Game-Labs Forum

'Proposed' British Kickstarter Pack (With Plans)

I3KusmW.jpg

Feel free to propose other British ships. 

6 Guns Armed Cutter 1763 (HMS Sherborne)

R4vYCOX.jpg

14 Guns Brig (Cherokee) 

1ZFUudy.jpg

wQc43hC.jpg

14 Guns Armed Merchant

h6vT1Ph.jpg

16 Guns Sloop (HMS Druid)

QtU2Q7r.jpg

18 Guns Armed Trader

e1t3FFG.jpg

18 Guns Ship

czB6BVB.jpg

18 Guns Armed Trader (HMS Minorca)

MZK8qWm.jpg

18 Guns 6th Rate (HMS Advice Prize)

vlNJbDY.jpg?1

20 Guns Privateer 1727 (HMS Flamborough)

o9aqITx.jpg

20 Guns Privateer 

dr1ekBy.jpg

20 Guns Corvette (HMS Amazon)

2RJ34ST.jpg

22 Guns Frigate 1781 (HMS Myrmidon)

L1Q5hQp.jpg?1

22 Guns 6th Rate (HMS Ariadne)

oe8GCIF.jpg

28 Guns 6th Rate (HMS Lizard)

HOQy19K.jpg

32 Guns Frigate (HMS Ambuscade)

n70oqkX.jpg

32 Guns Frigate (HMS Unicorn)

vaenDb9.jpg

34 Guns Frigate 1777 (USS Hancock/Iris)

jGw5Pxs.jpg

38 Guns Frigate (HMS Minerva)

large.jpg

38 Guns Frigate 1794 (HMS Diana)

Hoj8YN8.jpg

44 Guns 5th Rate 1646 (HMS Adventure)

O5PuQu1.jpg

44 Guns 5th Rate 1741 (Prince Edward)

Qj4crXO.jpg

44 Guns 5th Rate 1782 (HMS Seraphis)

2O8srkg.jpg

48 Guns 4th Rate (HMS Mordaunt)

iE0LnZk.jpg

50 Guns 4th Rate 1711 (HMS Ormonde)

iHCS4c1.jpg

50 Guns 4th Rate 1774 (HMS Experiment)

0fZ62lT.jpg

70 Guns 3rd Rate 1679 (HMS Berwick)

MsyYyg9.jpg

70 Guns 3rd Rate 1678 (HMS Lenox)

bGiDDqE.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate 1787 (Colossus)

fL9HvSd.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate 1778 (HMS Alfred)

PVRQpGR.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate 1795 (HMS Kent) French Design

TyrEDoZ.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate (HMS Anibbal)

NJfJRZf.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate (HMS Pegase)

JLD9xUK.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate (HMS Pompee)

hSiHfu1.jpg

74 Guns 3rd Rate (Black Prince Class)

W0kLVPg.jpg

80 Guns 2nd Rate (Tonnant) French Design

iixvO05.jpg

90 Guns 2nd Rate 1788 (HMS Barfleur)

IxZv0j4.jpg

90 Guns 2nd Rate 1788 (HMS Prince)

mHbBoWW.jpg

pjzBjsK.jpg

98 Guns 2nd Rate 1782 (HMS Glory)

large.jpg

98 Guns 2nd Rate 1782 (HMS Atlas)

large.jpg

98 Guns 2nd Rate 1782 (HMS Duke)

large.jpg

100 Guns 1st Rate 1719 (Royal William)

lyyieqv.jpg

100 Guns 1st Rate 1670 (HMS Prince)

PHMUJI2.jpg

100 Guns 1st Rate 1786 (HMS Royal Sovereign)

ZXzhCBK.jpg

100 Guns 1st Rate 1814 (HMS St. Vincent)

9ANEsTi.jpg

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Liquicity said:

I kinda want to see the HMS Unicorn ingame just because of its name

lol yeah and blow of its bowsprit :) just to make it a little less of a unicorn..

That's a long list! I'd still like to see the Cruizer/Snake (two ships, one hull!) on the list. I have plans for that one if you need them posted.

One correction, the draught of HMS Cyane you have listed as a 32-gun frigate is actually an 18-gun Bittern-class quarterdeck sloop modified by Chapelle into a War of 1812-style appearance. Chapelle had the wrong Cyane when he was writing his book, he was supposed to get the draught for the proper 26-gun Banterer-class post ship, not the smaller 1790s Cyane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maturin said:

Wait'll you heard about HMS Fairy and HMS Rainbow.

Sounds like a perfect fleet setup for my upcoming CARE(bear) clan.
HMS Unicorn, HMS Rainbow, HMS Fairy, UNITE! TOGETHER WE RULE

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ned Loe said:

20 Guns Corvette (HMS Amazon)

2RJ34ST.jpg

22 Guns Frigate 1781 (HMS Myrmidon)

L1Q5hQp.jpg?1

I'd really love to see both HMS Amazon and HMS Myrmidon implemented in game,

but maybe not in the same Kickstarter Pack, as  they were almost sisterships :

Both carried 22 guns (20 + 2 on QD) in the Royal Navy whereas La Panthère only carried 20 guns (on UD) in the French Navy.

