Game-Labs Forum

Twitch overlay aka NA custom UI

Koltes

Just been fooling around with my Twitch stream overlay to add a bit of character to my sea adventures :)

Because Naval Action UI is dynamic and changes in the OW, Battle Instance and when you aiming, this overlay only works in Battle Instance sailing. I just have to switch it off in OW. Will make another one later that fits OW too.

r9jb7Rz.jpg

Edited by koltes
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Good looking :)

If this is a prototype you are definitely on the right path :)

Link us the channel :)

Lol, I only started streaming man. Total newb in that sort of thing, but here it is https://www.twitch.tv/koltes37

1 minute ago, Liquicity said:

Only missing a Piratehat now for your facecam

looks good

Cheers buddy!

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Lol, I only started streaming man. Total newb in that sort of thing, but here it is https://www.twitch.tv/koltes37

Honestly, who cares how many views you get or who is watching. If you enjoy doing it do it. 

On the main subject, I like the concept you have. I might have gone with a more worn wood look. Gold lettering for the buttons and the typeface as if done in quill and ink. Although I would have gone with as small of a panel as possible. Minimize the amount the UI blocks of the game itself. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 3:21 AM, z4ys said:

I hope we get the possibility to customize our ui. The way you have yours isn't what I would go for. Taste differ. 

I actually prefer the transparent/semi-transparent buttons and graphics.  I don't want to see the other stuff.  I want crisp and clean so I can see the actual game.  Port UI is another story.  Load that out with graphics so it isn't boring, but for OW/battle, keep it very minimal.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 2

Just now, Prater said:

I actually prefer the transparent/semi-transparent buttons and graphics.  I don't want to see the other stuff.  I want crisp and clean so I can see the actual game.

The game itself has such a nice environment. And in my opinion it dosent need a shiny UI, that would corrupt the beauty.

• Like 3

Guys,

Slightly off topic. The thread above by [Rediii]. I'm testing it out over the weekend. If you know what you are doing give it a go. Don't bluff because ripping it out is hard work if you don't understand it.

I think the [CTRL] + H hides the UI overlay. This makes the game look stunning. So, I also would strongly agree "Less is More..." with a semi transparent overlay.

Norfolk.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:15 PM, koltes said:

Just been fooling around with my Twitch stream overlay to add a bit of character to my sea adventures :)

I like the bottom part of the overlay. It feels like it's a part of your ship. For my tastes the top portion of overlay could be omitted. Having both gives too much of a boxed in feeling while at sea (closing out the skyline). Good job!

Edited by Captiva
changed wording
  • Like 2

Looking at this again, it's fine as a Twitch overlay, not necessarily as game UI.

I would like something of the compass frills you have there.  That's needed, imo.  The UI for OW and Combat should be clean and show off the game visuals, but - that doesn't mean it has to look like a gui from a sub game.

A big thing for me is font choice, I do hope the devs have something more elegant and organic, something reflecting the Napoleonic age yet readable. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pad Seayew said:

Looking at this again, it's fine as a Twitch overlay, not necessarily as game UI.

Yeah all it is is just a stream overlay to show my individual feel for the game. I wanted to give people similar fillings. Its an act that is all.

As of actual game UI it should be elegant and minimal but also in 17-18 century style though clean and not cluttered. Like frills around compass dont clutter because compas is already there, but it adds old fashion character. Also some buttongs could be half transparent until you get your mouse over them, then they highlight. Also imho ship and cannon diagrams needs to be vertical, not horisontal in relation to how we look at out ships. Naturally we look at our ships with stern behind and bow in front. Same should be done for ships diagrams. As they are horizontal right now its hard to read sometimes which side is getting damaged. Cannons should have port side on a left (its currently a top row) and starboard on right.

Those are the things that mainly keep bugging me even after 1,5 years of gaming. 

Edited by koltes
  • Like 3