Ink

Preliminary patch 9.99 deployed to testbed server

565 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

They might need to work with the other players whenever they can.

I hope to see the Contracts put up by players generating Delivery missions for players as well.

So it comes down to the trade to find the best buy deal to fulfill the customer and make a buck.

Well, I don't mind putting a couple up, though @JobaSet says he already has - but I'll need to amke a little more gold to make it worthwhile. How big does a buy contract need to be to become a delivery missions?

But in all honesty, the only thing I need right now is furnishings and I can surely make these quicker than waiting for a buy contract to transfer over into a delivery mission, for other players to see it and one of them to think it is worthwhile sailing over to my particular corner of the map to fulfill it. Even then, how does a Trading mission fulfill a buy contract. If the player fulfills the mission then does an NPC transfer the goods to fulfill my buy contract? As I say, I'll happily put up an order to test the mechanics - and I'll hapilly try to fulfill someone else's order for the same purpose (but not Bermuda cedar, sorry JobaSet), if alerted to it (I don't really like delivery missions so I rarely look at them).

Furnishings are my immediate need, as I say, but I can get them from PvE marks, clicking on Furnishings in the ship blueprinit. But they aren't listed in the Admiralty shop. Why not? I hadn't spotted the Ship BP link till ti was pointed out to me, as I had always gone in through the Craft > Woodworking tab which just has the normal blueprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Remus said:

Well, I don't mind putting a couple up, though @JobaSet says he already has - but I'll need to amke a little more gold to make it worthwhile. How big does a buy contract need to be to become a delivery missions? Don't work that way

But in all honesty, the only thing I need right now is furnishings and I can surely make these quicker than waiting for a buy contract to transfer over into a delivery mission, for other players to see it and one of them to think it is worthwhile sailing over to my particular corner of the map to fulfill it. Even then, how does a Trading mission fulfill a buy contract. If the player fulfills the mission then does an NPC transfer the goods to fulfill my buy contract? As I say, I'll happily put up an order to test the mechanics - and I'll hapilly try to fulfill someone else's order for the same purpose (but not Bermuda cedar, sorry JobaSet), if alerted to it (I don't really like delivery missions so I rarely look at them). hehe wait until you need Red wood. gold silver not so hard to get.

Furnishings are my immediate need, as I say, but I can get them from PvE marks, clicking on Furnishings in the ship blueprinit. But they aren't listed in the Admiralty shop. Why not? I hadn't spotted the Ship BP link till ti was pointed out to me, as I had always gone in through the Craft > Woodworking tab which just has the normal blueprint.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't even though about looking for red wood.  Got one char with an empty slot for building that prob look for it.   Than again I got three chars to work with unlike some poor solo guy.  Though I plan to make extra of stuff and fill contracts for folks to make money on the side if the price is right of certain goods.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I haven't even though about looking for red wood.  Got one char with an empty slot for building that prob look for it.   Than again I got three chars to work with unlike some poor solo guy.  Though I plan to make extra of stuff and fill contracts for folks to make money on the side if the price is right of certain goods.

 

if u got a brit ..............Harbour island is it on the whole east side of US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hodo said:

 

Or any trade goods for that matter.  It would increase traffic at free ports, and increase the amount of piracy and privateering near these ports.  Which would be good also.

if i can buy goods for sale in any free port at any free port how is that not better then delivery?  I put it up for sale and buy it right after with an alt,...... instant delivery?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Augustus Charles Hobart H said:

if i can buy goods for sale in any free port at any free port how is that not better then delivery?  I put it up for sale and buy it right after with an alt,...... instant delivery?  

There will be a delay, just like transporting goods.  The difference is you have access to a world market instead of one town.  Like a 18th century Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hodo said:

There will be a delay, just like transporting goods.  The difference is you have access to a world market instead of one town.  Like a 18th century Amazon.

even with a delay its no different then the old shipments, i sell i buy with an alt i get to ship across the map from freetown to freetown just like old times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, i actually managed to find an opponent on the testserver and jumped him for a duel. I was in an Ingermanland and he in a Constitution.

He tried to disengage early but i managed to keep him in battle. We traded some broadsides but without any real decisive results and damage output on planking as well as sails was kinda even. At some point, i decided that i had suffered enough damage to trigger some repairs and fresh up. I then noticed he did the same with his sails but not with his hull, and some minutes later, when he realized the battle was more and more tending against him, he texted me in battle chat claiming he didnt have enough repair kits with him. End of story, he surrendered 20 minutes later, but not because lack of skill but because of his lack of repair kits.

 

Basically, if you have enough repair kits atm, you can repair as much as you want (especially ina 1v1 where you cant focus damage or force your enemy to keep showing his sides). I think you devs want repairs to be a way for good players to replenish themselves in an outnumbered battle, but right now theyre the best way to introduce naval engagements with useless cannons.

 

An idea for repairs:
Since it should be a comeback mechanic, i suggest that you start a battle with 2 repair permissions (which you can use for any repair, either hull, sails or surgeon). For every Kill you get 2 additional repairs and 1 for every assist. Furthermore, id suggest to limit the overall repair kits you can have on your ship, e.g. 60 kits for a Surprise, 100 kits for a Constitution (you could still decide how you want to distribute kits between hull/sails/crew).
Pros: No infinite repairs. Stealing repairs from sank ships in mid battle becomes a strategic goal (wrecks will bring ships into fight if they want to deny the loot), but sinking smaller ships will not give you as much repairs as you might need. Fighting more and better will provide you with better comeback options than those who dont fight (risk vs reward).
Cons: Large fights could have a heavier snowball effect than we already have. Securing loot from sunk friendlies is vital for repair denial.

