Game-Labs Forum

Personal officer growth

william1993

How does your personal officer grow? I mean I know after big battles he may get upgrades.  But can I make him grow faster? I don't want to put him with a brigade because he might get shot in the face.  But if I run him behind the infantry as they are engaged then can he give them a boost and make them kill more and grow faster or something?

Good question, and I'm hoping that some of the fine people here can offer some suggestions, because I'd like to know as well. I tried a couple of times to make him a division or even brigade commander, but RNGesus hates me as much in this game as in any other so he always ends up getting a minie ball right in the kisser in the first battle after I put him out there. And sometimes it just feels silly to me to keep my Brigadier (Or Major) General self in charge of a Corps when I have a perfectly good Lt. General sitting around cuddling a division.

Mostly, though, it's the role playing aspect of it. I like to have my own personal avatar I can follow through the war and I really, really don't like it when he dies because, well, I'm not "in the war" anymore.

Side note or suggestion: Would it be possible to make the player commander "immortal" in the sense that he can still get wounded and be out of it until he recovers (otherwise it would be silly to have a commander that can never be kicked out and cause his units to suffer), but he can't perma-die?

5 hours ago, MishaTX said:

Good question, and I'm hoping that some of the fine people here can offer some suggestions, because I'd like to know as well. I tried a couple of times to make him a division or even brigade commander, but RNGesus hates me as much in this game as in any other so he always ends up getting a minie ball right in the kisser in the first battle after I put him out there. And sometimes it just feels silly to me to keep my Brigadier (Or Major) General self in charge of a Corps when I have a perfectly good Lt. General sitting around cuddling a division.

Mostly, though, it's the role playing aspect of it. I like to have my own personal avatar I can follow through the war and I really, really don't like it when he dies because, well, I'm not "in the war" anymore.

Side note or suggestion: Would it be possible to make the player commander "immortal" in the sense that he can still get wounded and be out of it until he recovers (otherwise it would be silly to have a commander that can never be kicked out and cause his units to suffer), but he can't perma-die?

What bugs me is even though he's in charge of a Corps he seems to gain xp slower than others.  I got guys out ranking mine half the time over and over.

• Like 1

I've never actually tested it, but my feeling is that the Corps commander units gain a certain amount of XP from being present on the battlefield, and more from giving their bonuses to engaged units inside their command radius. It's always seemed to me that the Corps commanders leveled faster if they were helping with a "hot" battle than if they just sit alone in the back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aetius said:

I've never actually tested it, but my feeling is that the Corps commander units gain a certain amount of XP from being present on the battlefield, and more from giving their bonuses to engaged units inside their command radius. It's always seemed to me that the Corps commanders leveled faster if they were helping with a "hot" battle than if they just sit alone in the back.

This is my impression also.  I use my character as the Corps commander for all minor battles as well in order to maximize his experience gain.

• Like 1

My dream is to merge the careers and perks points. So the macro benefits derived from Careers Tab and the on-field benefits from the corps commander perks would be combined. There would be a tradeoff and you'd have to decide if you wanted a general that was good economically or one that was better in battle. Of course later in the war, battle experience would allow you to morph guys however you please. 

There would also be a leader of your army where their traits would be amplified. So selecting this general would be very important. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wright29 said:

My dream is to merge the careers and perks points. So the macro benefits derived from Careers Tab and the on-field benefits from the corps commander perks would be combined. There would be a tradeoff and you'd have to decide if you wanted a general that was good economically or one that was better in battle. Of course later in the war, battle experience would allow you to morph guys however you please. 

There would also be a leader of your army where their traits would be amplified. So selecting this general would be very important. 

Seriously. 

The character system does that now. Granted, you offer a more sophisticated version. But elegant simplicity has its perks. And he wants to minimize touching the Camp code. So . . .put it in the pile of Great Ideas for next time.