Game-Labs Forum

Joseph "Blaine" vs "Banks"

AngryPanCake

Hello there,

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series and in book 13 (Thirteen Gun Salute) there is mention of a certain Sir Joseph Banks!

I am familiar with Sir Joseph Blaine the naval intelligence chief, Maturin's friend. But this Bank who just showed up in that book, I have no idea of the connection with Maturin.

Any idea?

On 5/3/2017 at 7:43 PM, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

Joseph banks is the real world inspiration for jospeh blaine.

Maybe your edition has simply overlooked this error and it is corrected in subsequent editions.

I think you are right, Banks was only mentioned in the first couple chapters in that book, then went back to Blaine.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:55 PM, Sir Joseph Blaine said:

I know nothing....  allow me to show you a most prodigious beetle collection!

I'm only interested in prodigious boobies collections...

No, not those...

these:

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From what I recall, Banks gets a few mentions throughout the series in his own right. Sir Joseph Banks partially financed Cook's first expedition (1768-1771) and sailed with him as a naturalist. He was president of the Royal Society from 1778 till his death in 1820 and was one of the leading scientists of the age.

Some aspects of Blaine are based on Banks, but not his intelligence work, I think, and there is no contradiction in the fictional Blaine appearing alongside the historical Banks.