PowderMonkey

Lets try and improve NA's Player numbers

70 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

If I had to make a prediction based off the upcoming patch and server splits it would be this: NA OW will turn into a PVE centric game that focuses on the relative mundane sailing simulation but requires very little further development efforts for those who simply enjoy the notion of sailing ships. The actual financially sound product will come from the PvP focused arena game. It will attract both casual and hardcore players thus a much wider and larger audience. I think the ship combat in NA has always been their strong suit and one they have continued to refine for years now....even now their has been more efforts focused on what most considered to be good enough than on other aspects of the game. We shall see I guess but that is what I think happens....not that my guess counts for much lol. Part of it makes me sad though....I think the OW and RvR had much to offer but I just don't see it working out unless they make some pretty significant changes to what they have announced. 

Agree to OW golden age being before Early Access when the game was still without much of the regulations that proved to backfire over the time, there weren't even missions, ai fleets nor safe zones back then. Also agree that the OW will dry up simply because out of the full population that bought the game I remember only a small percentage even took part of the rvr or port battles in some conversation yet there are some people who still believe and have illusions that OW and RvR will manage to get a kick off and become something actually thrilling and ''chess-like'' while majority of population who joined on EA are pampered by the pve and playing for ''immersion/experience'' and not interested in actually fighting over anything while being used to all the crutches that were put in place right before the EA.
It is also quite amusing to think back when I asked admin why do we not have 1 durability ships he said ''because people sink sometimes'' so I figure focusing now on the 1% of the player-base that is ''hardcore'' is supposed to save the ow and bring people back.

I also see bringing in arena as an omen to throw in the towel regarding the OW and just going back to the roots and what actually worked (and was within realms of possibilities/sustainability regarding resources and manpower because I remember the hype before OW and after having huge success with sea trials they probably felt they could take on the whole world with their few coders and artists). Will be interesting and certainly entertaining to observe the development of OW now and if it actually delivers and removes all the restrictions and hand holding. It might turn out to be interesting again yet I don't see nor expect them to have the secret sauce to actually fill the OW with required numbers to get a sustainable OW gameplay going on. Their previous sauce to trick and lure pve'rs aka majority of population onto OS by giving them AI fleets as imaginary protection and encouraging them to leave the port and safe zone without their protective herd into the slaughterhouse didn't work out too well I think. Can't trick a pver into pvper and vice versa.

Since we are predicting, here's my humble prediction from early 2015 before we got access to prototype OW (I admit I could have not imagined in my worst nightmares that OW would become so PvE heavy on a pvp server):

On 1/24/2015 at 9:11 PM, Kaos said:

First have to see what kind of OS mechanics they will give us. If it will be another ''forced-to-fit-for-speed-instead-of-fighting'' to avoid getting ganked a'la potbs then I can see most people sticking to arena modes just to avoid the hide-and-seek and actually getting fights where people don't turn tail and run after the first broadside exchange doesn't go their way.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

To be frank, it's not our responsibility to bring players back to the game.  According to the developer's own numbers, they've sold at or around 100k copies of NA on steam.  Over the past month or 2 there have been maybe 1000 people playing the game at it's peak.  That's a 1% player retention rate.  If this were a restaurant or other business that doesn't collect money upfront, it'd be out of business.  I'm coming up on just about a year of playing and it doesn't feel like the game is one step closer to release than the first day I logged in.  It feels even further away.  

The game has zero advertising, hasn't been on the past couple of steam sales and is full of negative reviews.  Not much we can do.  

Good games have player retention.  

Edited by Christendom

41 minutes ago, Christendom said:

To be frank, it's not our responsibility to bring players back to the game.  According to the developer's own numbers, they've sold at or around 100k copies of NA on steam.  Over the past month or 2 there have been maybe 1000 people playing the game at it's peak.  That's a 1% player retention rate.  If this were a restaurant or other business that doesn't collect money upfront, it'd be out of business.  I'm coming up on just about a year of playing and it doesn't feel like the game is one step closer to release than the first day I logged in.  It feels even further away.  

The game has zero advertising, hasn't been on the past couple of steam sales and is full of negative reviews.  Not much we can do.  

Good games have player retention.  

