Game-Labs Forum

Exploration

I know you guys are busy, but could you possibly in future add 'Explore' feature. This feature was promised before, but never was introduced and forgotten. 

This is how it would work. 

1.You park your ship next to any land mass. (Drop Sails to Activate the Button).

2. Select how many Crew you want to send. ex. The more crew you send the better loot and resources you will get. (Reduce exploration time perks can be introduced, as well as gold find).

3. Some of your crew members will not return back. 

4. There is a risk you will get attacked while waiting. If you get attacked and get killed 'Chest' icon will be added to the map where you were exploring. You have to sail there again and pick up your loot. (No crew available) Can't explore again until loot is collected. You can cancel loot if you don't want to sail. 

5. After all the wait and risk worth it. 

6. Players can send 'Exploration mission' once every 2 hours. 

7. Drops: Rare resources, Treasure maps, Hostages (Mission), Locals (Crew refill), gold etc, exporation XP.. 

8. Exploration XP can be used to unlock new 'permanent' perks. The more you explore the better you are at it. (Awesome titles could be added)

9. Exploration time is 30 minutes. Each part of the world would give away different drops. This is to prevent one area camping. This promotes 'exploration'. People will sail and will create traffic, traffic creates targets for hunters etc... 

-----------

Option #2

You don't have to be stationary, you just send crew and sail around. Pick up loot on thew way back. This is more relaxed feature with less risk. 

-----------

In the end, this feature will be useful for those who travel long distances and need to take a break. Instead of wasting time they can 'explore' nearby lands. This is 'content' that NA needs so badly. 

aKDwRiI.jpg

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

So you basically afk for half an hour at an unpopular (=safe) place to get some items. Where is the gameplay?

You don't play when you are afk. Do you? You just set course and go. This is the same, but with reward/risk.

Only con is you don't sail. You have to be stationary. Each part of the world would give away different rewards, so you can't just camp one area. 

Edited by Ned Low

I all ways thought it would be cool to have a FOG OF WAR map.  You only know what area you explored on the map or bought charts for.  You can buy charts from other players to open up your world map, but unless you do that or explore you get the FOG of WAR that so many other games have of area's you have yet to explore.   The more your explore the more xp you get from travels (something all ready in game).    

Maybe through in some exploration missions.  Visit so many ports and you gain some xp.   Go to this port on the other side of the map and gain some xp.   Things for folks that aren't into just all the grinding of AI or PvP/RvR.9

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I all ways thought it would be cool to have a FOG OF WAR map.  You only know what area you explored on the map or bought charts for.  You can buy charts from other players to open up your world map, but unless you do that or explore you get the FOG of WAR that so many other games have of area's you have yet to explore.   The more your explore the more xp you get from travels (something all ready in game).    

Maybe through in some exploration missions.  Visit so many ports and you gain some xp.   Go to this port on the other side of the map and gain some xp.   Things for folks that aren't into just all the grinding of AI or PvP/RvR.9

Fog of War is for Oceans. I am talking land Exploration. However, It can definitely be used on land as well. 

Edited by Ned Low

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

So you basically afk for half an hour at an unpopular (=safe) place to get some items. Where is the gameplay?

To some folks that is game play, remember we do have a PvE server after all and some folks just like to sail places and explore.  Hell I like to do it myself and I have been to every port on the map over the last year or so, but I also like the risk and the fight so I'm on the PvP server.  This gives you something to do during those slow hours and when you just don't feel like hunting other players.  The game needs more content to keep the average player attention and it's something it's very much lacking right now.  Even other MMO's have story missions and such you progress through as you level up, we have nothing pretty much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

To some folks that is game play, remember we do have a PvE server after all and some folks just like to sail places and explore.  Hell I like to do it myself and I have been to every port on the map over the last year or so, but I also like the risk and the fight so I'm on the PvP server.  This gives you something to do during those slow hours and when you just don't feel like hunting other players.  The game needs more content to keep the average player attention and it's something it's very much lacking right now.  Even other MMO's have story missions and such you progress through as you level up, we have nothing pretty much.

