Game-Labs Forum

Please Don't remove Global Chat

9 minutes ago, Rickard said:

i agree ! 

and if admin reads this instead of removing global chat give the players a mechanic to counter toxic people like a reputation system, if you get below a certain low reputation like -100 or -500 then automatic actions are being taken by the game to silence the player or putting a bounty on his head or muting the player.

Aye! "Ignore" always worked fine fer me in the past! =oD

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rickard said:

i agree ! 

and if admin reads this instead of removing global chat give the players a mechanic to counter toxic people like a reputation system, if you get below a certain low reputation like -100 or -500 then automatic actions are being taken by the game to silence the player or putting a bounty on his head or muting the player.

Unfortunately systems like that can tend to lead to the toxic people targeting good people.  It can be used as a weapon rather than a shield. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pagan Pete said:

Without Global chat, How are we supposed to tell tales with our national comrades… On single display computers?

Chattin in Global is more than 50% of the reason I play! :(

pls remove global chat i hate pagan pete his tales []P

If all good nature people click ignore, close chat, turn off functions only the toxic crap will remain there. Hence chats ceases to have a purpose.

You are looking at it from the totally wrong perspective.

Think it the other way around, If good natured people actually do their best to root out the gutter talk then the ones left will be the ones that actually make good use of the Chat.

• Like 1

Please keep global chat. While I don't use it for socializing, it does currently provide the best way to contact other nations regarding diplomacy, commerce, cooperation, etc. The game changes that have been announced bringing us in to OW and removing "comfort" features will require more communication, not less.

@admin you have hundreds of players -- if not thousands -- who are very passionate about your game and sincerely want to see it succeed. Might I suggest that instead of us always posting OUR pain points, you tell us YOURS. Your community might have some good compromises or solutions for you.

If we know the problems, our suggestions can be more focused.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Please keep global chat. While I don't use it for socializing, I do love Pagan Pete's stories, jokes, sea shanties, Lil Willy's tales, etc. The game changes that have been announced bringing us in to OW and removing "comfort" features will require more of Pagan Pete's humor, not less.

@admin you have hundreds of players -- if not thousands -- --and Pagan Pete-- who are very passionate about your game and sincerely want to see it succeed. Might I suggest that instead of us always posting OUR pain points, you tell us YOURS. Your community might have some good compromises or solutions for you.

If we know the problems, our suggestions can be more focused, or Pagan Pete can just shoot them in the foot.

Thats better… [_]p

Using 'alt-facts' for good, not evil! <_<

Edited by Pagan Pete

Perhaps deputizing a few more players from each Nation to be server chat Moderators. Have these player/chat moderators spread out across equal amount of Time Zones so they may monitor Global & Nation chat for "abusive/toxic" chat 24/7.

Especially the bigoted chat which should be punished harshly & swiftly. IMO the reason why this is regularly abused is because it doesn't get punished enough. "Hate speech" is not free-speech. Nor should it ever be deemed protected. It doesn't belong in NA whatsoever.

Keep Global chat, but monitor it heavily with additional moderators to report infractions.

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 3

Just going to shamelessly copy and post what I said from another thread, because it applies here too.  (Honestly, the two threads could probably stand to be merged...)

I personally enjoy Pagan Pete's role-playing.  I love the whimsical discussions about anything and nothing while two players share a time while they go on their separate voyages.  I think all of us do, developers included.

However, we also want players to continue coming into this game.  Toxicity tends to stagnate that.  Many reviews are about a toxic community.  In the past, when we have been stricter on moderation, reviews were about "fascist moderators."  If we can't keep people happy with light moderation, and we can't keep people happy with heavy moderation, the next step is to remove the source of discomfort - in this case, global chat.

Let me be very clear:  I love the role-playing I've seen by Captains that are so vested in this game, that they have created a personality for themselves to embody within it.  But I loathe the constant trolling, the button pushing, the dancing on the line of every rule, and then screaming about it when they get punished.  The former, alas, does not outweigh the latter.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

I have seen people being somewhat toxic in nation chat... and unfortunately if/when I (or someone else) step in a try to calm them down it doesn't work usually.
But anyway, I think we still need to keep a way (private chat maybe?) to be able to communicate with our enemies ingame.
As for the global chat, I rarely saw anything bad (pvp1 server)... and when I did, I said something and reported the abuser. But since we don't get any feedback about our actions it feels often that it's useless.

Beside that I don't know what I can do as a player, I would gladly volunteer to become a moderator ingame if there is any need.

ditto in all respects.