No it is not are responsibility, But its what we can do to help, your personal issues with the game have nothing to do with this post, all i was asking was for us to band together and try to make post wipe a lot more fun and give admin more data Post wipe.

Sadly this community has degraded to something alien and grotesque, wasn't expecting this much negativity from a request! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Band together, what's the point!!  Let's look at pvp1 as the example;

Two alliances, both hate each other 

Both sides used dirty, bullying tactics to win. Eastern alliance started to loose once there dirty, bullying tactics were used against them. (this was not fair apparently)  screamed to high heaven about boycotts etc. Stopped playing the game, stepped away from rvr!

Devs announcement of server wipe and split servers, with one server open amd the other time locked

(basically all us Europeans who play outside of the time locks, we're told to piss off to global server, amazing game management Devs)

Wipe delayed (shock horror) Now that the servers numbers are way down the eastern alliance starts playing again.

When numbers were high, eastern alliance had no interest in battles, but since they have no one to play against they start fighting again!!!!

Why would players from pvp1 want to spend anymore time on a server we are leaving once (in June after delays) server wipes happen!!! 

Those of us who are going to global server have no purpose on the new "eu mainland only server "

If this wipe keeps getting pushed back further and further will players return at all?

Edited by monk33y

Different points of view can be discussed without resorting to the usual bait and trolling.

A few posts hidden and edited as they were more personal affairs than thread subject discussion.

To increase the player numbers, the game must be accessable to non-hardcore players.

This means a) less time sinks like sailing sailing sailing and b ) interesting things to do with only one or two hours of time.

If there is a good mix of hardcore and casual games, then the game will florish. Casuals bring in the money needed to futher develop the game, hardcore players test new features and form a well organised community.

Posted (edited)

A specific game like Naval Action never will be very popular (sadly) and we should be very happy if 1/3 from game buyers will back after full release date. Its simply too much time sink, too hard-core and its not focused on pirates (thanks god) which can lure a horde potential buyers - a casual players who will left after "hit the wall" first impression (exluding lovely graphic) 

Since few years i advertise game on polish game forums and made our clan website as well - sadly there is only few people show some interest in this topic.

Edited by Bart Smith
1 person likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 1:06 AM, PowderMonkey said:

Hello everyone, i have been a part of this community since Sea Trials and have loved the game and the community. Some of the best moments were when we changed and directed Admin and the others to  improve the game.

Id like to ask a favor from all players who are still active on the forums, pass the word along to everyone who has quit or haven't played in a year to return in 2 weeks (lets hope they keep that timetable).

Organize are selves so we have constant community wide content we will make our selves.

If we pump up are numbers we increase are content we can enjoy.

I do hope everyone does come back and we show how much we love this game :)

imho

If inactive players return then some of them write negative review in steam.

Because game is too much changed.

1 hour ago, qw569 said:

imho

If inactive players return then some of them write negative review in steam.

Because game is too much changed.

So better than game stay like this? Come on. Once again more changes the better at the current stage game need a lot to fix what devs trying do by bring us so many changes lets hope good ones.

Posted (edited)

Not investing anymore time in this game until after the wipe. I've played some on the testbed, but am just tired of it right now.

I've got over 2730 hours in the game since December 2015. Built up my bankroll to 230m through massive trading and building. Sold ships of all kinds to many of you, either directly or through the market. My clan and I spent hours training new captains when they signed up. It was very enjoyable. But, since all this will be wiped, I'm going to hold off until afterwards.

Edited by Lord Heyford
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, monk33y said:

Two alliances, both hate each other

<continued RvR sperg>

Consider that most players that bought the game haven't been near a PB.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Lord Heyford said:

Not investing anymore time in this game until after the wipe. I've played some on the testbed, but am just tired of it right now.

I've got over 2730 hours in the game since December 2015. Built up my bankroll to 230m through massive trading and building. Sold ships of all kinds to many of you, either directly or through the market. My clan and I spent hours training new captains when they signed up. It was very enjoyable. But, since all this will be wiped, I'm going to hold off until afterwards.

Quite right but i bet you were aware that there will be wipe or even few right? I played since very first day but stopped few (2-3) months ago not big deal will back after wipe tho.

Edited by Bart Smith

5 hours ago, Bart Smith said:

Quite right but i bet you were aware that there will be wipe or even few right? I played since very first day but stopped few (2-3) months ago not big deal will back after wipe tho.