I agree, If Devs focus strictly on PvP unfortunately this game won't make it. Also, why would they limit their customers only to pvp base. That would be silly. 

Edited by Ned Low

53 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

You don't play when you are afk. Do you? You just set course and go. This is the same, but with reward/risk.

Only con is you don't sail. You have to be stationary. Each part of the world would give away different rewards, so you can't just camp one area. 

Nah man, I can see that story missions or some knd of exploration (treasures and stuff) would be benefical for the game, but not packed as another AFK mode... 

Might aswell look out of the window for half an hour, more action there^^

What happened to your other acc btw?

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 2:50 PM, Jon Snow lets go said:

Nah man, I can see that story missions or some knd of exploration (treasures and stuff) would be benefical for the game, but not packed as another AFK mode... 

Might aswell look out of the window for half an hour, more action there^^

What happened to your other acc btw?

I know it sounds complicated for you, I can sit down and chew it for you, but I am not going to waste my time since you are a pvp player trying to speak up on pve content. NA has 25% success rate and your ideas here really make it 24.5%. So, get your brain working and give us some revolutionary ideas that can help Naval Action bring more than 50 people who you can fight. In the end, it will be you sailing empty oceans and we don't want that do we?

Edited by Ned Low

Exploration is not something that is going to satisfy the warriors who are looking for lots of fights that they can access quickly very often.  Exploring is not for those who only want to fight and see other features as leaks that drain potential combatants away from the prime objective.

But there are some players who would love some form of exploration in the game.  Warriors might do well to just imagine that the explorers are not really part of  the game, after all these explorers probably will not play if the game is just various mechanics that are designed to force all of us into PvP combat all of the time.

I like Ned’s ideas but it would be fascinating to use allow players to access instances at will.  With the use of explorer instances. 

•  Although potential battle could be a part of it.  The explorer instance would be distinctly different from a battle instance.This explorer instance would be very inconspicuously marked in open world and would be created where the player chooses to activate it. Once inside we could hug a coastline and search for discoveries. 
  • Sailing more quickly would reduce the chance of discovery.  By sailing slowly or stopping there would be a greater chance of accessing discoveries.
  • Less valuable ones would be easier to see.  A discovery would only be recognized and available when a player scrutinizes a local area for some time.
  • After discoveries are located it should be possible to return to the location and extract the material until the supply is exhausted.  The discoveries could be varied and interesting; resources, precious stones, gems, minerals, rare animals, plants medicine.
  • These discoveries could be integrated with the resource availability in game.
  • This would provide an opportunity for wolves to hunt explorers and add some risk for those who are lingering in an instance.  Once an explorer instance is activated it should be possible for other players to enter an explorer instance at any time, at least on the PvP server.  But you would need to very close to an instance to see it.
  • Remember they are not battle instances and the options and timers will differ.  When entering an activated instance players always spawn at a large distance from the players inside.  Players who create instances are not looking for a fight, they are looking for discoveries and may be distracted.  They may not see the wolves until cannon balls are ripping through their sails.  By entering the instance at distance we are providing explorers with the option to flee ... but only if they are alert.  The time required to be able to exit should be longer than the time required in a battle instance to allow for the increased distance wolves will spawn in at.
  • There should be no time limit on remaining inside an exploration instance and no invisibility on exit.  You could be attacked very quickly after exiting upon return to open world.

Option:

• Players could have an option to create a discovery by leaving treasure (Gold, jewels, etc) in some locations that may be retrieved by returning to the location, creating an instance and searching for the material previously deposited.  This could allow players a chance to hide items in the open world if there was a risk of losing a port.  Better to leave a fortune in a secluded bay that risk losing it when a port is captured.  Especially if you are a pirate.

