Game-Labs Forum

Take away the GPS

I am missing the feeling when I  got a perfect landfall after days at sea without spotting land.

I am missing the need of planning a trip. At the moment I can sail blind just have to check coordinates from time to time.

I am missing the feeling when someone told me where we wanna meet just with landmarks as reference and I finally got there.

I am missing the feeling of being lost.

I am missing the advantage of being good in navigation.

• Like 12

Maybe some sort of cooldown (how long though?) where you can request to get a rough location-idea in the way of a circle on the map.
Being able to check your coords 24/7 doesn't seem right.

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 2

There is no such thing as UNIVERSAL FUN.

Fun to us all, pain to us all, is nothing. So, patronizing or chastising has no place in mechanic discussion.

1. Subject

2. Agree or disagree

3. Why and what benefits.

The issue imho is when new players get lost at first for who knows how long and get frustrated.

Sure it's fun when you like it and are used to it etc, but if players quit the game because they get lost and get frustrated after a couple hours of playing, it just sucks.

I would rather prefer to be able to see my ship on the map, as in say silent hunter, and be able to deactivate it later on.

Essentially a difficulty/realism setting allowing both casual and hardcore players to enjoy the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

The issue imho is when new players get lost at first for who knows how long and get frustrated.

Sure it's fun when you like it and are used to it etc, but if players quit the game because they get lost and get frustrated after a couple hours of playing, it just sucks.

I would rather prefer to be able to see my ship on the map, as in say silent hunter, and be able to deactivate it later on.

Essentially a difficulty/realism setting allowing both casual and hardcore players to enjoy the game.

True

Maybe keeping the GPS for the first few ranks (until 250 crew or something) could do the balance here.

13 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Nostalgia is a heck of a thing sometimes.  Removing GPS will not bring back the excitement you felt during your first couple weeks playing and it's inclusion in the game is a creature comfort that benefits new players and vets alike.  

Might be true that not all old players could get that feeling again. But at the moment the game rob this experience from new players.

The feeling to be proud on yourself while you achieved something like that has 1000 more value than OK I am there what next.

Starbucks Coffee sucks in taste but the feeling of the ambience is what people drives them into their shop.

If NA misses to sale a feeling to people NA is doomed in the long run. Why people left recently? Because it was a experience you can get in every other game. Nothing special about it. 

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Agree with removal of GPS; makes perfect sense with the recent direction of changes.

[edit] I would be fine with showing the GPS coords calculated at the last high noon, which is when such calculations would traditionally take place [/edit]

Edited by CatSwift
  • Like 5

1) Navigation without anything wasn't that difficult, was fun and added a bit of randomness and danger : you didn't know precisely where you "landed".

2) Then there was navigation with 3rd-party tools, still based mostly on your compass, such as : 

http://tdamap.com/portmap.html

http://burningsail.com 

Still a bit fun and much more easier.

3) Then there was the current in-game GPS. Nobody obliges players to use it. You can still use your compass and nothing else. That's what I do most of the time. And when I'm a bit lazy, I check ma location  with the GPS. 

In sum, navigation without GPS added an activity while in OW, added content to OW... 

But there were lots of complaints in Steam review and NA forum, so...

Navigation without GPS is still possible for those who want, but do we have to impose it for all, knowing some might quit because of it ?

Combat is skill-based. Navigation could also be skill-based and funnier. All it takes is removing GPS (and... maybe add some more content in OW).

Hardcore is the trendy keyword, so...

Edited by LeBoiteux

47 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Might be true that not all old players could get that feeling again. But at the moment the game rob this experience from new players.

The feeling to be proud on yourself while you achieved something like that has 1000 more value than OK I am there what next.

Starbucks Coffee sucks in taste but the feeling of the ambience is what people drives them into their shop.

If NA misses to sale a feeling to people NA is doomed in the long run. Why people left recently? Because it was a experience you can get in every other game. Nothing special about it. 

This game isn't sputtering because of GPS coordinates on the map.  If anything you probably kept a few people playing by adding it in.  I'll agree that this game needs to "sell" the person on an experience to keep them interested, GPS won't make or break that.  You can make the game more immersive without making it more difficult for new people.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Christendom said:

This game isn't sputtering because of GPS coordinates on the map.  If anything you probably kept a few people playing by adding it in.  I'll agree that this game needs to "sell" the person on an experience to keep them interested, GPS won't make or break that.  You can make the game more immersive without making it more difficult for new people.  

Wouldnt think i would agree with you at certain point.

Miracles and wonders.....:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

I agree with removing GPS.  If people need it, make it a perk.  I loved getting lost and learning my way around when first starting out.  

Permanent Captain Perk that would not take any slot would be a great idea. Pay marks and unlock it, use it if needed. 

47 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

Permanent Captain Perk that would not take any slot would be a great idea. Pay marks and unlock it, use it if needed. 

Still would hurt new people the most and this game desperately needs new people in it and sticking around. 

As for perks thought, you could call it    "Sailing Master" or something to that effect.  Since most masters were the navigators.