Game-Labs Forum

Why people call Naval Action a Scam?

Ned Low

One of many examples from Steam Reviews:

New customer with 19 hours, probably got a refund. 

This game really need to be worked on by its developers, for now it's more of a scam than an actual game.

What in your opinion makes people write these reviews? 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/negativereviews/?#scrollTop=200

Edited by Ned Low

10 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

New customer with 19 hours, probably got a refund. 

\

You cant get a refund after 2 hours. Link the review - the street community will decide if author is right by flagging to steam or liking it. 

• Like 2

I asked one guy with less than 20 mins why he gave it a bad review and he said, "Well my friend said this and I saw this on the furoms."  So you never even got out of the docs and played anything?   Than he goes to say the videos and screen shots are a lie for what was in game.  Those screen shots are old and the videos are from when the game was first released on EA and have nothing to some one running a top end machine.  Asked him what he was running and he was running a 650 so just the min to run game.  yah your videos are going to be worse than some one prob running a top end video card screen capping.  I really think some of them just right bad reviews cause they didn't do there research and though this was another World of Tanks/Warship type games.  That or they started to play and it was to hard for them to get out of the dock and go into the OW and actually hunt down AI or something.

I also notice alot of those guys with short time in games if you look at the rest of there games they have hardly any hours in any other games and if they do it's like they speed run it once to beat the game and didn't even play all the content.

• Like 6

People who write those reviews kind of remind me of spoiled bratty children. If the game isn't exactly what they want it to be and they don't get the ships they want right away they go to steam reviews and leave a bull **** review filled with lies to take their anger out. Most of the time a lot of them don't read the steam store page to see what the game actually is or have a pc that can even run the game.  It's painful to read some of these reviews and see the way some people act. -_-

• Like 10

Always a person trying to create a cause, although be it a lost one. People have a right to an opinion I wish they would take the time to look into something rather than firing off comments like this. This game is a triumph for those whom like sailing ship combat (and understand it) for those who prefer Lego Man or arcade games don't comment on a forum meant for constructive help.

Edited by Buba Smith

Just flag the ones that are outright lies or provide no information at all.

And this is for all games. I do prospect a lot new products and the amount of junk I have to read before I find something worth reading is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

You cant get a refund after 2 hours. Link the review - the street community will decide if author is right by flagging to steam or liking it. 

yes you can. i have gotten one for over 40 hours, justification was late game play was a complete lie and it took me 40 hours to get there. also, steam policy is before 7 hours, no questions asked. 

2 hours ago, admin said:

Probably not a good way to get new players. If a new player comes to the forums as see one of the top topics is the admin calling for street justice on a review, well it just don't look good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daguse said:

Probably not a good way to get new players. If a new player comes to the forums as see one of the top topics is the admin calling for street justice on a review, well it just don't look good. 

When I read reviews of anything (hotel, business, a naval game etc.)  I see them as people's opinions.  It is often fairly easy to determine if the justification for a poor review is worth considering as a valid reason to avoid the product.

When I see unfettered negative responses it adds general credibility to the review site.  Sometimes I see negative reviews as spoiled consumers that expect too much.   Other times I just consider that people just  have varied opinions.

If I see the host of the product fully supporting patrons, especially if the host offers refunds that are beyond the advertized policy I see the host in a favorable lght.  Makes me feel secure in buying in and supporting the company.  I would be more apt to defend a  company that provides great support.

It seems unfair to claim that Naval Action is a scam.   But when people express themselves it is most often just heard as someone  describing their feelings.  This product will be received primarily on it's content and quality.   The reviews won't have as much of an effect on the final success or failure.

• Like 1

I imagine if I was a new player coming into the game today I would mostly just be baffled at the empty world (and awful port UI). My review would probably be "game is dead".

As it stands, I am a forum whore so of course I know what's really going on and why population is all but dead but I also know there are big guilds lined up to play the game again, maybe after this test/reset but definitely on release.

This is, maybe unfortunately, a multi-player game that would only get me (and I suspect most people) only so far without any other people to talk to or play with. And I think Admin knows this -- the sooner we get this game to a release state, the better. Sink or swim, it can't be an early access title under threat of impending reset forever.

Barely related question:

Is there also going to be an asset reset for release day? I have been assuming "yes". That is, we are going to reset for this next test and then, if all goes well, we will reset again and release?

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

Well there's 3 kinds of reviews that doesn't recommend this game.

1) A Honest review that points out actual problems or certain things that the buyer doesn't like. 

2) Buyers who thought the game was 100% finished because they didn't read the steam store page that states the game is in early access or have no clue what early access is.

3) Buyers who leave a dishonest review that is filled with lies and false accusations. 

It seems a lot of the negative reviews are upset Naval Action has no tutorial for beginners and has a steep learning curve. 

Also a good chunk of the negative reviews are #2 and #3. 

Edited by Sureshot
  • Like 2

Let's be honest the last month or so probably are not giving the best impression to anyone new to the game. A lot of people are taking a break, hopefully they come back, but a new player might not realize this. It might have been better to not even offer it for sale till after the wipe....don't know if that's even a possibility though. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, admin said:

You cant get a refund after 2 hours.

