Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Challenge

Let's be Crafty.

9 posts in this topic

Okay so I didn't turn in any of the redeemables except the gold. I wanted to see how the low end of the scale was going to work. I decided after looking around a bit to craft myself a Lynx. Very exciting moment.

First thing was to start collecting the resources so I went to the craft screen and worked my why through the mats to figure out what I would need. Foodstuffs for provisions -- fish and salt were easy enough but since there is no way other than fishing to get them... it could take a while. I got lucky and an AI smuggler from Spain had a hold full of salt. I farmed the oak and the fir and bought the iron ingots. On to Step two...

I had farms for the Oak, Fir Hemp and Sugar (not needed for the build, but I like Rum). Get the mats built as resources are available. Fairly painless and about the same as before. Except we are at such a low population on the test bed, the other resources weren't showing up on the market. Rip out the Fir farm and go for Lignum Vite and Stone (a stone mine is called a quarry by the way, fyi. Common translator error). Expensive drop of 20,000 and I'll need to go back to fir at some point because Tar is very useful stuff.

Bit by bit, piece by piece I get all the parts built. Then I need to destroy one of my buildings so I can make a Shipyard. (Another wasted 10,000 to add to the Fir farm's wasted 10,000.) Everything is now set. At this point I notice that I have earned 0 (that's zero) crafting experience. Then I craft the Lynx. Stats don't matter because I don't plan on it being around long.

It has been said by Admin the plan is for crafters not to do all of this by them selves, but to team up and make it a joint effort. Why would I do that.? If I'm not going to get any experience from building parts so someone can craft the ship -- what is the point of helping them. Yeah, I get I can sell them the resources or the materials, but unless I gain experience for my part in the team, money isn't all that good on an incentive by itself. I can get that easily enough. I want to improve my crzaft skills as people who actually make things do for their effort.

I'm hoping this isn't a finished aspect of the game as yet.

Except we are at such a low population on the test bed, the other resources weren't showing up on the market. 

This is a very temporary problem. People sell the resources on the live server, even though they don't get XP.

The devs think that if you just make frames, planks, knees, rudders, rigging, sails, guns and repairs you wouldn't in real life gain the experience to make a first rate. But churning out and breaking endless Traders Lynxes is fine.

Personally I reckon it's flawed. XP for making components you can sell is very useful when starting out, but once you are past level 15 or so most of your xp will come from making ships and by level 40 (where I am now on live) it'll probably be over 80%. Ships give 2.4 XP per LH (Testbed too it seems, though the cutter's borked); the maximum you get from anything else on Live is 1 XP per LH but many components are 0.25 or 0.1, and harvesting resources gives nothing.

25 minutes ago, maturin said:

This is a very temporary problem. People sell the resources on the live server, even though they don't get XP.

It maybe a temporary problem but it is a vary valid point.  

Why would I be inclined to make parts and sell them to a ship crafter when I gain VERY VERY little out of it.  I mean the crafter can make all of these things themselves and just take longer making the ships.  I know I used to do everything myself it would just take an average of 1-2 days longer than normal per ship.   And this is only logging in an hour a day to craft and harvest.  

If I were to craft just the parts and sell them on the market, I wouldnt make much profit because well... they can do it themselves.  So if I set the prices to high (say 50% mark up) they will just not bother, but if I set them to low (Sub 20% markup) I may as well not bother to do it.

Posted (edited)

On live server I have 20  someting? I haven't looked at it in a while. ;) Maybe I should do that....

And I think a limit on the top end for crafting parts might be a solution. But not getiting anything just makes it so I don't care to add to the stock of someone else. The building destruction and rebuilding and shortage of resource production will, I hope, fix itself when this all goes live. It's the incentive to participate in the team effort I don't see.

Edit I'm at 41 on the live server...

Edited by Challenge

maybe the crafting process should be like the fighting ... the more ships of a special kind you craft the better (faster, better armour, better sails) they should get ... ?

1 person likes this

I've seen and buy some materials more than 10x what they we're costing because I needed them NOW.

So it depend what you craft.

On 10.5.2017 at 8:55 PM, Challenge said:

Okay so I didn't turn in any of the redeemables except the gold. I wanted to see how the low end of the scale was going to work. I decided after looking around a bit to craft myself a Lynx. Very exciting moment.

First thing was to start collecting the resources so I went to the craft screen and worked my why through the mats to figure out what I would need. Foodstuffs for provisions -- fish and salt were easy enough but since there is no way other than fishing to get them... it could take a while. I got lucky and an AI smuggler from Spain had a hold full of salt. I farmed the oak and the fir and bought the iron ingots. On to Step two...

I had farms for the Oak, Fir Hemp and Sugar (not needed for the build, but I like Rum). Get the mats built as resources are available. Fairly painless and about the same as before. Except we are at such a low population on the test bed, the other resources weren't showing up on the market. Rip out the Fir farm and go for Lignum Vite and Stone (a stone mine is called a quarry by the way, fyi. Common translator error). Expensive drop of 20,000 and I'll need to go back to fir at some point because Tar is very useful stuff.

Bit by bit, piece by piece I get all the parts built. Then I need to destroy one of my buildings so I can make a Shipyard. (Another wasted 10,000 to add to the Fir farm's wasted 10,000.) Everything is now set. At this point I notice that I have earned 0 (that's zero) crafting experience. Then I craft the Lynx. Stats don't matter because I don't plan on it being around long.

It has been said by Admin the plan is for crafters not to do all of this by them selves, but to team up and make it a joint effort. Why would I do that.? If I'm not going to get any experience from building parts so someone can craft the ship -- what is the point of helping them. Yeah, I get I can sell them the resources or the materials, but unless I gain experience for my part in the team, money isn't all that good on an incentive by itself. I can get that easily enough. I want to improve my crzaft skills as people who actually make things do for their effort.

I'm hoping this isn't a finished aspect of the game as yet.

im one of the guys who doesnt give a shit about crafting XP so i will craft stuff and put it on the market or give it to clancrafters

and i guess there are more guys like me ;)