Game-Labs Forum

It seems like the enemy has almost the best rifles and superior experience no matter how many battles I win. Make it all the way to Gettysburg fighting through that anyway and it's just annoying at this point. After all that time my experienced troops with mostly 2 stars hold a little while but everyone else seems to run when a gun fires. Then the game will start me with my troops in the worse places while the AI charges or just seems to appear in perfect position. Love the game and idea but this is killing it for me.

1 hour ago, pascout101 said:

It seems like the enemy has almost the best rifles and superior experience no matter how many battles I win. Make it all the way to Gettysburg fighting through that anyway and it's just annoying at this point. After all that time my experienced troops with mostly 2 stars hold a little while but everyone else seems to run when a gun fires. Then the game will start me with my troops in the worse places while the AI charges or just seems to appear in perfect position. Love the game and idea but this is killing it for me.

? I've won every battle in the Union and Confederate Campaign on Brig Gen difficulty and I think the scaling makes it fair, but challenging. Which battles in particular do you have trbl with? There are a few such as the Crossroads one (union) that are REALLy hard, but there are others that should be okay.

2 hours ago, pascout101 said:

First off, glad you enjoy the game. 

Second, yes, the enemy will always be larger and better equipped than you. That will never change. This is by design to offer the gamer a quality challenge with each passing battle. The term for this is 'scaling'; you'll hear it again. 

However, when you start the campaign there is an option beneath Colonel rank to 'Fix Enemy Strength'. This will curtail scaling and give the player a smaller, less well equipped enemy in each battle. 

The 'Fix Enemy Strength' option is perfect for players who are learning. The AI is unchanged, it is only manpower points and weapon quality that are affected. It is still very challenging. It makes almost no difference in the beginning. You won't see a major difference till Shiloh; thereafter, one decisive victory will give you an almost permanent manpower advantage. Therefore, it's also great for grognards who want to enjoy an adult beverage or two while displaying their military genius in their off hours and maybe only have time to log on now and again. 

• Like 1

Second, yes, the enemy will always be larger and better equipped than you.

This is not true. Player will often outnumber or outclass the AI as well. Depends on the battle and how well player manages his army in the campaign to enlarge it as necessary. If he takes too many losses and prefers to sacrifice a lot of soldiers for a win, then later it is more probable to have an army that will be outmatched in all aspects.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

This is not true. Player will often outnumber or outclass the AI as well. Depends on the battle and how well player manages his army in the campaign to enlarge it as necessary. If he takes too many losses and prefers to sacrifice a lot of soldiers for a win, then later it is more probable to have an army that will be outmatched in all aspects.

Nick, how much do you play the game? Because. it. is. true.

I'll run a campaign with Unions and confeds on normal once the new patch comes out. Or maybe the final patch. In any case I never sacrifice soldiers to win, and the AI almost always outnumbers and outclasses me. Unless it is a scenario where you've basically disabled the scaling...

Edited by Karri

4 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

The AI is unchanged, it is only manpower points and weapon quality that are affected. It is still very challenging. It makes almost no difference in the beginning. You won't see a major difference till Shiloh; thereafter, one decisive victory will give you an almost permanent manpower advantage. Therefore, it's also great for grognards who want to enjoy an adult beverage or two while displaying their military genius in their off hours and maybe only have time to log on now and again. 

Were you specifically thinking of me when you wrote this? ;) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Fair enough. I was making a generalization, and stand corrected.

Besides, I'm going to tell YOU how the percentages play out in this game? ;)

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

Were you specifically thinking of me when you wrote this? ;) 

Whistling loudly, i exit stage left . . . . . .

I have actually played the Fixed Forces option through several battles to see the difference. Even then, it's no cake walk. Nick's AI is still brutal. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I have actually played the Fixed Forces option through several battles to see the difference. Even then, it's no cake walk. Nick's AI is still brutal. 

Nick's AI is brutal, but there are ways to outplay it even when doing Brig Gen. You just need to savescum... a lot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karri said:

Nick, how much do you play the game? Because. it. is. true.

I'll run a campaign with Unions and confeds on normal once the new patch comes out. Or maybe the final patch. In any case I never sacrifice soldiers to win, and the AI almost always outnumbers and outclasses me. Unless it is a scenario where you've basically disabled the scaling...

If you play as CSA, it is true that most of the time, you will be outnumbered (historically) but not outclassed in training. If you play as Union, you will outnumber the enemy very often but you will face veterans more frequently, especially at mid-end game. In any case, in patch we fixed an issue that really made odds unfair at mid-end game so to get the best experience you will have to wait for the patch.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

The 'Fix Enemy Strength' option is perfect for players who are learning. The AI is unchanged, it is only manpower points and weapon quality that are affected. It is still very challenging. It makes almost no difference in the beginning. You won't see a major difference till Shiloh; thereafter, one decisive victory will give you an almost permanent manpower advantage. Therefore, it's also great for grognards who want to enjoy an adult beverage or two while displaying their military genius in their off hours and maybe only have time to log on now and again. 

The Fixed Enemy Strength is NOT just an easier version of Easy Mode. The rewards are significantly less. Like up to 25%. So the player has to be much more careful with his own units. 

That said, I've seen some Youtubers of, erm , questionable skill do quite well on it. And in many cases they've gotten to a place where they can outgun and outman the enemy quite easily. 

• Like 1

Not to mention that the "fixed enemy strength" sword cuts both ways. So if you really bungle a few battles, the enemy will still be just as strong in the next major one. No scaling down there. 

Granted, that's largely offset by the fact that we can only play with fixed strength on easy mode, another reason I'd like to have it as an option on the other difficulty levels one day. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MishaTX said:

Not to mention that the "fixed enemy strength" sword cuts both ways. So if you really bungle a few battles, the enemy will still be just as strong in the next major one. No scaling down there. 

Granted, that's largely offset by the fact that we can only play with fixed strength on easy mode, another reason I'd like to have it as an option on the other difficulty levels one day. 

In my opinion, fixed strength would hurt the player on Hard and Legendary. The Devs would have to make enemies on the upper end of Experience to counter players that go plan and mean. And then they'd have to make the units big to counter the players that go for mob tactics. The result would be large, very experienced units in every battle regardless of player performance. Lose a battle? Enemy is as strong as if you had done perfectly. 

People comment on how they do you like autoscaling. But I view it as a necessary evil to help those that choose/ are forced by losses to keep their army size small and their veterancy level on the higher end. 

18 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Whistling loudly, i exit stage left . . . . . .

Well it is tough...When I play Fixed mode, I could sometimes swear that Lt. Colonel Absolut and Adjutant-Captain Morgan don't have the best advice....

• Like 1