On 12/04/2017 at 3:33 PM, Hethwill said:

Think it the other way around, If good natured people actually do their best to root out the gutter talk then the ones left will be the ones that actually make good use of the Chat.

I've seen this said a number of times, by Admin, yourself and others. The question I asked Admin the first time still stands; How? Surely you know as well as anybody that the kind of toxic players we are talking about will respond to civil, reasoned attempts to moderate their behaviour with more toxicity. Politely asking them to cease and desist doesn't work, if anything it has the opposite effect and fuels their behaviour. Most of us have been around long enough to know that arguing with idiots goes nowhere good :)

Ignore does work, because if everybody ignores them they end up talking to themselves, get bored and go away. Closing chat is less ideal but it is a solution for some which leaves the communications open for others rather than Admin taking the nuclear option.

Basically moderation needs to be much tougher off the bat and bans much more severe.

• Like 2

yesterday i arrange a fight vs brit in front of KPR.

Relaly nice communication with the one i organise it and first battle for the french (we were +++ heavy)

Rematch is organise

Brits come with wind and 1.5 our forces. Ok np. Then Sorry clan join them to totally destoy the balance leading in a 1v2.5

We decide to leave the battle.

Some brits start to be toxix about french running etc.

It decrease my pleasure to have organise this battles and have fight. It's something that i would have love to not see tbh.
It don't change things for thoses who are the toxic because for them toxicity is normal but for some not use to be toxic every time, we will regret it on some hands and in another one, i say: lets try

On 4/12/2017 at 7:33 AM, Hethwill said:

If all good nature people click ignore, close chat, turn off functions only the toxic crap will remain there. Hence chats ceases to have a purpose.

You are looking at it from the totally wrong perspective.

I respect this idea.  All it takes for evil to prevail ...  but...

We all have different skill sets and levels of commitment.  I like having the option for Global chat.  Removing it would be a shame.  But I don't spend much time looking at chat and unless the problem was extremely discriminatory I doubt I would recognize it as a problem.  Not playing stupid.  Simply would fail to see it for more that just silly remarks or childish gibberish.

You other suggestion is very applicable.  "Don't feed the trolls".  

From my very limited point of view, every silly comment  I've seen in this game is not worthy of more than a passing glance.  But I'll keep my eyes open for comments that are seriously offensive.

• Like 1

I do use cross nation chat to roleplay my characters a lot. The players that crossed me and my consorts know this quite well. ( also used it a couple times for less than honorable exchanges albeit never profanity ).

Also did give a lot of welcomes to NA to new fellows, explained them a few things and overall have the feeling I did made a difference in the way they were welcomed - I will had I remember one of them that had been taught wrong things by his nation fellows.

I do like to see Global like the Radio Station of sorts. Where there's nice content to have fun with and participate.

I do wish chats to remain.

But also can reason the why the chat/community has been pointed out by many as very bad, aggressive, toxic. It is true and we know this.

I will tell you that many old vets and clans did take a break from the game until the RvR poopzilla attitude was resolved. All of them had excellent wars in the past. Somewhere in the near past some "groups" did rise and started giving the wrong impression of the community.

Let chat remain but make sure we can act like we damn care about it :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I do use cross nation chat to roleplay my characters a lot. The players that crossed me and my consorts know this quite well. ( also used it a couple times for less than honorable exchanges albeit never profanity ).

Also did give a lot of welcomes to NA to new fellows, explained them a few things and overall have the feeling I did made a difference in the way they were welcomed - I will had I remember one of them that had been taught wrong things by his nation fellows.

I do like to see Global like the Radio Station of sorts. Where there's nice content to have fun with and participate.

I do wish chats to remain.

But also can reason the why the chat/community has been pointed out by many as very bad, aggressive, toxic. It is true and we know this.

I will tell you that many old vets and clans did take a break from the game until the RvR poopzilla attitude was resolved. All of them had excellent wars in the past. Somewhere in the near past some "groups" did rise and started giving the wrong impression of the community.

Let chat remain but make sure we can act like we damn care about it :)

In this world of internet anonymous omnipotence, it is hard to prevent a small group of people from being toxic.

However, I just logged into the game and double checked the global chat. It actually has an "Ignore" function!!!!

So, why are people allowing themselves to be trolled by idiots while you can just hit ignore?

Everyone KNOWS that if you respond to idiots you encourage them to further act like idiots. Does everyone feels he/she has to respond to every single moron that's out there?

Please use the ignore button as needed and keep the chat the way it is and stop complaining about toxic players in chat!

If WE the reasonable players can not do that, then yes, go ahead and get rid of the Global chat.

• Like 2