Game-Labs Forum

"REAL" TRADE BETWEEN PLAYERS

32 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Nobody would trade Iron for Pudding i suppose.

I guess you would like to trade Iron for Carriages or Silver or Woods. Thats the whole point.

I suppose that depends on how badly you want pudding. :rolleyes:

His point was we could call the medium of exchange whatever you want.

@Macjimm The point of using money is so that we don't have to pull wagons full of stuff around to go shopping -- it's a question of convenience. Since we are traveling around with a hold full of stuff anyway, what reason is there not to do goods/goods trading? Putting up buy/sell offers on the shop should always be for cash, but if we meet somewhere we should be able to direct trade for goods. There is a lot more of that happening irl today than you may think.

@victor If they go ahead and remove global chat we would not be able to direct trade with someone from another nation whether we are in a Free Port or not.

Edited by Challenge
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Challenge said:

I suppose that depends on how badly you want pudding. :rolleyes:

His point was we could call the medium of exchange whatever you want.

@Macjimm The point of using money is so that we don't have to pull wagons full of stuff around to go shopping -- it's a question of convenience. Since we are traveling around with a hold full of stuff anyway, what reason is there not to do goods/goods trading? Putting up buy/sell offers on the shop should always be for cash, but if we meet somewhere we should be able to direct trade for goods. There is a lot more of that happening irl today than you may think.

@victor If they go ahead and remove global chat we would be able to direct trade with someone from another nation whether we are in a Free Port or not.

Halleluja.

Explained :)

25 minutes ago, Challenge said:

@victor If they go ahead and remove global chat we would not be able to direct trade with someone from another nation whether we are in a Free Port or not.

Uhm ... in port (also free ports) there still is the trade channel.

Or ... maybe they can change "global" into "global trade" channel and then ban from the channel whoever uses it for purposes different from trading, selling & purchasing.

Edited by victor

But there isn't any way to know when someone from another nation is in port, nor to arrange a meeting. Makes the trade channel a bit worthless unless you sit in the harbor, select on the way in and send a PM.

"Hey sailor, what some ore?" I was going to say wood, but....

Edited by Challenge

1 hour ago, victor said:

Uhm ... in port (also free ports) there still is the trade channel.

Or ... maybe they can change "global" into "global trade" channel and then ban from the channel whoever uses it for purposes different from trading, selling & purchasing.

You need a BOARD like DELIVERY MISSIONS where you can see who offers what where and whats he demanding. ALL OVER THE MAP.

Or would you like to sit in Free Port whole day and wait for someone to deliver you something you might need?

33 minutes ago, Fenris said:

You need a BOARD like DELIVERY MISSIONS where you can see who offers what where and whats he demanding. ALL OVER THE MAP.

Or would you like to sit in Free Port whole day and wait for someone to deliver you something you might need?

Nope, but I would not mind if traders (BTW I am one of them) shall have to move from zone to zone in order to be able to look - in a sort of "local board" - which business opportunities actually are up in the nearby zones. All over the map, maybe is a little too easy.

Edited by victor

That would be a good compromise between nothing and omniscient, victor. There are a few things that would make trading easier: a list like you suggested, or at least list of who is in port (irl I could scan the harbor and read ship names).

4 hours ago, Challenge said:

. Since we are traveling around with a hold full of stuff anyway, what reason is there not to do goods/goods trading? Putting up buy/sell offers on the shop should always be for cash, but if we meet somewhere we should be able to direct trade for goods. There is a lot more of that happening irl today than you may think.

My point is that we can trade good for goods at a meeting now.  We just have to use 1 gold to do so.   I can't see what I'm missing here.

6 hours ago, victor said:

Nope, but I would not mind if traders (BTW I am one of them) shall have to move from zone to zone in order to be able to look - in a sort of "local board" - which business opportunities actually are up in the nearby zones. All over the map, maybe is a little too easy.

Lol......

Tired of this.....

Whats "easy" if i see who offers what at the other side of map? Would you sail to Savannah from Gustavia if someone offers 1000 Live Oak and demands 500 Silver for it???

For example?

7 hours ago, Challenge said:

You are missing that once communications with people who have access to resources you do not (other nations) we will not be able to do this.

Thanks for trying to explain this.   I'm trying, but do not understand what you mean.

Is this a communications issue?  The removal of global chat?  

I thought the OP infered that players will not be able to trade goods for goods.   I didn't understand that either because we can currently trade goods for goods with the token single gold mechanic.  I assume we will alway be able to.

Anyway,  thanks for the effort to express the issue.  Could be beyond me. :)

Very good point. I believe Developers need to set up a more Advanced market and only after add features like : players to player OS trade, player to NPC OS trade. 

Most importantly they need to introduce Reputation system to the game. If player rep is good with another Nation they can use their market access and Trade. 

Also, they need to introduce product exchange and NPC Orders. ex. Craft 1000 oak planks and exchange them for 100 (x material). or NPC puts up orders of let's say 5000 ingots, 2000 oak planks, 500 Gold ingots and will pay $$ instantly when orders are filled and delivered to set port. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

Allowing players to share information (port tavern bulletin boards) and player created complex trade contracts would be tremendously helpful in the creation of player driven content. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Allowing players to share information (port tavern bulletin boards) and player created complex trade contracts would be tremendously helpful in the creation of player driven content. 

IMHO players can share information using Google Docs.

And not need to ask devs to do that :)

Edited by qw569

52 minutes ago, qw569 said:

IMHO players can share information using Google Docs.

And not need to ask devs to do that :)

Google Docs?

For being able to trade in game with every single possible good? Buying or selling.

And you say Devs are not needed for this?

Lol.

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

Google Docs?

For being able to trade in game with every single possible good? Buying or selling.

And you say Devs are not needed for this?

Lol.

Maybe my English is too bad, and you do not understand me.

I said only about sharing information, who where and what wants to buy or sell.

I believe that google docs can be used for this task, as in this example.

56 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Maybe my English is too bad, and you do not understand me.

I said only about sharing information, who where and what wants to buy or sell.

I believe that google docs can be used for this task, as in this example.

I understood you mate.

But we dont need google docs for something that SHOULD be available in game.

Captains and their officers kept books and ledgers with a lot of information, including "word of the street" information. Guess google docs or a simple pen and paper notepad are assumed ? ( no gps air combat sim knee pads ftw ! )