5900d4e809818_images(2).jpg.9d6348abb2e2932552507dcec021f0da.jpg

Edited by Macjimm
Added a groovy image
  • Like 4

On 26.4.2017 at 2:37 AM, Ned Low said:

I know it sounds complicated for you, I can sit down and chew it for you, but I am not going to waste my time since you are a pvp player trying to speak up on pve content. NA has 25% success rate and your ideas here really make it 24.5%. So, get your brain working and give us some revolutionary ideas that can help Naval Action bring more than 50 people who you can fight. In the end, it will be you sailing empty oceans and we don't want that do we?

Instead of judging a person you havent even spoken to you could answer my question, but I guess you just have no argument.

I bought this game to be a trader btw...

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

21 minutes ago, maturin said:

AFK item farming is pretty pointless.

But it would be nice if you could discover hidden Outposts and repair kits, theoretically letting you privateer on a hostile coast without needing to return to free towns all the time.

Have you ever played this game?

pirates-gold-usa.png

Even they have ability to explore islands. :) What year is this?

Edited by Ned Low

Hell, we all remember how silly things such as fishing and the first iteration of shipwrecks brrought a bunch of people into the OW.  (Enough for everyone and their brother to craft fir/speed Lynx's to try and hunt them)...  Imagine if they actually spent some time and implemented some stuff such as this?  It would be great.  Understandably, its a small team and takes time, but I'm still hopeful that the Devs or "someone" can add user content at some point.  Unfortunately, I dont know nearly enough about development to know what constitutes games being "mod-able"...

On a side note, I always thought it would be cool if every player was able to have one "hidden port" that didnt show up on maps or was available to others...  With only the ability to repair and store small amounts of goods.  Like 10% of a normal warehouse.  Basically, a small cove that only you had found.

Edited by Sir Joseph Blaine
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

I liked and suggested the "hidden" native villages same as many here. No marks on the map, one had to... erm... keep tabs.

Yeah, it sometimes does feel as though we are the ONLY person in the entire Caribbean, no? Even when you sail past other players...  Perhaps its the lack of animations/interactions/rumor mill/diplomacy?...

Edited by Sir Joseph Blaine
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sir Joseph Blaine said:

Yeah, it sometimes does feel as though we are the ONLY person in the entire Caribbean, no? Even when you sail past other players...  Perhaps its the lack of animations/interactions/rumor mill/diplomacy?...

I wish they somehow made actual Players look different from NPCs, this could be a start over the ship or a crown. 

1 hour ago, maturin said:

AFK item farming is pretty pointless.

But it would be nice if you could discover hidden Outposts and repair kits, theoretically letting you privateer on a hostile coast without needing to return to free towns all the time.

I agree the AFK farming (remember fishing when it started?)  should not be part of the game. It's called Naval Action so we should be acting not away from the computer AFK.   

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

I liked and suggested the "hidden" native villages same as many here. No marks on the map, one had to... erm... keep tabs.

*COUGH* Pirate Coves *COUGH*   Any one remember the one that was on POTBS, you could not see it on the map and you can only go there if you had done a mission string. It was some where close to Grand Turk.  This would be a cool concept for such.   

1 hour ago, Ned Low said:

Have you ever played this game?

pirates-gold-usa.png

Even they have ability to explore islands. :) What year is this?

Again this is naval action not some game that promised shore base exploration and combat.   I really don't want them to go a different path than the one we have.  The only none ship combat mechanic is boarding and it should still stay that way as it's still part of the ship combat.  NO SHORE BASE STUFF other than at ports.

Now maping and charting stuff as you explore the OW is a different story.

I agree the AFK farming (remember fishing when it started?)  should not be part of the game. It's called Naval Action so we should be acting not away from the computer AFK.

Fishing is pretty darn silly. But it's already coded.

1 hour ago, maturin said:

Fishing is pretty darn silly. But it's already coded.

Pay me and I will present you a script on how to make it fun and effective. :) Fishing was added, but only little time was invested into it. It remains today in it's simplest form. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 2