9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

New thread in suggestions

Edited by Duncan McFail

Not sure why this was moved here. The NA 2 title was a joke. I would appreciate it if you put it back in suggestions. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Duncan McFail said:

and I'd hate to go through another wipe.

I've got news for you: This game is in alpha. There will be more wipes.

Hopefully future wipes won't be announced so much prior to implementation.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 5/5/2017 at 0:34 PM, Anolytic said:

I've got news for you: This game is in alpha. There will be more wipes.

Hopefully future wipes won't be announced so much prior to implementation.

Well, I've got some news as well.

A lot of people paid in advance for the game and had already been waiting some years (testing) for the game to be released. If devs waste some more time in changing things forth and back (in particular wiping assests too many times) there is the actual risk that the game will abort before the launch (or will have not enough players after launch).

Time may be infinite, but patience of people is not.

Edited by victor
2 people like this

27 minutes ago, victor said:

A lot of people paid in advance for the game and had already been waiting some years (testing) for the game to be released. If devs waste some more time in changing things forth and back (in particular wiping assests too many times) there is the actual risk that the game will abort before the launch (or will have not enough players after launch).

The development time of this game is not extraordinary in any way. The only difference may be that we as players/testers have been allowed to take part in more of the journey towards a finished product. 

A lot of people will grow tired of sticking around through development, in most cases because they didn't fully realize the implications of playing a game in Alpha, but others because they paid their dues/put in their time and move on from the game. Many of those people will come back when the game is announced as released, whenever that may be. Some won't. But at release the game will also appeal to all those players who both realize that early access alpha is not for them, and therefore don't buy/play an early access game. In other words the market potential of this game will likely be completely different after release than what it is now. 

We should not judge the game's prospects post-release based on any current population data. All that we should be concerned about is its content, balance and mechanics. Player numbers right now are affected heavily by factors specific to its early access status. Like wipes, development progress, mechanics experiments, lack of UI, lack of tutorial and so on and so forth. After release, all we have to worry about are the remaining factors, as mentioned above. For my part, content is the thing I am the most concerned about and attentive to, as it connects closely with player retention. But I am also hopeful that by the time of release we will have sufficient content. 

Posted (edited)

Yep, but you must admit that waiting too long in releasing a game is a problem itself

Edited by victor

On 06/05/2017 at 4:44 PM, victor said:

Yep, but you must admit that waiting too long in releasing a game is a problem itself

Not really. As long as they are working on it they should finish it before they release it. Once it has been released it will be more difficult to add more content if needed, and it will be too late to correct some mistakes.

Unless you're talking a Duke Nukem timeline only good things can come from waiting to release a finished product. The real problem nowadays is too many games rush to release and are served to gamers in a buggy, unfinished state.

On May 6, 2017 at 6:36 AM, victor said:

Victor,

I suspect that this may be your opinion.  Or is this based on some past occurrences of games failing because the development exceeded a specifc time?   If it is your opinion, can we consider you an expert?  I so why?

I don't know you but if I were to make a wild uninformed guess I might suggest that you are just impatient for the game to be finished.

My humble opinion (and I am NOT an expert) is that there is a huge number of people that will play the game when it is completed.  Wipes and years more development will have very ltttle effect on the final popularity.  We will play because gameplay is enjoyable and the content is interesting.

The big risk from an extended delay is that someone else may create an age of sail game before NA is completed.   Or if the delay stetches into decades then then basic game engine may be antiquated .  Technology may provide much more immersive gaming experiences.  

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Victor,

I suspect that this may be your opinion.  Or is this based on some past occurrences of games failing because the development exceeded a specifc time?   If it is your opinion, can we consider you an expert?  I so why?

I don't know you but if I were to make a wild uninformed guess I might suggest that you are just impatient for the game to be finished.

My humble opinion (and I am NOT an expert) is that there is a huge number of people that will play the game when it is completed.  Wipes and years more development will have very ltttle effect on the final popularity.  We will play because gameplay is enjoyable and the content is interesting.

The big risk from an extended delay is that someone else may create an age of sail game before NA is completed.   Or if the delay stetches into decades then then basic game engine may be antiquated .  Technology may provide much more immersive gaming experiences.  

Much simpler that that, my friend.

I'm not an expert at all.

My opinion is grounded on the progressive but continous erosion of the players' number since I have been playing NA (which BTW is confirmed by the statistic on Steam about NA playerbase). It's not just last month (since Devs announced the patch) it's the trend of last year that is the actual concern. 

Once bitten, twice shy ... i guess it works also for players.

Edited by victor