Game-Labs Forum

If You Care About Realism...

Can't be bothered to dig up the comment, but I'm fairly sure that they couldn't keep storm battles because of synchronization issues with the extreme wave movement and suchlike.

But variable winds, hell yes.

And please, for the love of barnacles, give us a deck camera option that is offset to one side or another, I'd love to use it more often but on some ships I literally cannot see what's ahead of me because the masts are blocking the camera.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:29 AM, Aegir said:

Can't be bothered to dig up the comment, but I'm fairly sure that they couldn't keep storm battles because of synchronization issues with the extreme wave movement and suchlike.

But variable winds, hell yes.

And please, for the love of barnacles, give us a deck camera option that is offset to one side or another, I'd love to use it more often but on some ships I literally cannot see what's ahead of me because the masts are blocking the camera.

Since this is about realism, I was thinking about a possibility to sail a ship in 1st person.

Currently when you zoom all the way in, the view seems to be in the middle and as Aegir indicated, your forward view is obstructed by the mast. My suggestion in term of "realism" is concerned is to simulate (I know some people hate the term "simulation" for this game, but bear with me) a captain's view from the quarterdeck and limit the third person view during combat instances for complete combat immersion.

As you see in the pictures below, it shows the current views. 1st and 2nd pics show total zoom in, forward and side views. The 3rd one is aiming view after right clicking while in side view.

My suggestion is to shift the deck view a little aft to simulate a captain standing on the quarter deck, with the ability to move a little to starboard or port to see forward without being obstructed by the masts (or if not possible, then make masts semi transparent like the sails to allow some vision), and when aiming, the view is moved to the current aiming position (which remains unchanged). So the only thing that changes in complete zoom in is the move a little bit aft for a quarterdeck view instead of center of the ship view.

The second suggestion is to limit the zoom out view and eliminate the 3rd person view, again to make combat instances more immersive. The zoom out view should be as far as the crow's nest only, to simulate a view from the lookout.

If it is at all possible to maybe add a "1st Person PvE" mission for people to test the more realistic view in battle for a few weeks or so and see what the feedback is. I know, PvE missions are being removed from PvP server in order to increase OW sailing, but this would be a time limited experiment to test how it impacts battles and what people think about a 1st person/POV battle instances.

Maybe, this could be some additional content for the PvE server to allow interested players to experience Age of Sail battle simulation.

Edited by AngryPanCake

Even if they don't bring back storms in battles, it would be nice to see them once in a while on OW like they use too.  I had some pretty scary moments in a trader not seeing crap around me to run right across an enemy ship.  We both freak out and turn and run even though he's a war ship and I'm a trader.  That was funny as hell as he thought I was in a war ship to and we both laugh about it afterwards, but it was raining and storming so hard you couldn't see crap.

1 minute ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I remember joining my first clan and making the trip from Puerto Bello to Omoa in a storm nearly all the way. Raged about it a bit but honestly that was more itneresting then staring at the blue ocean all the time.

I had never went to Kidds and was bottle hunting and that was how I found Kidds, in the middle of a storm.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

I am also aware that many players do like the concept of "simulation" or "realism" but carebear with me ....

I would love to have the ability to control the ship from the free look view.  I spend hours in OW sailing.  It is a very enjoyable part of the game.

I use the home key to change the view to see around the sail and mast, or climbup the ratlines and am fairly happy with it.  All that is needed is to be able to control the ship from the free look.   Currently it is possible to control the ship when in the gunnery view so I'm guessing that it would be fairly simple to control the ship from the free look [Home] views.  But I'm not a programer 

Hoping that the devs will add this feature when they have adressed the other issues.

I would prefer free look view from fixed views around the ship.  It provides more choice and it helps to make OW sailing interesting if I can walk about the deck and go a aloft.  But it is inconvienient to be continually switching the view to control the ship.

Additional ideas for realism in OW:

• With the HUD off, some added tools (toggled so they are not always in use):
  1. Compass for taking bearings (rather than the one that is fixed to the ships heading).
  2. Chronometer or watch
  3. Chip log
  • Darkness at night. (Not everynight but dependent on the moon and cloud cover)
  • National ship identifiers in OW (static flag, paint scheme) so we can distinguish the foe without the hud (UI).
  • Ability to remove the text above ports and remove the conflict text warnings that are splashed across the screen.  Perhaps an extra level of hud removal - "Ctrl H for a third time"

It would be great if we had storms and damage from waves, wind, shorelines and collisions but I'd be very greatful if I could just control the ship from free look.

Edited by Macjimm
Added previously linked video
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aegir said:

No, it's because of some incredibly stupid engine limitation in Unity, regarding number of instances active simultaneously.

Sounds like something that could be worked around, but I suspect the devs aren't too motivated to bring them back because the community did nothing but bitch and moan about big waves make it hard to aim.

59 minutes ago, maturin said:

No, it's because of some incredibly stupid engine limitation in Unity, regarding number of instances active simultaneously.

Sounds like something that could be worked around, but I suspect the devs aren't too motivated to bring them back because the community did nothing but bitch and moan about big waves make it hard to aim.

Thanks for clarifying.

I do hope that they bring it back, in lobbies it might seem arbitrary and annoying, but on the open sea people will know what to expect if they start a fight in an OW storm.

Speaking of weather, heavy fog in battle instances would also be great and probably easy to implement.

1 hour ago, maturin said:

As far as i recall the majority of the bitching was the amount of storm battles. At one point 3/4 battles were storm battles... :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

That video looks great, do you use the same WASD keys to move around your ship after you press the Home key to start free look?

Yeah WASD and ZX for up and down.  But we can't control the ship.  So perhaps the ship controls could be left the same and the devs could impliment new keys for the moving the camera.  Hoping this would be doable.

1 hour ago, maturin said:

I remember the moaning and bitching.  Perhaps now that we will be splitting the game, the storms would be okay in Open World because the warriors could be allowed a storm free option and unfettered aiming in the Naval ACTION Arena Mode.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macjimm said:

Yeah WASD and ZX for up and down.  But we can't control the ship.  So perhaps the ship controls could be left the same and the devs could impliment new keys for the moving the camera.  Hoping this would be doable.

That would be great and people who like total immersion would really enjoy chasing and engaging enemy ships in POV perspective as if you were actually there!