Game-Labs Forum

Combat that leads to a boarding action...

On the test server, I noticed that If we get into a boarding action (By choice or unwillingly) we get NO REWARD despite all the cannon fire exchanged.

Historical Context:

• The nations of the world considered it preferable, by far, to capture an enemy ship. It was taken as a high achievement of skill and courage.

The capture of vessels was preferable, and well rewarded, because the ship could be refit for use ti strengthen the navy, or striped for vital materials, to save cost on other ships. Why then do we receive "No Reward" for capturing a vessel in combat? It makes no sense to only reward potions etc for blasting a ship to match sticks.

Even the crews got a share of the Prize money for capturing. We should receive the mission and combat rewards for defeating enemy ships, no matter how that victory is achieved. 

Pyrate Context; Post script.
When prize money was rewarded the vaunted Royal Navy officers often screwed the men out of their share of $… Which is just ONE of the reasons so many crews mutinied and turned pyrate! But I digress...

Edited by Pagan Pete
  • Like 6

Makes no historical sense, and it certainly isn't fun.

If there was ever a moral panic about people exploiting their way out of this game (now very fast XP grind), then I missed it.

But either way there is no reason to deny XP for capturing AI. We don't get any satisfaction from stealing a grey ship from a computer, so there needs to be some source of endorphins there.

For PvP captures we should be able to earn XP and gold rewards with the Send to Admiralty button.

5 hours ago, maturin said:

But either way there is no reason to deny XP for capturing AI. We don't get any satisfaction from stealing a grey ship from a computer, so there needs to be some source of endorphins there.

We have fleets that many players use and love 
fleets now are useful because captured vessels have to be transported back to safe place (friendly port teleport is going away soon)

If capture from npc awards kills then players can use their fleets for easy farming of rewards. We already encountered it before with reinforcement supports from ports - if you give the player the option to command bots - they give them stop command and farm free xp and money. Removing xp and money for capture is currently the only way to provide interesting reward systems with some depth. 

I understand the reward system, and even tho it is unrealistic, it can be that no can do :(

But about boarding...

Boarding is the weakest part of Naval Action, by far so.  I did see those images about new boarding, but it is hard to believe that it will be as good as "cannon combat".

Still, emphasis has been moved towards boarding, it seems to get even more important than before.  So we are basically moving emphasis from gold to bronze.  I understand at least some reasons why you are doing this, but still, I would not do this personally.  Emphasis should be strongly build around what is golden in Naval Action.

edit.

Basically everything is so expensive, that you want to board.

Rewards removed from damage and sinking, are those competitive?

Maybe will be more realistic, as we have to board, but unfortunately we definitely go from awesome to bad.  Bad decision if asked from me.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