I fear that is also part of the answer to the question of the OP.

Put yourself in the shoes of the average newbie that enters NA now:

1) buy the game,

2) find no tutorial at all,

3) almost desert server so it's much more difficult to get help from the community now than it used to be before,

4) first mission: probably sunk,

5) second mission: sunk again

6) no evident alternatives to missions

... ask for a refund only for becoming aware that after two hour you cannot get your money back.

... ragequit and write a review calling for scam (even if technically speaking it is not a scam).

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Daguse said:

The community knows if the game is a scam or not. If the community wants to grow in size they will act on the reviews that misrepresent the product - for example calling the game a scam (attempt to take money and run) - because those reviews limit the community growth.

These people writing "reviews" in one sentence, jeez. Doesn't even know what the actual meaning of a scam is.

To be fair, the steam review system is just plain bad, it should have a score system. With a big list of say 10 features and you score them from 1 to 10. Gameplay, Sound, graphics, community, development, amount of bugs, performance, etc. not just "Postive" and "Negative".

Thats like saying the game is either Realy good or Realy bad.

When you go out to eat food, and its not realy what you imagined it to be but its still prety acceptable, you will be more likely to not recommend it to friends.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

Let's be honest the last month or so probably are not giving the best impression to anyone new to the game. A lot of people are taking a break, hopefully they come back, but a new player might not realize this. It might have been better to not even offer it for sale till after the wipe....don't know if that's even a possibility though. 

agree.during the last couple of weeks i met some newbies in the game,who were really disapointed about the amount of players and a "dead" live server.my clan and me picked up as much as possible,explained the situation and equipped these guys with ships,mats,upgrades to give them some motivation to level up until the wipe.but this is just a drop in the ocean and you can´t expect  new players to read all these forums threads to know whats going on at the moment.sorry to say,but i would have given a bad review as well without all these informations.perhaps a bit of discount during this difficult phase of the game would have been a good idea...

4 hours ago, admin said:

The community knows if the game is a scam or not. If the community wants to grow in size they will act on the reviews that misrepresent the product - for example calling the game a scam (attempt to take money and run) - because those reviews limit the community growth.

@admin I agree with you. I just feel that having the dev team involved in it can leave a bad taste in peoples mouth. The best thing you (the dev team) can do to address the issues is to continue work on improving the game. Remember a lot of reviews call you out by name for being aggressive toward players. Don't give them fuel for the fire. 

It may be a US thing, but when I see things like this on reviews, I tend to trust the reviewer more. Why would the developer need to call out for community justice on a bad review if they have a solid game? 

• Like 2

ec8oirc.jpg

Can someone explain what are these 828 reviews doing here? They look suspicious. 

We have 3.278 Total, where 828 were give away copies? 

...or from inappropriate souses such as copies given in exchange for reviews. <-- Steam pretty much points finger at you guys suggesting your customers you might cheat? I think this is the Origin of all stories where players blame Devs for Free Copies=Good Reviews. Am I wrong?

Edited by Ned Low

13 hours ago, The Spud said:

These people writing "reviews" in one sentence, jeez. Doesn't even know what the actual meaning of a scam is.

To be fair, the steam review system is just plain bad, it should have a score system. With a big list of say 10 features and you score them from 1 to 10. Gameplay, Sound, graphics, community, development, amount of bugs, performance, etc. not just "Postive" and "Negative".

Thats like saying the game is either Realy good or Realy bad.

When you go out to eat food, and its not realy what you imagined it to be but its still prety acceptable, you will be more likely to not recommend it to friends.

There is actually a rework of the review system and the curator system in teh works at steam right now. Should come out this or next year already.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ned Low said:

ec8oirc.jpg

Can someone explain what are these 828 reviews doing here? They look suspicious. 

We have 3.278 Total, where 828 were give away copies? 

...or from inappropriate souses such as copies given in exchange for reviews. <-- Steam pretty much points finger at you guys suggesting your customers you might cheat? I think this is the Origin of all stories where players blame Devs for Free Copies=Good Reviews. Am I wrong?

Steam only counts copies sold through Steam in the reviews. All keys sold OUTSIDE of steam are not counted as reviews and are placed in other category. This includes pre-orders through paypal, purchases through humble bundles, or purchases in retail (when developers sell steam keys in boxes through retail instead of the disk) or Kickstarter keys. If you key did not sell through steam (steam did not make money on it) it is not counted in the reviews. NA have sold 11000 pre-orders all those copies were received outside of steam.

• Like 2

Given spread across a month was like 18k unique ID from the nations population breakdown posted a while ago i'd say they are around now and then. Once or twice a week, others maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

I'd bet the average age of NA player is on the late 20's, early 30's, ( a fair margin of old farts as well ! ) so a schedule for hobbies alongside family, work, bills, social and all the rest away from the computer becomes full pretty fast :) 

On 27/4/2017 at 3:14 AM, Sureshot said:

It seems a lot of the negative reviews are upset Naval Action has no tutorial for beginners and has a steep learning curve. 

that's a no sense, in my opinion, there are a lot of video games that didn't have a tutorial (playerunknown's battlegrounds) or a hard learning curve (EU4)