Game-Labs Forum

In-battle signalling

Just a thought I had earlier, it'd be pretty awesome to be able send in battle signals, both because I often struggle for time to type in battle, and because it quite closely follows practice in the period. 

Basically, the idea would be a few select signals ('form column to stern'/'engage the enemy more closely'/'disengage'/others as appropriate) that a designated fleet commander could hotkey and send to all the fleet in a battle. I feel it might lead to an increase in tactics (rather than sprawling battles), and also help the accuracy. Thoughts?

If you want more tactics over sprawling battles, best tip is to find a group to sail with, and develop tactics together. Communication opportunities isn't the problem in my experience, people knowing each other and adhering to the instructions given is the key.

14 minutes ago, Nelson said:

that a designated fleet commander could hotkey and send to all the fleet in a battle.

The game doesn't discriminate for fleet commanders. And I don't think that it would work unless you tie it to group leadership or make a feature for flag purchaser/hostility champion to select his team for port battles.

Most battles are conducted with commands made over teamspeak, and commanders have developed the skill to give short commands in battle chat in parallell. Suggestions have previously been made to implement commander tools. I don't favour that too much. I like that we use pen and paper, so-to-say, or Paint/similar software more commonly, to develop strategies before battles, and that we are somewhat constrained in our tactical development during a battle. And also that the game doesn't allow commanders to handhold each player and micromanage so individual action becomes irrelevant.

However I think it would be fitting, and possibly useful to some, with a simple semaphore-inspired command-system similar to what you are proposing. Though even more urgently, now with the removal of Global- and All- chat, we need a semaphore-inspired system to allow us to hail and salute enemy players before and after battles.

I would like to be able to read and send simple signals both in an instance and in OW.  I doubt that the Devs will spend time to add this type of feature.

What is a semaphore-inspired command-system?

A semaphore is as an object with an integer value that we can manipulate with
two routines (which we will call sem_wait() and sem_post() to follow the POSIX
standard). Because the initial value of the semaphore determines its behavior,
before calling any other routine to interact with the semaphore, we must first
initialize it to some value, as this code below does:

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

What is a semaphore-inspired command-system?

A semaphore is as an object with an integer value that we can manipulate with
two routines (which we will call sem_wait() and sem_post() to follow the POSIX
standard). Because the initial value of the semaphore determines its behavior,
before calling any other routine to interact with the semaphore, we must first
initialize it to some value, as this code below does:

116789fe0369fb3bba070c7345d692e4.jpg

original_personalised-naval-semaphore-fl

https://royal-signals.org.uk/Datasheets/SignallingFlags.php

By semaphore-inspired I'm not talking about having actual semaphore flags in-game, or have to type out words in morse code. I'm talking about having certain predefined messages we can choose from a list to send out to global chat/in-game chat. Like "yes" "no", "I am stopped", "On Fire Keep Clear", "altering course to starboard" etc, inspired by these:

a554c96af352030960976fba15d8d5d9.jpg

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Anolytic said:

By semaphore-inspired I'm not talking about having actual semaphore flags in-game, or have to type out words in morse code. I'm talking about having certain predefined messages we can choose from a list to send out to global chat/in-game chat. Like "yes" "no", "I am stopped", "On Fire Keep Clear", "altering course to starboard" etc, inspired by these:

Thanks for the reply.  I would prefer not to use text chatting but have a few simple flags that could be hoisted with key strokes.