Game-Labs Forum

Stones River and its oddities

Bobby Fiasco

Just massacred the CSA at this battle. I discovered their initial flanking maneuver through scouting, checked it, and held my original line, eventually counter-attacking, wrapping up and destroying their army. Then they were dumb enough to attack the entrenchments I had teleported to on the final day with their 20 percent strength army and insufficient artillery support or supplies (I had captured or destroyed a lot of it earlier).

This is the first time I have had a serious gripe with the battle scripting. Could it somehow be more reactive if you are doing well rather than forcing you to follow the now-irrelevant historical events? Like certain phase shifts just don't get triggered? Throughout my epic victory I was getting messages about how I just can't hold 'em and we need to fall back before we get destroyed.

Did I still have tons of fun? Hell yes; I just thought as a pre-release I would offer some feedback. What are your experiences with this battle?

In a perfect world, they'd make each major battle like UGG where the battle phases were dynamic and then you could make a strategic decision on what to do next. That is unfortunately a bit much to ask of the development team for the current game. Maybe next game!

• Like 1

Stones River on the union side is one of the ones i have the biggest gripe about how it teleports yous troops.  I had made a large swinging gate attack on the confederate left flank towards the end of day 1 and then...boom i'm put all the way back at the last defensive position.  The strict structure of the scenarios is frustrating at times because it totally takes away any incentive to be aggressive.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wright29 said:

In a perfect world, they'd make each major battle like UGG where the battle phases were dynamic and then you could make a strategic decision on what to do next. That is unfortunately a bit much to ask of the development team for the current game. Maybe next game!

Oh! I skipped right to UG:CW but that inspires me to go back to Gettysburg at some point. That sounds cool. I will really miss the detached skirmishers and army management, though.

1 hour ago, jamieva said:

Stones River on the union side is one of the ones i have the biggest gripe about how it teleports yous troops.  I had made a large swinging gate attack on the confederate left flank towards the end of day 1 and then...boom i'm put all the way back at the last defensive position.  The strict structure of the scenarios is frustrating at times because it totally takes away any incentive to be aggressive.  

It's about how you manage the teleporting, in this case.

You could essentially be aggressively using your condition, and then get teleported back to recover condition on the likely 0% condition units. By the time the opposing side catches up, you'll have recovered to conduct any condition-using manuevers (like running around) again.

Edited by Wandering1

1 hour ago, jamieva said:

I still like to go aggro, within the time limit of the phase, because I know that whatever damage I do will carry over to the next phase.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:59 AM, jamieva said:

It's moreso a big problem on the first playthrough when the timer is deceptive and you have no idea if there are more phases coming in the current day or if the timer is really the 'end' and you need to be in control by then. Or even if it's one of the battles where the timer is soft and you can keep fighting or if it's a hard instant end.