Game-Labs Forum

Ships of the line in free towns

I would prefer to see free towns only used for trade.  It brings more meaning to owning regions.  The war zones then move to the edges of the empires - rather than it is today where any region can be attacked easily because of free towns being used as offensive bases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, admin said:

free towns historically were not combat oriented towns and actually were against any hostility in its vicinity. Keeping heavy warships in free towns allows nations to not capture ports to get closer to enemy and just bring them to FT and keep there. Removing possibility to dock in line ships creates better frontline and actually provides better indication of where enemy conquest fleets might be - in turn creating more pvp options. 

I like it, I've always thought free towns are to much of a mess. If a enemy ship is in hostile territory, he should have to sail in and out. just jumping to the FT and ganking players tends to spread out the PVP rather then focus it on the front lines. 

I think I like it. We often used FTs for piracy but really they just turned into staging areas for wars, with every FT being a threat.

I assume you mean you would limit it to 4th rate and smaller, thus preventing FTs from being staging areas for capital takeover fleets.

Seems reasonable to me. Make the lineship fleets come from an actual port of that nation.

Yes, please limit entrance for SoLs (I would go even further and would allow entrance for 5th rates and lower rates only). FTs should seize being free and safe military bases, often in the heart of the enemy lands. 

Edited by Stilgar
  • Like 1

I had been thinking why not just ban free towns to all warships, just like foreign ports are even with smuggler flag at present, but then I reckoned FTs would probably end up being hubs for selling repairs. Should line of battle ships be allowed in to buy repairs? History says - shouts - YES!

The game doesn't have to follow history of course. And while I have argued elsewhere that traders should be able to dock in FTs, in outpost slots with teleporting, I have no views either way on warships. By all means ban warships (of any type, or just SoLs if you like) from docking in an outpost in an FT. If you sail into the FT in a warship, you must sail out in the same warship (unless you destroy it).