Edited by LeBoiteux

I'd rather see the HMS Caledonia in game (and thus add 18pdrs to L'Océan to keep it competitive), with early stern, than a Nelson class 1rst rate that saw action much later.

Also, will a 17th century ship be competitive in NA?  Personnaly, I'd rather focus on the late 18th, early 19th cenrty period.(American revolution to the fall of Napoleon).

Edited by Serk

As part of a British Kickstarter pack, I'd also suggest a couple of things concerning a British ship already in game, HMS Surprise :

1) Improving 3D modelling of ingame 38 gun-HMS Surprise a bit (as USS Constitution will be improved in the US Kickstarter pack)

2) Adding a French version of HMS Surprise. HMS Surprise was the British name of a captured French Corvette, L'Unité, built in 1794 and that carried only 30 guns (24 x 8-pdr on upper deck + 6 x 6-pdr on quarterdeck, according to Boudriot). L'Unité and her 30 guns/ports could be added.

Edited by LeBoiteux
for clarity

What do you mean?!?

Our ingame Surprise is the real one. The movie thing was armed with 12 pounders whereas the unite/surprise was armed with french8 and later with british 9 pounders.

If I remember correctly there was another HMS Surprise of the Leda class - HMS Trincomalee's sister. (and yes I do remember correctly: link)

On 4/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, Talos said:

That's a long list! I'd still like to see the Cruizer/Snake (two ships, one hull!) on the list. I have plans for that one if you need them posted.

One correction, the draught of HMS Cyane you have listed as a 32-gun frigate is actually an 18-gun Bittern-class quarterdeck sloop modified by Chapelle into a War of 1812-style appearance. Chapelle had the wrong Cyane when he was writing his book, he was supposed to get the draught for the proper 26-gun Banterer-class post ship, not the smaller 1790s Cyane.

Could you post them please. Thanks .

2 hours ago, Ned Loe said:

Could you post them please. Thanks .

Sure. The Cyane plans in the first post are ones I scanned too. Be sure to correct that to 18-gun quarterdeck sloop as well, it isn't a frigate and not a 32-gunner.58eba5153cf5d_HMSEperviersmall.thumb.jpg.27204f1d866c6ccdb218c19005a98883.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Armstrong said:

A good number of these ships are prizes (amazone, annibal, Pompee, Pegase, ambuscade, Iris (the one shown is danish, not the continental frigate Hancock)) so aren't representative of British shipbuilding, but rather the designs of their original nationalities 

In any European navy, there were :

- ship captures

- shipbuilders travelling across Europe

- copying and adaptations, e. g. French Panthère becoming HMS Amazon whose plan served to build HMS Myrmidon and sisterships

- ships designed and built abroad

- local preference (a given shipbuilder having his preferences)

ie. a lot of "mixing". Were there British characteristics and specific innovations/design ? An interesting matter for a non-expert like me.

3 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

In any European navy, there were :

- ship captures

- shipbuilders travelling across Europe

- copying and adaptations, e. g. French Panthère becoming HMS Amazon whose plan served to build HMS Myrmidon and sisterships

- ships designed and built abroad

- local preference (a given shipbuilder having his preferences)

ie. a lot of "mixing". Were there British characteristics and specific innovations/design ? An interesting matter for a non-expert like me.

Your points are all fair! However:

-in NA there is no limit to what nation sails s ship, so a french design is a french design, even if the Royal Navy captured and used it. 

-you are right that design influences crossed borders, but that doesn't mean they were unaltered. 

-the British copied many french designs, but always altered them to their own requirements in some way, even if only in decoration and deck layout (though it was usually more) 

- Amazone is a french ship, though myrmidion a British-built one despite being highly influenced by the french design. Even though they lifted the hull form, they shortened the hull in proportion to width and depth from Amazone's design, reflecting a long standing differences in preference between the British and french for length:breadth ratio. Put simply, the french preferred longer hulls for a given width to give more speed, whereas the British preferred shorter ones to allow for more manouverability. This sometimes had greater impacts in what armaments vessels of a given tonnage or class could carry on each navy. For example, ambuscade was nearly the same length as British 12pdr frigates of the day, yet carried a 9pdr main armament due to less width . 

-there were some regional differences in design, but were always (to my knowledge) less than national design differences. Standardization minimized these greatly, and by 1800 (or even the mid 1700s) most all European nations built from standard national designs rather than single one-off designs. One-offs weren't unheard of but were often experimental in some way and made up a very small portion of a navy. 

31 minutes ago, Maxvityuk said:

Swan-class ship-sloop 1766 HMS "Kingfisher"

I love small Corvettes/ship sloop. 

HMS Kingfisher carries 14 x 6-pdr, according to threedecks.org. 

She makes me think of the beautiful French 12-gun Amarante (1747) :

• Like 1