Not complaining about the wipe. Just saying I won't play until they've done it. This slow roll announce stuff then back off and change and then slow roll again is getting on my nerves.

As much as a wipe and change is necessary, they announced it way to early and killed the game for the time being. they should have been almost done with all the work being done, announced it maybe a week before ( a couple days would probably be enough) and when the announced date arrived, they would have just patched it and that's it.

Not only they announced it too early, they even told us a couple days before to gather as many resources as possible and stock them up for the upcoming ship wipe. At least I had a purpose in logging in everyday (Resource gathering, crafting parts and labor contracts)

People like me which I'm sorry to say are the majority, got pissed and lost interest or patience with the game. Not all of us are more focused on testing than playing the game. if we want people to come back, massive amounts of new content will have to be created. Taking away features, adjusting the damage caused by a stern rake or adjust the speed on the Santa Cecilia is not new content.

3 people like this

On 4/23/2017 at 3:49 PM, Simon Cadete said:

As much as a wipe and change is necessary, they announced it way to early and killed the game for the time being. they should have been almost done with all the work being done, announced it maybe a week before ( a couple days would probably be enough) and when the announced date arrived, they would have just patched it and that's it.

Not only they announced it too early, they even told us a couple days before to gather as many resources as possible and stock them up for the upcoming ship wipe. At least I had a purpose in logging in everyday (Resource gathering, crafting parts and labor contracts)

People like me which I'm sorry to say are the majority, got pissed and lost interest or patience with the game. Not all of us are more focused on testing than playing the game. if we want people to come back, massive amounts of new content will have to be created. Taking away features, adjusting the damage caused by a stern rake or adjust the speed on the Santa Cecilia is not new content.

Pretty much this. I too am tired of the completely idiotic way updates and information has been handled. They keep saying oh, this game was just a big test for Naval Action 2... except noone will buy NA2 because of the idiotic way NA1 has been handled. I damn sure wont be buying anything from LameLabs ever again unless this bullshit is turned around in the next 3 months. Alpha, alpha all you want. Go look at Empyrion if you want to see how Alpha is handled. I've never seen a game company SO INTENT on pissing off their playerbase and ensuring the failure of their Frankenstein project.

Edited by Werewolf
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Werewolf said:

Pretty much this. I too am tired of the completely idiotic way updates and information has been handled. They keep saying oh, this game was just a big test for Naval Action 2... except noone will buy NA2 because of the idiotic way NA1 has been handled. I damn sure wont be buying anything from LameLabs ever again unless this bullshit is turned around in the next 3 months. Alpha, alpha all you want. Go look at Empyrion if you want to see how Alpha is handled. I've never seen a game company SO INTENT on pissing off their playerbase and ensuring the failure of their Frankenstein project.

No offense but Empyrion is not a MMO, but is a survival server instanced game.  Kind of like Ark and Age of Conan:whatever the new one is called.

8 minutes ago, Hodo said:

No offense but Empyrion is not a MMO, but is a survival server instanced game.  Kind of like Ark and Age of Conan:whatever the new one is called.

A fair point, Hodo. I suppose there are big differences when your content is aimed towards online instead of instanced stuff. Still though, I am more referring to the way they communicate to their playerbase, lay out a solid plan and stick to their timelines, etc. I can't imagine an MMO is THAT much harder that you can't do those basic things on a routine basis.

If a game mode that pits pvp ships of same battle rating within a limit against each other for wither reward or loss without sailing happens it will take off again.

Most simply dont have the time to sail around looking for targets.

50 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

If a game mode that pits pvp ships of same battle rating within a limit against each other for wither reward or loss without sailing happens it will take off again.

Most simply dont have the time to sail around looking for targets.

Thank you. Please refer to this thread and continue that idea there http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/19793-naval-action-arena-game/

Increase of players willing to populated the West Indies open world with whatever combat odds is the purpose of this one :)

More will come back when the game is released.

Not many want to spend their time playing a game in testing knowing that they will loose all their stuff at some point before release.

Others like jumping on now and then to test new major updates..

Myself I played a lot initially and now only jump on now and then with big updates. When the game is actually finished I can see myself spending a lot of time with this game and a few of my mates as well.

2 people like this