Sheldon) in the Archives from 1780. 

Edited by Archdouche
Extra info

13 hours ago, BungeeLemming said:

о

13 hours ago, BungeeLemming said:

these are the planss for the 74 gunner:

Reveal hidden contents

Konung_Gustav_IV_details.thumb.jpg.93ec724bf2ea8a207ed85db40defb796.jpgKonung_Gustav_IV_sideview.thumb.jpg.4612f83e24ee007c42012ba8c37c707c.jpg

Выявить скрытые содержимое

Konung_Gustav_IV_details.thumb.jpg.93ec724bf2ea8a207ed85db40defb796.jpgKonung_Gustav_IV_sideview.thumb.jpg.4612f83e24ee007c42012ba8c37c707c.jpg

Is it possible to see the frames of this ship?

• 8 months later...

naw. this is merely myself having fun with the plans I acquired for this vessel.

The update is getting half a year old and I did not do anything more to the vessel. I lost interest and wasnt yet motivated to continue her. The arcs that frame the Sternpiece are still off. They look goot at a distance but the closer you get the more apparent are their flaws^^

Yeah , your right . I posted Kronan .

Kronan, also called Stora Kronan, was a Swedish warships that served as the flagships of the Swedish Navy in the Baltic Sea in the 1670s. When built, she was one of the largest seagoing vessels in the world. The construction of Kronan lasted from 1668 to 1672 and was delayed by difficulties with financing and conflicts between the shipwright Francis Sheldon and the Swedish admiralty.

kronan-tvarsnitt-illustration.thumb.jpg.46049333c4ca425967b0a14516f28370.jpg

Edited by CaptainSparckles