Edited by Havelock
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Havelock said:

So, i actually managed to find an opponent on the testserver and jumped him for a duel. I was in an Ingermanland and he in a Constitution.

He tried to disengage early but i managed to keep him in battle. We traded some broadsides but without any real decisive results and damage output on planking as well as sails was kinda even. At some point, i decided that i had suffered enough damage to trigger some repairs and fresh up. I then noticed he did the same with his sails but not with his hull, and some minutes later, when he realized the battle was more and more tending against him, he texted me in battle chat claiming he didnt have enough repair kits with him. End of story, he surrendered 20 minutes later, but not because lack of skill but because of his lack of repair kits.

 

Basically, if you have enough repair kits atm, you can repair as much as you want (especially ina 1v1 where you cant focus damage or force your enemy to keep showing his sides). I think you devs want repairs to be a way for good players to replenish themselves in an outnumbered battle, but right now theyre the best way to introduce naval engagements with useless cannons.

 

An idea for repairs:
Since it should be a comeback mechanic, i suggest that you start a battle with 2 repair permissions (which you can use for any repair, either hull, sails or surgeon). For every Kill you get 2 additional repairs and 1 for every assist. Furthermore, id suggest to limit the overall repair kits you can have on your ship, e.g. 60 kits for a Surprise, 100 kits for a Constitution (you could still decide how you want to distribute kits between hull/sails/crew).
Pros: No infinite repairs. Stealing repairs from sank ships in mid battle becomes a strategic goal (wrecks will bring ships into fight if they want to deny the loot), but sinking smaller ships will not give you as much repairs as you might need. Fighting more and better will provide you with better comeback options than those who dont fight (risk vs reward).
Cons: Large fights could have a heavier snowball effect than we already have. Securing loot from sunk friendlies is vital for repair denial.

I like the infinite repair system currently, the timers could be adjusted so their is a longer cooldown between them.  

But honestly a few well placed shots and you can cripple most ships now.  I bow raked a rattlesnake in a Trincomalee and blew off the mizzen mast and the main mast.   I stern raked a Frigate with a Frigate and removed its aft mast on the second pass.  

While a player could repair, it is only going to fix 500pts of damage over 90seconds.   If you keep pressure on your opponent with proper maneuvering you should have been able to keep the pressure on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I like the infinite repair system currently, the timers could be adjusted so their is a longer cooldown between them.  

But honestly a few well placed shots and you can cripple most ships now.  I bow raked a rattlesnake in a Trincomalee and blew off the mizzen mast and the main mast.   I stern raked a Frigate with a Frigate and removed its aft mast on the second pass.  

While a player could repair, it is only going to fix 500pts of damage over 90seconds.   If you keep pressure on your opponent with proper maneuvering you should have been able to keep the pressure on them.

Yah unless your running Carps and Carpenters team that repair prob wasn't going to be enough to save him if your getting better shots in than him.  I like the current system, but I haven't gotten to test it in PvP much yet to compare it to some one else doing the same heals in combat (only got one poor guy in shallows).  

This just means we have to plan a head and stock up with enough repairs for grinding and PvP.  Not rush out of combat either. I do some repairs before I leave the battle so I don't have to do as much out side in OW just in case some one is sitting there.  My only issue is the slider should let us use one kit instead of blocks of 5 so we can tweek very small repairs if we want instead of leaving part of it not repaired.

@admin I hear a lot of folks complaining about the ship knowledge tree thing. Is there any way we can get a break down of what ships are needed for what ships to learn.  That way I can start on the Brig and work my way up to the connie if that the ship I need to start with or more like the lynx or cutter will prob be the first ship you will have to get to 3 slots to unlock it for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a count on numbers when the patch comes out ?

How many players can we expect in the US server. I have heard that over 75% of the current player base will be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forum accounts / in game chat voting in the server they will play on post wipe ? It is half half from the same hearsay source as you certainly have. Future servers are EU, Global and PvE. There's no US.

Also what does that question is anything related to the hotfix !?

Stick to the subject.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Forum accounts / in game chat voting in the server they will play on post wipe ? It is half half from the same hearsay source as you certainly have.

Future servers are EU, Global and PvE. There's no US.

 

Will the global server be a "US" based server for ping reasons ? In Australia we get 200-300 ping, if it is EU, it is unplayable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global will be hosted in US - as PvP2 now; inactive PvP2 only players will have their XP there.
Euro will be hosted in EU - as PvP1 now; inactive PvP1 only players will have their XP there.

Active players who logged into both servers will have their XP on both.
 

Edited by sveno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.4.2017 at 9:01 PM, Ink said:

Repairs changes

I think multiple repairs are probably a problem. Not because of multiple repairs, but because it has no real drawback. Yes it needs crew so you cant shoot and repair at the same time, but you can just turn away from the enemy and repair without the need to shoot. Battles are going to be protracted unnecessarily. 

Imagine a 1v1 situation, one ship missed its first two broadsides and got a disadvantage. He is going to turn away and repair, both ships full hp again. Now the other ship got disadvantage and does the same, etc. If repair is on cooldown, they can even turn away until its ready.

Simple drawback idea: Repair only possible in battle sails.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now