Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming patch

Hello Generals,

We would like to inform you about the content of the next game update that is currently under testing phase and is soon going to become available (Possibly within this week, it depends from the completion of translation to more languages).

New

• "Battle of Fort Stevens" that finishes Cold Harbor phase for Union campaign.
  • Final campaign phase for the Union, including the epic Battle of Richmond and two smaller battles.
  • Final campaign phase for the Confederates, featuring the epic Battle of Washington and two smaller battles.
  • New custom battle "Marye's Heights" featuring the most important phase of the Battle of Fredericksburg with expanded map and more tactical challenges.
  • New custom battle "Battle of Philippi" enhancing the fist small battle of the Union campaign and allowing to play it for both sides.
  • New custom battle "Potomac Fort" altering the fist small battle of the Confederate campaign into a larger and more difficult tactical experience.
  • Full translation to 5 more languages. The supported languages are: English, French, German, Chinese, Spanish, Russian.

AI

• AI has been further enhanced to pressure more on the objectives and cover all ground offensively or defensively where needed.
  • AI has been improved in its territorial awareness and protection of flanks.
  • AI uses artillery more effectively to attack or defend.

Fixes/Balances

• Fortification fire arc fixes, addressing several targeting problems.
  • Several text fixes. Preparation for fully localized content in many languages.
  • Fixed bug in historical battles that gave to the AI inferior weapons in average instead of using historical settings.
  • Fixed timer issues in Battle of Gettysburg 2nd Day that could help player steal victory, snapping objectives at the end of time.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Confederate infantry to inflict slightly less damage.
  • Balanced Overland Campaign battle rewards to give incentive for player to fight the smaller battles and attempt to grow his army.
  • Increased slightly 24pdr Howitzer ammo cost (as compensation of Howitzer's large lethality).
  • Increased slightly 20pdr Parrots accuracy.
  • Increased Corps max supply cost from 25000 to 35000 (it was a wide request).
  • Fixed an issue that caused AI campaign opponent strength to be either underpowered in some early battles or overpowered in many late battles.
  • Increased the availability of low cost musket rifles in late campaign for both sides, so player can have enough weapons for his army.
  • Fixed bug of spawned cavalry in Chickamauga North Campaign version.

Graphical Improvements

• Fixed some letters in the campaign map that were not showing up correctly.
  • Improved visualization of map edges, that now show more clearly the ground elevation.
  • Fixed some graphical distortions in map of Antietam.

Let us know if there is something else you want fixed and we will try to include it. Thanks!

• Like 9

Thanks a lot Nick.... this game is addictive. Just one question, when you say final phase for both the Union and Confederate, in terms of Civil War year, which Year you are referring to? And does include the Battle of Appomatox Court, which is where I believe Lee surrenders. Regardless, it is an awesome game!

4 minutes ago, i64man said:

Thanks a lot Nick.... this game is addictive. Just one question, when you say final phase for both the Union and Confederate, in terms of Civil War year, which Year you are referring to? And does include the Battle of Appomatox Court, which is where I believe Lee surrenders. Regardless, it is an awesome game!

It will be years 1864-1865. We don't include the Battle of Appomatox Courthouse but two speculative epic battles (Richmond, Washington).

Smaller battles are speculative situated in Atlanta, Petersburg (North Campaign) and Vicksburg, Nashville (South Campaign).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Smaller battles are speculative situated in Atlanta, Petersburg (North Campaign) and Vicksburg, Nashville (South Campaign)

Nick. Will the Nashville battle incorporate the Battle of Franklin, TN?

12 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

No, it covers the event after that, in a speculative assault via Hardin Pike, Nashville.

Thanks, Nick. I do hope that they include Franklin at some point. Hood's army was severely damaged during this 'Pickett's Charge of the West' assault on the breastworks and gin house around Carter farm. This battle was a pivotal lead up to the battle of Nashville a few days later.

Please fix the inverse artillery effectiveness bug where 12 cannon brigades inflict more damage than 24 cannon brigades over the same time interval. Adding more guns to an artillery brigade should increase its effectiveness, not decrease it :) This issue has been documented on a couple of threads now.

Thanks!

• Like 3

Just a "simple" request: could you please reconsider the balancing effects of having elite units with elite weapons (above all skirmishers)? Don't know if this has been addressed already, but a new player would, without doubt, try to create THE cool elite brigade. Elite weapons are scarce, which is excellent, but if that new cool elite skirmisher brigade has to face 3 enemy brigades with even better weapons next battle, the new player would not experience the rightful reward. Because there is none..

• Like 3

One thing I would like very much is to know a fortification's arc of fire (and also where it can be flanked) *before* I put my troops inside. 

Somewhat related, I notice that in restarting a saved game, brigades inside a fortification pop out, and often the AI doesn't even put them back inside. A nice exploit, but maybe not for the best?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Related to the pop out issue on saves I think at times there is an issue when major battles jump back and forth from one event to another.  Hold commands and some move commands that were underway seem to go wonky at times.

• Like 1

Can you fix the bug where if a division commander is wounded or killed and you restart the battle the command and efficiency still reflects their wounding/death. If you remove them from their slot it will put them in the wounded pool if wounded and will allow you to reassign them if killed, though the penalty follows them. 

Pardon, sir! Will the speculative battles also be added to the free-play Historical Battles? I mean, will it be possible to just play the battles separate from the campaign the same way we do with historical battles?

Thank you, sir! I really appreciate everything you've done, this is easily my favorite game of all time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

Pardon, sir! Will the speculative battles also be added to the free-play Historical Battles? I mean, will it be possible to just play the battles separate from the campaign the same way we do with historical battles?

Thank you, sir! I really appreciate everything you've done, this is easily my favorite game of all time.

this would be nice.... there are some battles I would love to play over and over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

Not right off the bat, no. Perhaps is the answer I remember.

How about renaming the divisions like you can to corps and brigades? Any word on the sticky melee or is that just something we'll have to live with? Since this we'll be the final phase of adding battles, once you complete all the campaign will there be a total casualty screen like there used to be way back in the day before battles first starting being added?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The answer is actually yes, later several of these battles will become available as custom battles. The patch and the release will provide 5 custom battles, but we will add as many as possible and those that people would like most.

Awesome! Thanks for answering so quickly!

Greeting Sir Nick.

How about the ability to merge brigades in the Camp screen and make it permanent?   I think it would help those players who can't bring the whole force in, as well as those who can't muster sufficient numbers due to attrition or mishandled resources. 

• Like 1

I really enjoy this game, however there are a few issues I would like to see changed.

It would be great if you could break your artillery brigades into battery sized units. 4 to 6 guns per battery depending on brigade size. I find having to concentrate my artillery in one large unit, waters down the effectiveness. When defending I would like to spread my batteries out among the line instead of just one or two large emplacements.

I wish that the fixed strength option was available at the mid level and not just the easy level. I would like to play the game against the historical strength of the enemy and not be overwhelmed by endless enemy numbers.

Officers at division level don't seem to have any effect at all. Maybe they should be on screen like the Corp commander.

Matt P.

• Like 8