Game-Labs Forum

The Beginning of Naval Action

http://www.navalaction.com/blog/

have we forgotten? Or what is the stage of development with these ideas? 

Specifically the 

"EXPLORATION GAMEPLAY- September 15, 2014" part

I personally loved them when i first started and couldnt wait to try them when I saw these announcements, I havent heard much on these since, and was just suggesting them in case they had been forgotten in this immense project, which is understandable. 

Edited by OneEyedSnake
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

I personally loved them when i first started and couldnt wait to try them when I saw these announcements, I havent heard much on these since, and was just suggesting them in case they had been forgotten in this immense project, which is understandable. 

The first step was fishing. We have historical fish types that spawn in the places where they would normally live in the caribbean. There are spawn zones, density etc. But unfortunately its not working. It is impossible to design great exploration systems in MMO environment without a randomized world. Exploration described in a blog was a great idea for a single player game where the world revolves around you. We did not understand it then. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, admin said:

The first step was fishing. We have historical fish types that spawn in the places where they would normally live in the caribbean. There are spawn zones, density etc. But unfortunately its not working. It is impossible to design great exploration systems in MMO environment without a randomized world. Exploration described in a blog was a great idea for a single player game where the world revolves around you. We did not understand it then. 

What about the idea of having random generated islands in the pacific part of the map? I mean the servers go down every once in a while for maintenance which gives the oppurtunity of "refreshing" the islands. Can't it be combined somehow?

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 2

It might be possible to do somewhat exploration if u implement something like the journey map from minecraft modded, everything is blacked out on the map unless u explore it

it would give the added feel of not knowing where u really are but still with the coordinates know where u are exactly so u can inform friends where u are

2424d5abb40b492d8184b5ec36229452.png

and this together with the above suggestion of adding steam achievements would give another dimension to the game for those interested in getting all the achievements in a game possible

• Like 2

9 hours ago, admin said:

You are going to loose a big chunk of PvE players. I understand you are building 90% pvp game, but.. don't tell me you can't code a DLC explorers pack down the road. You simply saying no thanks to 1000s of possible customers who only look for such content. You have to realize that right now you have no competition in this field and I would use this opportunity to the fullest. 

PvP only environment is like a heart without oxygen. It will beat for a while, but then it will stop. What you are saying is you are closing oxygen supply to your game for good. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

You are going to loose a big chunk of PvE players. I understand you are building 90% pvp game, but.. don't tell me you can't code a DLC explorers pack down the road. You simply saying no thanks to 1000s of possible customers who only look for such content. You have to realize that right now you have no competition in this field and I would use this opportunity to the fullest. 

PvP only environment is like a heart without oxygen. It will beat for a while, but then it will stop. What you are saying is you are closing oxygen supply to your game for good. 

What? 
For like half a year or so NA has stepped away from being a entirely PvP focused game. More and more focus is being put on crafting and trading. Being someone who only does PvP (And nothing else) has become a very tough life :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Being someone who only does PvP (And nothing else) has become a very tough life :)

LoL, exactly. This is how NA looks today. The path they pick will result in their success. Question is do they know which one it is?

1st Path is quick Death

2nd Path is slow Death

3rd Path is long and harsh , but successful.

For example, I advertised a game. I managed to gather 1000S of fans, took their money and then I said sorry, but I had no idea what I was saying (We did not understand it then). Oh btw, it's too late to get your refund, but you can leave if you want. This is why this game suffered so much in these past few months. All we got left is hardcore pvp players who want a small sandbox for pvp, leaving your 2 year work in the garbage bin. Why am I saying garbage bin? the reason behind it is no one will buy NA2 Single Player. They will quickly recognize it. 

In the end, it all started really great and look where we are today. Game split into 2 categories. Closed room pvp and Empty oceans without real content for those who love PvE. Don't take me wrong, I love PvP and I have spend years in it, but I witnessed horrible results when companies focus only on one type of players. Remember PvE base is the main foundation in your game. They will be the biggest % of players who will buy paid content. They will slowly supply pvp population as they transition over time. They will create targets and traffic, they will make your Econ* successful. All these key elements required to run the true MMO. 

sunsets-clouds-prairie-fork-split-sunset

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 2

A long time ago Admin stated that you would be able to play without doing trading, crafting or PvE. That someone like myself who is interested only in the PvP, would have a place in NA. 
Now, it doesn't seem like it. 
I'm not saying it wont be like that later on, i really hope we will go back to that. But as of right now, it doesn't look like an option which bums me out. 

However, even if they go back on some of the promises and statements that made me buy NA, i still got way more than my moneys worth. 

17 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

A long time ago Admin stated that you would be able to play without doing trading, crafting or PvE. That someone like myself who is interested only in the PvP, would have a place in NA. 
Now, it doesn't seem like it. 

i've been doing casual-pvp-only on testbed just fine

15 hours ago, admin said:

Excellent point, and thank you for the clarification and update! 

17 hours ago, SoulPYTHON said:

It might be possible to do somewhat exploration if u implement something like the journey map from minecraft modded, everything is blacked out on the map unless u explore it

it would give the added feel of not knowing where u really are but still with the coordinates know where u are exactly so u can inform friends where u are

2424d5abb40b492d8184b5ec36229452.png

and this together with the above suggestion of adding steam achievements would give another dimension to the game for those interested in getting all the achievements in a game possible

I always thought a fog of war map would be kinda cool for those that want to explore and prob just about any one.  You can buy charts off other players to unlock other section if you want, but the cheapest way to know what the map shows is just to explore it your self.  My main char has been to every port on the map once.   I still prob would have a few spots not passed on the map if there was a fog of war of where I been.

I loved it back when we had to explore a port to find out the production and refits until they told every one what was in every port and what regions did what. I had a good number of them explored and the pirate ones I brought goods to build trader lynx to figure out the refit for that zone in the first day of every pirate owned region.  Could of had achievements tied to things like this.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

What? 
For like half a year or so NA has stepped away from being a entirely PvP focused game. More and more focus is being put on crafting and trading. Being someone who only does PvP (And nothing else) has become a very tough life :)

You can capture everything + everyone must be sailing in the open world, with no shortcuts. Pure pvp lifestyle is more viable than before.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, admin said:

You can capture everything + everyone must be sailing in the open world, with no shortcuts. Pure pvp lifestyle is more viable than before.

I hope it'll work out like that. No doubt about it! :)

But what will motivate people to PvP? 

Demotivating stuff: 
- High Risk, Mediocre Reward. (PvE is Very Low Risk, Low Reward imo.) 
- 1 Durability = Lose 1 time and you need a new ship.

Motivating stuff: 
- PvP is more fun and challenging than PvE. 
- Your playing against real players! 

For me personally, PvP is a thousand times more fun than PvE. But we already know that a ton of people shy away from good PvP and only fights real players if they have, at the very least, 2-1 Odds (2 Trincs vs 1 Trinc).