Game-Labs Forum

General Opinions from the Community  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sail a first rate halfway or all the way across the map for a port battle?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you change your nation to be closer to key resources if these changes were applied?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think this patch makes it harder or easier for new players?

• Harder
    • Easier
  4. 4. Would you leave the game over these changes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

If you're lucky the sailing requirement will have people acting as a ferry service with 4x SOLs for the war effort, ripe for the taking should they be spotted :D

52 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

How did we even craft ships back then ? How did we even organize fleets that had ships sailing from all over and meet at a given point ?

We mainly captured third rates.

And then we had huge numbers of players, organising a clan into each player crafting a certain material, putting all together to let the main crafters do their job. Again, this is not possible anymore with only 1/10 to 1/5 the player numbers.

We have organised these fleets sailing from one end of the empire to another. True. But again. It was said that for example our clan had to bring 5 ships to the Port Battle so we looked for 5 guys out of 40 online to make the sail, while the rest did other stuff. Not possible anymore with only 5 guys online.

Was done after the captured 3rd rates were gone also.

Still, I am talking about practical levels that OW can and must be the essential venue of activity, not technical difficulties like gathering 12 players.

Maybe I am just not making myself clear.

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Was done after the captured 3rd rates were gone also.

Still, I am talking about practical levels that OW can and must be the essential venue of activity, not technical difficulties like gathering 12 players.

Maybe I am just not making myself clear.

But after captured 3rd rates were gone, everyone had set up his or her own fleet of potential ships. Now we have the wipe and nobody has ships. Everyone needs say half dozen ships to be set up for PB, OW hunting, trading etc. Nobody wants to craft these ships, though.

OW still usefull because you still need to carry ressources on the OW, which can be raided; with the logout timer for port battles screening wil be much more important etc.

• Like 1

We may be living in different alternate realities. Outposts are completely full of ships. Replacements everywhere :)

But, getting over of the present aspect I think the main aim to bring the risk reward to previous levels, even with all the short-comings that we tested through and through.

The named changes do really change a lot of things. Testbed gives a glimpse but hard to know for sure until it hits Live. Game is the same but a lot of necessary logistics and risks inherent to age of sail are back. Combat is also more visceral. Raw. Plus there's a lot of little things that one must discover, especially in combat. All in all the same old Naval Action.

It's interesting that 55 people have participated in the poll (that's more than peak on the servers) and half of them have said that they would consider leaving with these changes and @admin has expressed no concern or interest in changing certain views on topics. This update will kill casual gameplay and casual players will leave. Simple as that

18 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You're only as strong as what you can secure, right?  Isnt that what we've always told Spain?

Valid point. 

Given though that they are taking out alliances which will eliminate the ability to build production buildings in an allied port, you may sometimes be forced to conquer a "far flung" region because it either has a critical resource or a critical regional crafting trait.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chijohnaok said:

Valid point. 

Given though that they are taking out alliances which will eliminate the ability to build production buildings in an allied port, you may sometimes be forced to conquer a "far flung" region because it either has a critical resource or a critical regional crafting trait.

Agreed.  Thats why i'm a big fan of "bonuses" being nerfed.